+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Summer - 2014

Re: Summer - 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    Interesting! I didn't know that about Allen Funt, but somehow, I'm not surprised. Apparently there have always been some really nasty people off camera. We all know about Mommy Dearest of course, and I remember hearing that Bing Crosby was the Daddy Dearest equivelant.
    I heard that Bing Crosby was a lot harsher with his first set of kids and much more mellow with his second set.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Interesting! I didn't know that about Allen Funt, but somehow, I'm not surprised. Apparently there have always been some really nasty people off camera. We all know about Mommy Dearest of course, and I remember hearing that Bing Crosby was the Daddy Dearest equivelant.
    From what I have read you can add Red Skelton to that mix.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    From what I have read you can add Red Skelton to that mix.
    That's interesting. I didn't know that about Red Skelton. I did know about Bing Crosby and his first five kids.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I didn't know about Red Skelton either. Wow, that's a surprise, but, to me, it's almost always a surprise. Although, occasionally I do get that 'vibe' from certain celebrities like, for example, Kelsey Grammar. (And his behavior during his divorce seemed to pretty much confirm what a nightmare he must be, in real life.)

For those of you that decided against watching The Lottery, you have been missing out on a really good show. It's kind of Sci - Fi, kind of political thriller, kind of who done it. I'm liking it.
    inthegarden likes this.

Finishing up the SyFy channels two seasons of Metal Hurlant Chronicles TV series produced and filmed in France & Belgian. It's an anthology based on the magazine Metal Hurlant also known as Heavy Metal here in the US. Wow ... it's bad ... I basically fast forward through a lot of it.

I didn't know about Red Skelton either. Wow, that's a surprise, but, to me, it's almost always a surprise. Although, occasionally I do get that 'vibe' from certain celebrities like, for example, Kelsey Grammar. (And his behavior during his divorce seemed to pretty much confirm what a nightmare he must be, in real life.)
    Folks need to learn to separate the characters these actors play versus who they are in real life. Show Biz can be a nasty business and you need to be tough to survive.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Folks need to learn to separate the characters these actors play versus who they are in real life. Show Biz can be a nasty business and you need to be tough to survive.
    And I'm just the opposite, Bearcata. For me, once I know what someone is like in 'real life' it totally affects my reaction to them in a film or tv show. For example, when Mel Gibson showed his true colors several years ago, I could never stand to watch him perform again. And the opposite is true for me too. If I really like someone's personality in 'real life' I will try really hard to enjoy their performance, even if, objectively, it's not as good as it could/should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    No, I really don't. Sorry, but Bing Crosby was a terrible abusive father - physically and emotionally. That's not about him having to survive in show business. He was a bad person. Why would I want to watch his movies? I can't separate the two, especially since Bing always tried to project a wholesome, family man image. What a crock.

OTOH, Alec Baldwin is just a jerk. I've never been under the impression that he was a nice guy, not does he really play nice guys, so that doesn't matter as much to me.

There's a difference between being kind of a jerk on set - and I still don't think the "it's a tough business" thing is an excuse - and being a a-hole to people in your regular life off set. Frankly, I don't think there's any excuse for acting like a jerk to people, especially when you're making a ton of money to be an actor.

If I know that an actor beats his wife or an actress is nasty to her fans, that will often affect whether or not I want to see anything they're in. Maybe those things don't have to do with their talent as a performer, but I'm human and it colors my feelings about them.

Anyway, not really on the topic of Summer 2014, but there it is.

I tried The Lottery a few times and just got bored.
    Florimel and Imperfect1 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    No, I really don't. Sorry, but Bing Crosby was a terrible abusive father - physically and emotionally. That's not about him having to survive in show business. He was a bad person. Why would I want to watch his movies? I can't separate the two, especially since Bing always tried to project a wholesome, family man image. What a crock.

OTOH, Alec Baldwin is just a jerk. I've never been under the impression that he was a nice guy, not does he really play nice guys, so that doesn't matter as much to me.

There's a difference between being kind of a jerk on set - and I still don't think the "it's a tough business" thing is an excuse - and being a a-hole to people in your regular life off set. Frankly, I don't think there's any excuse for acting like a jerk to people, especially when you're making a ton of money to be an actor.

If I know that an actor beats his wife or an actress is nasty to her fans, that will often affect whether or not I want to see anything they're in. Maybe those things don't have to do with their talent as a performer, but I'm human and it colors my feelings about them.

Anyway, not really on the topic of Summer 2014, but there it is.

I tried The Lottery a few times and just got bored.
    I did a bit of googling when the topic of Bing Crosby first came up. Gary Crosby, one of Bing's sons from his first marriage, is the one who authored the tell all book about Bing. What is interesting is all three of his brothers were upset with him for writing the book saying that he needed money and wrote about their dad in the worst possible way. The 3 brothers do all say he as a harsh disciplinarian but that he was also a good dad. It was also mentioned that Bing treated his boys like his dad treated him. He obviously learned better and had a younger second wife and none of his kids from his second marriage have anything bad to say about him.

I do think that the term abusive is thrown out there way too much and folks use it basically to screw each other over when it comes to custody fights etc .... especially when it comes to famous people.

+ Reply to Thread