Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Miss_Griss
  • 1 Post By Jamie5632
  • 2 Post By Miss_Griss

Thread: About a Boy

PWS
    FORT Fogey

About a Boy

I'll watch anything with Minnie Driver in it, so hung in there with this, and have to say that despite some cliches and sappy moments it's quite endearing. The "boy" is a very good actor which helps with his unlikely part as the naive yet adult child in the story. If you have On Demand or if they do reruns of it I recommend it for a summer show....and by the standards of today it is quite PG....nothing like 2 Broke Girls or Two and a half men....with the constant gratuitously offensive language, insults and situations. And this despite the fact that the male lead begins the series as a serial womanizer who befriends the little boy who moves in next door (child of Minnie, playing a hippie basically). They don't go the obvious way of having him fall for Minnie--he develops a very nice alternative love interest. Worth a shot--and I don't think those spoilers will spoil much, it's pretty obvious soon. Basically although some of the situations are trite and obvious, the actors are so pleasant you enjoy spending time with them. IMHO of course!

Re: About a Boy

I've been enjoying this show a lot. It's just plain sweet and entertaining. In the beginning, I felt that Minnie Driver was being underutilized, but they've begun adding more for her to do.
    football_chick likes this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Glad to know I'm not the only one enjoying this series, if let to grow it could grow well

I love this show and was so glad it was renewed for a second season. It is endearing without being too cutesy.
    PWS likes this.
    Wag more, bark less

Oh I am glad too.

I like it, too. At first I wasn't a big fan of Minnie Driver but she's grown on me. I started watching because I really enjoyed David Walton when he was on New Girl.

Also, I couldn't place his new girlfriend, Dr. Sam. When I looked her up I realized she was Tyra on Friday Night Lights. Love the dark hair on her.

I just watched the most recent episode of About a Boy, and kookie Fiona made my cry with her song and speech about "neighbors move."

Aww. The whole thing was super sweet in a not too saccharin way.

I'm glad this show was renewed. It will be interesting to see where things go next season. Wonder if Will stays in NY for a while. I can't see if working for him to be there forever, but I also want him to stay with Sam. What to do. (sigh)
    Last edited by Miss_Griss; 05-16-2014 at 11:31 PM.
    football_chick and PWS like this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Wow...I went through about a half dozen Kleenex by the end of that episode. And even the preceding one the same night at the end when Will hugs Marcus at the end.... As you say, not in a saccharin way. I can see how with different actors it could be too much, but the three main roles are perfectly cast and SO well acted, as are most of the minor roles. The only one(s) that grate for me are Laurie, his best friend's wife, who seems too over the top the shrew (yes, I can see why she finds Will's friendship annoying, but there should be some breaks sometimes, to make it more real) and occasionally also her husband. Fiona's role could be just a terrible cliche, but Minnie Driver makes her very believable...for that matter Marcus could be unreal as well, but the child they have playing him also really carries the part.
    One small quibble...no girls allowed/one day you'll like girls discussion followed an episode that clearly showed Marcus already having a crush on a girl I thought....

+ Reply to Thread