+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Critical
  • 2 Post By JLuvs

Thread: Taxi Brooklyn (NBC)

Taxi Brooklyn (NBC)

I've put spoilers on this thread, but will put in hidden spoilers for the comparisons. And sorry, I feel this time it's needed.

OK, this is that new show on NBC where an officer cannot drive anymore, and has a Taxi driver drive her around in exchange for clearing his name.

Well, started off decent enough...

... BUT...

It's almost blatantly a ripoff of a certain ABC show IMHO the more I watched it.

What and how it's a rip off are in spoilers right now out of respect for the Pacific Coast watchers.

Click to see Spoiler:
    It's a ripoff of "Castle" and it's pretty much in your face.

You have the officer (and a detective is an officer, so that doesn't wash as being different) who needs help - oh and SIMILAR first names: Kate Beckett -Castle, Detective Cat Sullivan - This show.

Then you have the non-traditional sidekick - Richard Castle; Leo Romba

You have the hard nose leader of the group - male in Taxi Brooklyn, the current one in "Castle"

You have said leaders give hell to the detective/officers for being non-traditional and punishing them for it.

Both in New York on top of it.

You have the detectives enter into the world of being a detective/officer because someone murdered their parent. Kate - her mother, Cat - her father.

I will say that Leo Romba is actually an interesting character, and I like his claustrophobia. It is an unusual quirk for someone in these movies.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if ABC is watching this, keeping an eye on it and will most likely put a cease and desist or sue them for infringement. There's too many similarities in content that they may as well say "NBC's version of '(said show)'"

I mean - I will say I didn't like NBC's take on "The Greatest American Hero" with "Greatest American HeroINE" (which BTW, they did buy from ABC back in the mid-'80s, but at least they attempted to be a bit interesting and different in the writing.

This was just a massive disappointment because of what they did IMHO. I won't be watching again.
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 06-25-2014 at 11:12 PM.

Re: Taxi Brooklyn *spoilers*

You don't need to use spoiler tags once the show has aired on the East coast. Posters who don't want to know what happened in the episode need to steer clear of the thread until they've had a chance to watch. The only reason you should use spoiler tags is to discuss events that haven't occurred on the show yet.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: Taxi Brooklyn

I loved the show and will keep watching it. I was happy to see one of my favorites from Blue Bloods as being in the cast. Really enjoyed the opener. I love Castle but to be honest the dynamics are different enough to keep me interested in both. I think the feel of both shows is totally different and the only similarity that stuck out to me was the main characters parent being killed. Glad to see Lexie back :-)
    Coco46 and inthegarden like this.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Re: Taxi Brooklyn *spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    You don't need to use spoiler tags once the show has aired on the East coast. Posters who don't want to know what happened in the episode need to steer clear of the thread until they've had a chance to watch. The only reason you should use spoiler tags is to discuss events that haven't occurred on the show yet.
    Thanks Critical - I think in this case I was so disappointed in what I felt when watching it I wanted to give others a fair chance to watch it unspoiled or uncommented (of sorts) to see if they saw the similarities. But now I know - and of course knowing is half the battle (the other half is remembering that this is OK - Go G.I. Joe ).

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: Taxi Brooklyn (NBC)

The whole premise of the show is ridiculous! I don't see any way a police department would let a civilian drive police officers around. In reality, if her license was suspended, I would think she would be given a desk job until it was reinstated or put with a police officer partner who could drive.

Grimm and Sleepy Hollow almost cross over that line with Monroe assisting Nick and Ichabod assisting Abbie but they manage it so maybe I'm more worried about that aspect of this show than I need to be.
    Last edited by pikachu; 06-26-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

I do think that the best part of this TV series is the actor playing Leo if the rest of the cast and the writers can rise to his level then this show has a chance of surviving and thriving otherwise ... no.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

This is another show that saw a bump in ratings over the first week.

I haven't watched, but it sounds like a rip-off of that Jimmy Fallon-Queen Latifah movie, Taxi. I can't imagine why they'd want to do something similar, considering what a bomb the movie was.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I dvrd he first two episodes. Tried to watch the premiere episode but didn't like it after the first 15 minutes. Quickly deleted both from my dvr. Now days, there's simply too many other choices. If a show doesn't pull me in right away...I'm done. Sad, but true.

+ Reply to Thread