+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Fargo, Tuesdays on FX

Re: Fargo, Tuesdays on FX

I guess it's kind of like Broadchurch, the British version. If I remember correctly, they are supposed to set the new season in another town. I have heard too much about it yet and I'm wondering how it will work with David Tenant apparently doing the U.S. version. I hope he can do both, but if I have to make a choice, it would certainly be for the British version.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I had a couple things going on in my brain when I heard about this show: first, as I recall, people either loved Fargo or didn't care for it at all...there was no middle ground. I loved it, still do. Second, not sure what exactly caused it but for as amazing as an actor Billy Bob Thornton is, some of his roles have left me cringing. (Example: Monsters Ball) (Conversely, I adore John Cusack and had to rekindle my relationship with Billy Bob when Pushing Tin came out.)

Well, I caught up with the episodes this past weekend. I think the last I saw was #6, and honestly, I thought it was the series ender. Haven't seen any schedules and such, so no idea how long it ran. Apparently, there are more episodes but for anyone watching, can you picture it as the ending? My imagination with the way things were left here just ran wild and it was like I got punched in the chest. Regarding my thoughts, I still love Fargo, even in tv format and Billy Bob is perfect in this role. Can't wait to see what happens next!
    Punkin and Marlena_M like this.

I posted about me trying to watch this series upthread. I just couldn't get into it, since it was so much like the movie. I did like the movie though.

Anyway, I had the funniest thing happen. I saw the name Fargo on FX and I decided to give it another chance and watch it. I tuned in and started getting interested. It was the part where the pregnant sheriff is patrolling near a frozen lake. I was so impressed with the actress who was playing that role. I couldn't get over how much she like Frances McDermond. It was uncanny how much she was like Frances. I said OMG, she's just like her. This is incredible!!!!!!!! Then she was taking the bad guy in when I realized.....it WAS THE MOVIE and not the series Fargo!!!!!!! lol I felt so foolish.
    Punkin, wannasee and white5199 like this.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Wannasee, I agree with much of what you said though unfortunately after the first 2 episodes I just didn't care anymore. I didn't care about the storylines and I didn't care about the characters. Billy Bob Thornton is such a gifted actor and he was so good in the Fargo series! It's like it just came so naturally for him. I felt his performance in Sling Blade was so thoroughly transformative that I never thought I'd be able to believe him in any other type of role. Glad I was wrong about that. He is so good! (as an actor lol - i find him to be wholly odd as a person though).
    wannasee likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Marlena_M, agree with the BB assessment! I can't explain what captivated me so much with this series, the plot twists are bizarre and keep me on the edge of my seat. It's not quite accurate but some of the character's moves, especially Billy Bob's, brought, "Needful Things" to mind. Seemingly unrelated actions that touch and even devastate multiple people, sometimes down the road. It really lured me in but I can completely understand how it wouldn't be enjoyable to everyone. For those watching, my biggest concern that the series ended after that last episode I saw (which was actually #5) was that I'd never know what the fish were about!

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Vintage Coen Brother's style. I absolutely loved this mini-series!
    Punkin and Florimel like this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Vintage Coen Brother's style. I absolutely loved this mini-series!
    Absolutely my favorite series this year! I was surprised to see no posts here after last week's shocking episode where you get to see more about Malvo and his operations. But a very satisfactory ending to the season yesterday. I'm expecting Emmy nominations and I hope for a new season.
    Uncle David likes this.

I loved the show. The finale was terrific. Definitely Coen bothers material. I loved that it was Colin Hanks character who finally put an end to Malvo. I loved Molly's father and Guy's daughter together. I loved the the police chief recognized that he really wasn't up to the job and offered Molly the job. Lester's end was also very good.

If the show comes back for another season, I hope the new cast is as good as this one. from me.
    Punkin, Uncle David and wannasee like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Billy Bob Thornton should win all kinds of awards for that performance. He was amazing. He was always good, but I never knew he was this good. In the beginning it seemed that Martin Freeman was overacting and chewing the scenery a little too much, but as his character transformed, you could see why he played the character the way he did in the first few episodes. It took me a good three episodes to get fully hooked and now I'm bummed that it's over.
    Punkin and wannasee like this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Congratulations to Billy Bob Thornton, Allison Tolman, and the show, itself, on their Critics Choice wins last night. Martin Freeman and Colin Hanks were also nominated, but Martin and Billy Bob were in the same category and Colin was up against The Normal Heart.

They separated the two categories for the Best Movie and Best Miniseries, so both won for the show in the category, but they did not separate the actors. I think if they were going to slit the categories for the shows, they should also have done ithe same for the actors, directors, writers, etc. JMO.
    Punkin and candor like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast