+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Turn (AMC)

Turn (AMC)

Did anyone else catch this new historical tv drama? It takes place in 1776 and focuses on the development of America's first spy ring started in the early days of the Revolutionary War.

I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it or not, but I found myself captivated by the events as they unfolded. It appears to have a very good cast of actors including Billy Elliot. I'll definitely be watching again. The pilot is repeating several times this week.

TURN - About AMC
    Punkin and momrek06 like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Re: Turn on AMC

Loved it!! Was going to DVR it and ended up just going ahead and watching. AMC doesn't show the greatest "classic" movies since TCM has been around, but their dramas are all very good
    Punkin, Florimel and momrek06 like this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I thought it was very good also, but I'm biased as I live one town over from Setauket--it's in our school district, and Strong's Neck is a local mini peninsula (with quite upscale housing, so still heavily wooded), the Caleb Brewster house still exists, right on a main road, Smithtown is the town to the other side of us from Setauket, and you can see various historical signage about many of the other characters and places as well locally. The legend of the black petticoat spy signal is one that gets revived in the local papers every few years, so we've been well aware of the history of the spy ring. Very cool to see it made into a drama. FYI, supposedly historically the hero's dad was not nearly such an adamant Tory, but for drama's sake he's been assigned that role (as a lot of local families were indeed split). Nice to see a thank you in the ad at the start (the one where they end it by saying, learn history!, from our local 3 Village Historical Society...the 3 villages (also the name of our school district) are Stony Brook, Setauket, and East Setauket, all on Long Island's North Shore (home of Great Gatsby type summer "cottages" mostly but not all closer to the city), and you can indeed see and row to Connecticutt on a good day. In fact before the coming of the railroad and good roads Long Island had much more in common with New England than NYC, as it was easier to get to---as you can see in the still extant colonial architecture. Oh, and G. Washington did indeed sleep here--post war he made a "tour" to thank the patriot supporters, including the spy ring.
    In later spring, summer and fall very pretty area to visit, for the historians out there---if you really like that colonial experience you can sleep at the 3 Village Inn in Stony Brook, and have bedrooms that date back to that era, and twisty stairwells up to them that you can hardly get a modern suitcase up! And eat in an award winning restaurant in the colonial era bar section.
    Anyway, I plan to watch the rest of it, but NOT just because of the local references!
    Punkin, Florimel, momrek06 and 1 others like this.

Watching a 'repeat' show right now thanks to this thread and DH and I love it!

It's so good!

Thanks
    Punkin likes this.
    KAREN

I liked the show as well, but man they had a lot of commercials. Thank the powers that be for DVR & fast forward.
    Punkin, momrek06 and mesachick like this.

I'm surprised no one corrected me on this, so I'll do it now. Of course, I didn't mean Billy Elliot in the starring role; I meant Jamie Bell, the actor who played Billy Elliott. Sorry for the brain malfunction.
    Punkin likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I just loved it! And, PWS, I am utterly gobsmacked by your proximity to these historic sites! You all in the East have such a longer history of America than we in California have. Until the 1820's we were a well established colony of Spain, and then part of Mexico until two years after the Gold Rush when we became a part of the States. We have no dramatic memories of how we went from Spain to Mexico and then the US. There must have been wars, but we have no history in the West that compares with the Revolutionary War and the beginnings of the United States. I love this history! This will be a favorite series!

Geeze, waterboarding seems to have been popular much longer than I thought!
    Last edited by Punkin; 04-08-2014 at 07:56 PM.
    inthegarden likes this.

Loved it! I get so excited when I watch a new series that I really like, and I really like this one. I'm anticipating many hours of enjoyment!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Thanks, Punkin---and they didn't teach us about waterboarding in our US history class either! Wonder if that was a little historical invention... I also got to see it this week on NCIS:LA... enough already. It did remind me of the witchcraft test...you know, throw her in the pond, if she survives she's a witch, if she drowns she was innocent....
    Re the US history in the NE---I feel like we have a lot, then I go to England...
    Glad people are enjoying it.
    Punkin likes this.

First can I say that when I saw the title of this thread I thought "Turn on AMC, why? What's on right this minute?" Doh!

Anyhow, I missed it but plan to catch it in reruns. Sounds interesting!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast