+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Halt and Catch Fire on AMC

Halt and Catch Fire on AMC

Premiers June 1 @10pm.

Halt and Catch Fire is set roughly one year after IBM all but corners the market with the release of its first major product – the IBM PC.

In this fictional drama, a former IBM executive, Joe MacMillan (Lee Pace) plans to reverse engineer the flagship product of his former employer and forces his current company, Cardiff Electric, into the personal computer race.

MacMillan enlists the help of Gordon Clark (Scoot McNairy), a great engineer whose unrealized dreams of creating a revolutionary product have created tension in his marriage to Donna (Kerry Bishé), and Cameron Howe (Mackenzie Davis), a volatile prodigy who puts her future in jeopardy to join MacMillan's rogue PC project.

Halt and Catch Fire thrives on the spirit of innovation and explores what it's like to stand at the forefront of something world-changing and work towards it, no matter the risk.
    KAREN

Re: Halt and Catch Fire on AMC

I'm totally IN. I'd watch Lee Pace read the phone book for an hour.
    JLuvs and momrek06 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm totally IN. I'd watch Lee Pace read the phone book for an hour.
    Haha! Me too!

Here you go, Critical!

[VIDEO] 'Halt and Catch Fire': Meet Joe MacMillan - Hollywood Reporter
    KAREN

It sounds interesting. It's a scripted show with professional actors, so I'm certainly going to try it out.
    momrek06 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

This is very encouraging!
    'Halt And Catch Fire' Gives Lee Pace The Starring Role He Deserves
    Posted: 05/30/2014 3:54 pm EDT Updated: 3 hours ago

If you're a fan of Lee Pace or if you enjoy dramas set in the technology world, "Halt and Catch Fire" (10 p.m. ET Sunday, AMC) is worth checking out.

Since AMC made the very strange decision to only send out one episode, it's hard to make much more of a case for "Halt" than that. Given that the network greenlit the show a year ago and production ended at least a month ago, it's difficult to believe that there weren't more episodes available to share with the media, which usually gets at least a few episodes of new cable dramas. Of course, the stinginess with episodes could be a sign of caution stemming from the (deserved) drubbings that "Turn" and "Low Winter Sun" received. Or it could say something about where "Halt" is heading next, which would be a shame -- but to be fair to the show, we just don't know.

In any event, consider this a provisional review, one that makes that case that "Halt" is probably worth watching for at least a few weeks. The pilot features multiple scenes of people hunched over the disassembled innards of an early-'80s personal computer, which is not the most dynamic of scenarios, but the good news is, "Halt" has more promising elements as well.

Chief among them is Pace, who has an uncanny ability to play remote or arrogant characters who are nevertheless fascinating and who even betray hints of vulnerability. Pace's flashy salesman character, Joe MacMillan, burns with a mysterious intensity and there are indications that something dark lies just below the surface of his slick, practiced charm. Despite the obvious danger, MacMillan's charisma ends up being a draw for sad-sack engineer Gordon Clark (Scoot McNairy), who has shelved his dreams of taking the personal computer in exciting new directions.

The first hour, while decently paced, does display some growing pains. If there's one thing I never need to see again in a cable drama (or any drama), it's a female character whose main job is to put limits on a man who wants to Take Risks and Do Things (Women! Why don't they ever get it??). Kerry Bishé is forced into the maddening Complaining Cable Wife role in "Halt," unfortunately. Donna Clark, Gordon's spouse, once shared his technology dreams, but not after a big project flamed out on the pair. Donna's role in the pilot is to remind Gordon that he has a family (you know, that thing that always drags down the big dreamers), and it's my fond hope that Bishé's role is expanded well beyond those semi-shrill parameters as the show goes forward.

MacMillan's boxy, double-breasted suits and his '80s bravado take up much of the mental and physical space in "Halt," but Toby Huss is terrific as Joe's irascible boss, and Mackenzie Davis also makes a strong impression as Cameron Howe, a bored computer major who is unimpressed with the state of the industry's ambition in the early '80s. Unlike "Silicon Valley" -- which is set several decades later -- "Halt" makes it clear that women have always been involved in technology. Don't get me wrong, I generally like "Silicon Valley" (though the second half of the season took a dismaying turn toward dopiness and crudeness), but its insistence on treating female programmers and engineers as nearly non-existent unicorns is not just lazy and troubling, it's incorrect.

There's a tentativeness to "Halt's" first hour -- it doesn't end especially strongly -- but overall, the drama has a mostly credible pilot and lead actors who will probably be able take the show in compelling directions. We'll just have to see how the program runs from here.
    'Halt And Catch Fire' Gives Lee Pace The Starring Role He Deserves
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'll watch just about anything on AMC at this point. They have really invested in some great shows. Have this one set up to tape. Can't wait for Hell on Wheels to start up!
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I'll watch just about anything on AMC at this point. They have really invested in some great shows. Have this one set up to tape. Can't wait for Hell on Wheels to start up!
    That still throws me every time. Can you still buy tapes?

The show is getting pretty good reviews. I'm looking forward to it.

Tape = record for me lol
    Punkin likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I DVRd the premier episode when AMC did a "sneak preview" about a week or ten days ago. The first time watching it I fell asleep very early on. I gave it another try last night and liked it enough to the point where I wanted MORE MORE MORE when the episode ended. Now I have to wait until June 8 for a new one! lol

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    I DVRd the premier episode when AMC did a "sneak preview" about a week or ten days ago. The first time watching it I fell asleep very early on. I gave it another try last night and liked it enough to the point where I wanted MORE MORE MORE when the episode ended. Now I have to wait until June 8 for a new one! lol
    The early bird gets wormy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast