I didn't see a thread started yet for this show. Vice is a documentary/news magazine style show on HBO. Some of the people involved with production whose names I recognized are Bill Maher, BJ Levin, and Fareed Zakaria. I just stumbled upon this show last week. It is just starting its second season, so I'm catching up with all the episodes from season one. Episodes are 30 minutes, and generally cover two different topics. They pack an amazing amount of information into a short period of time, without making feel overwhelming.
It covers some issues that I didn't even know existed! Just a sampling of the topics:
- Matchmaking in China, where the one child policy has resulted in 50 million more men than women in the population.
- A rise in cancer and birth defects in Afghanistan, which may be part of the aftermath of US activities during the war.
- Oil piracy in Nigeria.
- The rise in gang violence in Chicago, the reasons why and the implications.
- A school in Albuquerque who is arming some teachers and teaching kids defense skills in case of an active shooter situation.
- Taliban recruitment of children as suicide bombers.
- Force-feeding of women in Mauritania. Where overweight women are preferred, and obesity is considered a symbol of wealth.
- The drastic gap between the wealthy and poor residents of Mumbai.
For me the show isn't just about the topics. They are reported in a manner that completely draws me in. They seem to do a great job trying to get both sides of the story. Even topics that I didn't think would be very interesting have kept me captivated. For example, with oil piracy in Nigeria. They talked to the oil companies, who report one side of the story. Then the reporter went out into the jungle and talked to people in the community about why people were stealing oil and what the repercussions are. And with the matchmaking in China the male reporter went out and basically took a "resume" to a matchmaker to see if he would be a hot commodity in the region (which was pretty humorous).
Has anyone else seen this show?