+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Bitten on Syfy

Re: Bitten on Syfy

Episode 7 Stalking - Aired Monday 8:00 PM Feb 114, 2014 on Syfy

I absolutely detest it when show runners decide to change major plot lines. Why? What is the point? I'm OK with the first season being very close to the book then start to diverge but killing
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Antonio
    what purpose does it serve? The already have Logan in a relationship and a potential wolf daddy why do this?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I haven't read the books but I'm liking the show. I think the guy who hired Elena's boyfriend to find out more about the wolf footage has motives other than for advertising.

On a side note, I'm really bummed that Being Human has been canceled. I hope the characters get proper resolution.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    I haven't read the books but I'm liking the show. I think the guy who hired Elena's boyfriend to find out more about the wolf footage has motives other than for advertising.

On a side note, I'm really bummed that Being Human has been canceled. I hope the characters get proper resolution.

I read online that there will be resolution in the Being Human series. So hopefully the series will end well given the short notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Episode 7 Stalking - Aired Monday 8:00 PM Feb 114, 2014 on Syfy

I absolutely detest it when show runners decide to change major plot lines. Why? What is the point? I'm OK with the first season being very close to the book then start to diverge but killing
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Antonio
    what purpose does it serve? The already have Logan in a relationship and a potential wolf daddy why do this?
    I'm reading the books and this is such a major plot change. I'm not liking it either.
    The books give background information about all the major character's. Now that I've learned who they are, I want to watch the series again.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I'm reading the books and this is such a major plot change. I'm not liking it either.
    The books give background information about all the major character's. Now that I've learned who they are, I want to watch the series again.

If folks want to make a TV series out of a book I understand that it can be difficult transforming the written word to a visual medium. I can understand Alan Bell wanting to go off tangent after season 1 of True Blood, while they changed some minor plot lines and characters they remained true to the basic premise, then they went wackadoodle but that is another story. What I don't understand why the producers of Bitten chose to change such a major plot line this early in the series? Where do they hope to go with this? Make Nick want to search revenge? As if he and the rest of the pack don't already have enough motivation for revenge with all these Mutts seeking to destroy the entire Pack as it stands.

I noticed that author Kelley Armstrong is and executive producer of the show and I went to her website and am posting a questions about the show and her responses.

Regarding the tv show "Bitten"

Re: Regarding the tv show "Bitten"
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:02:31 AM »

"I was wondering if Bell Media's SPACE holds the rights to the OtherWorld series in its entirety? The press release states "Based on the best-selling Women of the Otherworld novels by Canadian author Kelley Armstrong..." & the on screen credits also refer to novels, (dropping the Women of). Does that include thru 13, along with the shorts & novellas?"

No, they wanted Bitten, Stolen, Broken, Frostbitten and the Pack prequels only, so that’s all they have. I suspect the only one you’ll see on the screen is Bitten (to some degree) and then it will go off onto its own stories. You can't do Stolen without Paige, Savannah, Xavier, Leah, Adam, Cass etc and they've made it clear they won't be using those characters--only werewolves.

"You are credited as a co-executive producer, is that mostly an honorary title? or does that refer to the initial feedback you gave them? I know you've said you are very much hands off.”

Co-executive producer is 100% honorary

"I saw that imdb had you credited with writing 3 episodes but that in an interview you said that hadn't come to pass, would you post on your site or tumblr if it happens? Here's hoping to future seasons…"

They asked me to write one an episode for season one, and I was very excited by the prospect…then I didn’t hear any more about it. I very much doubt they’d ask me now because, while the first few episodes stuck relatively close to Bitten, I’ve heard that changes significantly mid-season. Writing for season two would be like writing for someone else’s characters and plot. I’ll stick to my own Smiley

Nice behind the scenes look. I always wonder why the heck do TV producers buy the rights to a story and then don't bother to stay true to the plot. What's the point? Why don't they just come up with their own stories?
    Last edited by Bearcata; 03-03-2014 at 10:21 AM.
    Arielflies likes this.

Another interview with author Kelley Armstrong and lead actress Laura Vandervoot.

Q & A with Bitten's Laura Vandervoort and Kelley Armstrong - SciFiAndTvTalk

small quotes:

Kelley, what was your inspiration for the book series?

KA: Bitten actually came out of an X-Files episode. I was in a writing group and as part of the group you were expected to actually write new stuff. I was trying to come up with an idea, sat down and watched The X-Files.It was way back in season one, and its one and only werewolf episode. It was your typical big guy who changes into a beast-like thing and goes around slaughtering people under the full moon. I thought, “That's not how I would do werewolves.”

For a writer, that then sparks, how would I do them? So I wrote a short story with this character named Elena and I loved that world so much that I wrote a book.

One of the best explanations of books vs TV.

Kelley, how much influence did you have on keeping the TV show close to your books, and do you think will fans be happy about any changes that the producers might have had to make for the TV show?

KA: I really didn't have any influence, and that is what I felt was the correct stance to be taken. I mean, a TV show is an adaptation. It is another version for a different medium, and to take a book and translate it directly to screen would make for a very boring show. I will warn you, in Bitten I spent way too much time in Elena's head, and to put that on the screen would have been boring. Somebody else has to take it with fresh eyes and reconstruct it for a different medium.

Of course, I’m so attached to my characters and their world that I would be objecting to things that I shouldn't be objecting to. However, I was so thrilled with the early scripts I read. I was thrilled with the writing and how they got the characters. So yes, there are changes, but there should be, and I was quite happy to leave it in everyone's capable hands and just step back.

A bit of a sidebar in regards to a character Laura Vandervoot played on the TV remake of V.

With V, Lisa just a minor character for the first season and she was actually just intended to be a guest star. So they hadn’t really thought her out very much. When, however, they saw the dynamic and chemistry with me and the other actors and I, they wrote the character in as the queen’s daughter, so it became more interesting.
    That does explain a lot.

Yes it does.

I read the books for background information as to who the characters are and their origins. I really enjoyed them. It was disappointing to realize the show departed from the books. Now, I'm watching the show with a different mindset. I wonder, since the show is such a departure from the book, if they will have Malcom appear at some point.
    On Kelley Armstrong's website, she has a chart of the werewolves family tree's and which books contain pack stories.

I really want to like this show but the level of torture and violence is getting to be too much for me. I'm not totally squeamish and can take stuff like that in small doses but if every episode is going to be like this than sadly this isn't the show for me.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Funny, I read Bitten a very long time ago and while I know Clayton is the Pack Enforcer I really don't remember this level of violence in that particular book. I have also read the entire Otherworld Series. I feel that the series really took off with Armstrong's third novel "Dime Store Magic" with Paige Winterbourne and Lucas Cortez's story. Paige is such a wimp in Stolen (Book 2) and she really grows through out the entire series as does Elena. It's great to see two powerful women, but they are powerful in their own right and that is such a great role model. Even in the TV series Elena is strong yet vulnerable but the best part of her is that she is not your typical stereotype of a strong female warrior type who has to have a bigger gun then the guys. At least the show is not trying to match the gore fest that True Blood became.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast