+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ClosetRTWatcher
  • 1 Post By ClosetRTWatcher
  • 2 Post By Marlena_M
  • 1 Post By Marlena_M

Thread: Vice (HBO)

Vice (HBO)

I didn't see a thread started yet for this show. Vice is a documentary/news magazine style show on HBO. Some of the people involved with production whose names I recognized are Bill Maher, BJ Levin, and Fareed Zakaria. I just stumbled upon this show last week. It is just starting its second season, so I'm catching up with all the episodes from season one. Episodes are 30 minutes, and generally cover two different topics. They pack an amazing amount of information into a short period of time, without making feel overwhelming.

It covers some issues that I didn't even know existed! Just a sampling of the topics:
    • Matchmaking in China, where the one child policy has resulted in 50 million more men than women in the population.
    • A rise in cancer and birth defects in Afghanistan, which may be part of the aftermath of US activities during the war.
    • Oil piracy in Nigeria.
    • The rise in gang violence in Chicago, the reasons why and the implications.
    • A school in Albuquerque who is arming some teachers and teaching kids defense skills in case of an active shooter situation.
    • Taliban recruitment of children as suicide bombers.
    • Force-feeding of women in Mauritania. Where overweight women are preferred, and obesity is considered a symbol of wealth.
    • The drastic gap between the wealthy and poor residents of Mumbai.

For me the show isn't just about the topics. They are reported in a manner that completely draws me in. They seem to do a great job trying to get both sides of the story. Even topics that I didn't think would be very interesting have kept me captivated. For example, with oil piracy in Nigeria. They talked to the oil companies, who report one side of the story. Then the reporter went out into the jungle and talked to people in the community about why people were stealing oil and what the repercussions are. And with the matchmaking in China the male reporter went out and basically took a "resume" to a matchmaker to see if he would be a hot commodity in the region (which was pretty humorous).

Has anyone else seen this show?
    Punkin likes this.

Re: Vice (HBO)

Thanks, CRTW! This looks like the type of documentaries I like finding at Netflix, and I hadn't been aware of the HBO program. I hope it is OnDemand so I can watch all the shows you've described! Thanks!

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Thanks for bringing this up! Hadn't heard of this show at all... and I watch a lot of HBO... but it sounds right up my alley!

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

I found it on HBO GO, so I would guess it is also available OnDemand. I hope you both enjoy it as much as I am!!
    Punkin likes this.

I found it on Demand last night and watched two episodes... S1ep1 and S2ep1. Enjoyed them both and as expected it's right up my alley! Thanks CRTW!!
    Punkin and ClosetRTWatcher like this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    • Force-feeding of women in Mauritania. Where overweight women are preferred, and obesity is considered a symbol of wealth.
    • The drastic gap between the wealthy and poor residents of Mumbai.
    I watched these two episodes today. I had NO idea about the force-feeding of women in Mauritania! It seems like throughout the world, regardless of culture, the concept of "beauty" tends to be that which is difficult to achieve or the opposite of natural.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.

+ Reply to Thread