+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: The Sixties

  1. #1
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,428

    The Sixties

    I wanted to alert everyone to this series that begins tomorrow night on CNN. It is a 10 part exploration of the decade of the 1960's, hosted by Anderson Cooper & produced by Tom Hanks. This will be a good one, I have no doubt.

  2. #2
    FORT Fogey momrek06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    3,817

    Re: The Sixties

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I wanted to alert everyone to this series that begins tomorrow night on CNN. It is a 10 part exploration of the decade of the 1960's, hosted by Anderson Cooper & produced by Tom Hanks. This will be a good one, I have no doubt.
    Thanks so much, razorbacker! DVR is now all set!
    KAREN

  3. #3
    There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    19,275

    Re: The Sixties

    They will probably start in 1964 which is when the counter culture got rolling. Anything prior was dragging out the last of the fifties. Sigh, lived it, guess I'll watch it.

    ETA: I found it on my guide for tomorrow evening and it's an hour that looks at TV in that era. Have there been previous episodes? I guess they'll tell us at the end when the next episode airs.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 05-29-2014 at 12:32 AM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  4. #4
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,428

    Re: The Sixties

    Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    They will probably start in 1964 which is when the counter culture got rolling. Anything prior was dragging out the last of the fifties. Sigh, lived it, guess I'll watch it.

    ETA: I found it on my guide for tomorrow evening and it's an hour that looks at TV in that era. Have there been previous episodes? I guess they'll tell us at the end when the next episode airs.
    A couple of months ago, or maybe longer (time flies when you get old), they did air an episode on the music of the era. I reckon they will do that one again at some point. And as to your last sentence, the 2nd episode airs next week. I presume this will now be a weekly until all 10 have aired.

  5. #5
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,428

    Re: The Sixties

    Did anyone see the show? I thought it was really well done with lots of good flashbacks. And it was really smart to begin the series with a look at TV in the 60's & the light the medium shined on the way society was changing. Next up is the Cuban Missile Crisis,

  6. #6
    Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,978

    Re: The Sixties

    I caught a late rerun last night (god, insomnia is a beyotch) but I liked the way they put the program together and will make a point of catching the next episode. I was born in the early 70s, so I didn't get to see live a lot of the tv shows they talked about; of course I took in countless hours of the Carol Burnett show in repeats as a kid, but I had no idea how over-saturated the airwaves were with variety shows. I hope CNN is prepping a special for 50 years from now about all the cop and reality shows.

  7. #7
    FORT Fogey tinderbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,190

    Re: The Sixties

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Did anyone see the show? I thought it was really well done with lots of good flashbacks. And it was really smart to begin the series with a look at TV in the 60's & the light the medium shined on the way society was changing. Next up is the Cuban Missile Crisis,
    I watched the show and enjoyed it. I was born in the 50s but remember a lot of what the 60s were like....especially the tv shows. What I remember most is the fact they we had to get off of the chair/sofa to physically change the channel. It didn't take long considering there were only three or four channels to choose from. heh I also remember that the tv was a console which we considered a piece of furniture. (Much like the stereo/"record player")

  8. #8
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,947

    Re: The Sixties

    I missed it, but will catch up if possible. Sounds great IMO.

  9. #9
    FORT Fogey momrek06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    3,817

    Re: The Sixties

    DH and I watched it last night!!! We loved it!!! Very well done!!!

    HERE IS THE SCHEDULE....

    CNN explores the 1960s
    Episode 1: Television Comes of Age (May 29)
    Episode 2: The World on the Brink (June 5)
    Episode 3: The Assassination of Kennedy (June 12)
    Episode 4: The War in Vietnam (June 19)
    Episode 5: A Long March to Freedom (June 26)
    Episode 6: The British Invasion (July 10)
    Episode 7: The Space Race (July 17)
    Episode 8: The Times They are A-Changin' (July 24)
    Episode 9: 1968 (July 31)
    Episode 10: Sex, Drugs, and Rock N' Roll (August 7)
    razorbacker likes this.
    KAREN

  10. #10
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,428

    Re: The Sixties

    I love that they have access to so many of the old new shows & reporters. Huntley/Brinkley, Uncle Walter, & so many others that were transforming TV news as they went along. It was another good show & really honed in on just how close the world came to the end.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.