Penny Dreadful on Showtime

Punkin and SpringMaiden27 like this.
    KAREN

Re: Penny Dreadful on Showtime

At least it's a great title.
    Punkin and momrek06 like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I watched the first episode last night and I'm not sure what to make of it. I went in without any knowledge about the premise. In the first 15 minutes I was intrigued. Then they started going in a direction that seemed to imply a vampire story and I was much less interested. Then they went in an Egyptian direction that I'm not sure is supposed to be tied ot the vampires. Then there was a shot of the young doctor character that looked a bit menacing and I commented to my son that he could be Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde. Turns out he was Dr Frankenstein instead!

Right now it feels to be all over the place, but I'm going to keep watching for a least a couple more episodes to see if it grows on me.

The 2nd episode. WTF????
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

I watched the first episode and it was so dreadful and bloody that I haven't yet tried to watch the second episode that's sitting in my DVR.

My husband and I are watching. Yeah, the second episode, especially the sťance scene, was crazy! I know who Dorian Gray and Dr. Frankenstein are, but not really up to speed on classic literature so some characters will probably not be familiar to me until I look them up.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

I named my second son Dorian, so the fact that Dorian Gray makes an appearance may get him to watch another episode!

I finished the second episode last night. It was moving along, but it wasn't really getting me excited about where the story was going. Although I did find myself liking the progression with Frankenstein and Proteus and I was curious what we would find out about Proteus' past. THEN I got to the end - WTH!? I did NOT see that coming!!! I have to admit that the last moment was enough to make me commit to watching the next episode!

I'm still a couple of episodes behind. I was watching the episode where the American guy takes Brona to the theater. Near the end I was thinking that this show is really losing me. Then all of a sudden the scene turned into a seduction moment between the American and Dorian Gray. WTH!? I think this show may have just completely jumped the shark for me, because that seemed like it was only for "shock value".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just downloaded all the episodes from On Demand. Only watched the 1st episode so far. It was MUCH more gory than I was expecting. How's the series for those that are caught up? Is it worth it to keep watching? I agree with a previous post, the 1st episode seemed to be all over the place.

I've now watched all but last night's episode. I liked the episode showing Vanessa's back story explaining her connection to the main guy and his daughter. Then the last episode I watched was basically dedicated to Vanessa's possession and the other characters trying to help her.

This show suffers from a serious lack of consistency. At this point the Dorian Gray, Brona Croft, and Frankenstein's monster story lines could be completely removed and it would have no effect whatsoever on the overall trajectory of the main story. I think Dorian Gray's only purpose is to have sex with various other characters. Even the thread about the "vampires" and the "master" they keep talking about, and the Egyptian stuff doesn't seem well integrated. I had pretty much forgotten about the Egyptologist guy they talked to until they started talking about some evil being thinking Vanessa could be a goddess, and that thought felt like it had come out of left field as well. I honestly don't know why I'm still watching other than the fact that I'm this far in, so I might as well see how it plays out. *IF* there is a turn that manages to pull all the components together in a way that clarified the point of the show, then it might be worthwhile. Sadly, I don't really expect that to happen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast