+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Poker Shows (WPT, WSOP, etc.)

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Poker Shows (WPT, WSOP, etc.)

So who here watches?

I'm watching the first season of WPT, from 2002, on YouTube.

I enjoy it a lot. Every hand shown has a detailed rundown of who does what, and I like the commentators, Mike Sexton and Vince Van Patten, as well.

Mike Sexton also took part in the first National Heads Up Championship in 2005. 64 players, he made the Top 8. Pretty good.

Daniel Negreanu is one of my favorite players to watch. He's likeable and funny enough. I used to not care for Phil Hellmuth but I've grown to appreciate him as well.

Re: World Poker Tour / World Series of Poker

I've watched most seasons and I really like Mike Sexton as a commentator. He is personable, has a great voice, and bring a lot of knowledge with him. I've watched him play on several shows.

I also like Negranu very much. He makes watching poker fun. While I appreciate that Phil Helmuth is very good, I can't stand watching him or Mike Matasow, who admittedly is a little better than he used to be.

Another one I like is Andy Bloch who was part of the team from MIT that beat the house in Vegas by card counting. The movie, 21, with Kevin Spacey as the teacher who ran the group was based on their story.
    JohnnyK likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I watch this every year. The early episodes are fun, when we get to see celebrities go down fast, and then the surprise early eliminations of some veterans. Then my attention may wane a little in the middle, but I pick it up again when it gets down to the final few tables.
    Florimel and JohnnyK like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

No Limit Texas Hold Em is the only kind of poker I play and watch. WSOP has many events, a number of which are different kinds of poker games which I don't even know the rules to.

There have only been, like, three or four people that won the WSOP main event more than once. Funnily, two of them are also called Johnny (Moss and Chan).

One of the feature round 1 matchups in the first Heads Up Championship was Johnny Chan vs James Woods (yes the actor). Johnny won but it was close at some points.

James Woods is up in the brilliant range of intelligence and he adores poker. I've watched him play several times. The games I've played the most are No Limit and Pot Limit Hold-Em, and, of course, 5- and 7- card stud. Everyone starts out learning stud, or they did when I was young.

Believe it or not, I actually learned contract bridge, gin rummy, and pinochle before I learned poker, and later I used cards to teach my kids their numbers and simple addition before they were kindergarten age.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I am not a fan of Mike, Phil H and Daniel.. I like the old schoolers more. I simply adore Doyle, his son.. not so much. I love Laak. Phil Ivy i can go either way on. I am limited on the female players i like however... as we all know I love Anne Duke.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Is there a World Series of Canasta? (The only card game I know.) :>)

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread, JohnnyK.

I don't think so. I stopped playing Canasta decades ago. I'd enjoy seeing a World Series of Mah Jongg.

In addition to Annie, a few of the women I've enjoyed watching over the years are Jennifer Harmon, Mimi Tran, Clonie Gowen, and Vanessa Rousseau. Jennifer Tilly isn't anywhere near their level, but she is fun to watch, espeically when she's playing with Phil Laak.
    Punkin and JohnnyK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    How about the world series of marbles?

I like watching the poker stuff. Phil Ivy is a good one
    Florimel likes this.

Re: Poker Shows (WPT, WSOP, etc.)

Annie Duke also won one of those Heads Up Championships.

Has there ever been a female WPT winner? I don't know. If so, I don't remember.

There's never been a female WSOP world champion though. More women are playing though nowadays. So we'll see what happens this year.

Lately though all the WSOP world champs are a bunch of nobodies who nobody even knew of before their win. I also want someone big to win the championship again. Like Johnny Chan if he's still playing. Make it three.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast