+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Growing up Fisher

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Growing up Fisher

Another pleasant half hour comedy, like About a Boy, also on NBC, definitely something you could watch with your kids I'd say. It reminds me of Wonder Years...in fact the lead boy child looks a lot like Fred Savage in those years. The parents have separated, the older teen daughter and younger teen son still live with the somewhat ditzy mom (she grates on me a bit, she's so over the top), and the dad has moved into a new apt. The "kicker" is that dad, a successful lawyer, is totally blind...although very few people realize it. In part this is because he and his son have worked out ways to clue dad in, as has his law partner brother. However, now living alone dad has had to get a guide dog, and deal with people realizing he's blind. Amazingly this is based on a true story (see the father son picture at the credits). Also amazingly this has been well written so that there are not a ton of obvious blind jokes... in fact it is barely relevant in some episodes... it's basically a family sit com about a nice family. Again, I'm finding that even when the plot lines may be obvious the characters are nice enough people that you want to spend time with them. I recommend it for your summer viewing On Demand or in reruns if they have them.

Re: Growing up Fisher

I hate to be a killjoy, but it was cancelled yesterday.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Oh no............. I guess I should have posted earlier... Between this and the Michael J. Fox show I don't think we'll be seeing shows featuring disabilities for a while..... And this one was really pretty good... Well, still recommend it for your summer viewing if you can find it.

It was pretty good. I liked it, but it wasn't "must see" for me. It appears that others felt the same. I'm sorry to see it go, because it did have potential, and I liked all of the characters.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Count me in with the "pretty good" bunch. I though they went a bit broad with all the characters, but I did DVR it and watch it each week.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I'm bummed that they canceled it :-( While they took some liberties (for example, no one just gets a guide dog), they were spot-on on so many things.

My blind friends really enjoyed it, too. Their only complaint was that it needed a little more audio description as characters moved around. (Which is something the people who wrote the series should have known.)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Count me as ignorant, but is that something that one can order up, like closed captioning, or do you just mean in the script? If it isn't something that can be ordered up I wonder if someone could create an "app" for that. I've often thought how, if I lost my sight, I'd probably have to give up on my scripted TV shows, for just that reason....how can I tell if they are gazing soulfully into each other's eyes or being bored?

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Count me as ignorant, but is that something that one can order up, like closed captioning, or do you just mean in the script? If it isn't something that can be ordered up I wonder if someone could create an "app" for that. I've often thought how, if I lost my sight, I'd probably have to give up on my scripted TV shows, for just that reason....how can I tell if they are gazing soulfully into each other's eyes or being bored?
    Unfortunately, it can't be ordered up, at least not in the US, not right now. But I did mean just in the script...they could have added more descriptive text to what the folks were saying to give blind folks better perspective about what was happening. It wouldn't have always worked (like when we saw the daughter working at the yogurt bar), but it would have helped.

BTW, this will all begin to change as the CVAA (Communications and Video Accessibility Act) is implemented. The CVAA has lots of pieces and a staggered implementation to get everyone used to the new law. I believe audio description is included, but I forget when its deadline is. (The initial deadlines all covered captions.)

(And I've audio-described TV shows for my friends...it's not all that easy and I know I've never said "gazing soulfully into each other's eyes" ;-) I might have mentioned people looking bored, though. The easiest shows to audio-describe are reality shows, the hardest are procedural shows (Leverage, as much as I love it, was the worst to try to describe).)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Unfortunately, it can't be ordered up, at least not in the US, not right now. But I did mean just in the script...they could have added more descriptive text to what the folks were saying to give blind folks better perspective about what was happening. It wouldn't have always worked (like when we saw the daughter working at the yogurt bar), but it would have helped.

BTW, this will all begin to change as the CVAA (Communications and Video Accessibility Act) is implemented. The CVAA has lots of pieces and a staggered implementation to get everyone used to the new law. I believe audio description is included, but I forget when its deadline is. (The initial deadlines all covered captions.)

(And I've audio-described TV shows for my friends...it's not all that easy and I know I've never said "gazing soulfully into each other's eyes" ;-) I might have mentioned people looking bored, though. The easiest shows to audio-describe are reality shows, the hardest are procedural shows (Leverage, as much as I love it, was the worst to try to describe).)
    Very cool! As someone who grew up with radio serials I know a lot can be done via dialogue, but most TV writers aren't used to that.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

They are going to be blowing off a couple of episodes, one after another this week, according to my TV guide. I think it said Monday.

+ Reply to Thread