+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Turn (AMC)

Re: Turn on AMC

Quote Originally Posted by football_chick View Post
    First can I say that when I saw the title of this thread I thought "Turn on AMC, why? What's on right this minute?" Doh!

Anyhow, I missed it but plan to catch it in reruns. Sounds interesting!
    LOL football_chick. I created the thread and I never thought of that, probably because I had just seen the show. Guess I should have put Turn in quotation marks in the thread title or added someything like, "New AMC show," before the name.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Re: Turn (AMC)

Nah... I was just a bit slow that day. It was pretty funny when I realized it was about the show

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Well, I changed it up because I, too, was confused at first.
    football_chick likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

We loved it! My son is a total history buff so he ate it up. I love Jamie Bell so it's nice to see him back on the screen I agree that there were way too many commercials lol, so this is definitely one to DVR.

Really great pilot! Looking forward to the season. And thank god AMC doesn't pull the plug on its shows the way some others (*cough* NBC *cough*) do.
    Punkin and momrek06 like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Grrr, I forgot to watch last week and had to watch on my computer minus the captioning. With the accents and people whispering as they plot I'm sure I missed a lot, but most importantly I missed almost all the conversation between Anna and Abe's wife. I got the part about Abe's wife saying something like, it's ok if he sleeps around but don't try to break up my family....and Anna being all indignant and then saying that they had been unofficially engaged before...something happened that wound up with Abe kind of being forced to marry his wife. What happened? Was the wife originally married to Abe's dead brother Thomas? Was she a kind of mail order bride? Did the dad force the marriage to unite two plots of land? I have NO idea what was said there, and clearly it matters in terms of how we interpret everyone's relationship. If anyone heard it I'd appreciate a summary greatly. Thanks!

He had to break up with Anna to marry the woman his father chose for him in order to please his father.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Thanks, Punkin---so Thomas wasn't in the picture? This week I got the impression that she hadn't known them b efore the marriage?

If I'm remembering correctly, Thomas WAS engaged to Abe's now wife and was pressured to marry her when his brother died. It wasn't uncommon in many societies at that time for a younger brother to marry the fiancee or widow of an older brother that died. See Henry VIII's marriage to Catherine of Aragon, for example.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Very biblical....but the baby is his, right? He seems quite besotted with it.
    I wonder why dad was so hot for them to marry her, doesn't sound as if she brought in property...

I wanted to find out more about this type of marriage, which is called a levirate marriage. I knew that it was also practiced by ultra orthodox Jews, espcially Chasidim. What I learned that it is found in most religions, all races, and in national on every continent, each with its own reasons.

Levirate marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm can't recall if the boy is Abe's son. They don't appear to have a very intimate marriage. On the other hand his wife was only engaged to Thomas, not married to him, so it's unlikely she was pregnant. Does anyone know for sure?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast