+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Helix on SyFy

Helix on SyFy

Has anyone watched this new show yet? The first two episodes aired this weekend and repeat all week. I haven't been able to decide if I like it or not and I'm interested in all your reactions. The two part pilot and the not yet aired episode three are also available online and On Demand.

The premise is an unknown virus that breaks out on a remote polar science lab that seems to spread rapidly with horrific results. On the one hand, it may center too much on the horror to appeal to me. On the other hand, it has several interesting characters, all with secrets to unveil over time -- somewhat like Fringe in that respect, from what I've read. They represent the scientists, the CDC, the mililtary, and the government, all with their own agendae.

I'm eager to see how any of you feel about this series.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Re: Helix on SyFy

Watched the pilot which featured episode 1 and 2 and later that night they aired episode 3. It works better when you see all 3 episodes as sometimes it moves rather slowly, and all the secrecy was irritating beyond belief and what happened to Billy Campbell's voice. Still it held my interest because I did see all three episodes. It may not do so if you where only watching one episode at a time. Still it is only 13 episodes long and from the previews it looks as if things will heat up quite a bit plot wise.

Do scientists breed a special kind of hairless monkeys for lab experiments cause those on they show especially the one the doctor was doing the autopsy on looked creepily like little kids when she started cutting them open?

Syfy will air the first five episodes and then marathon them on 2/6/14 (Th.) starting at 6:00 PM and that I think will help viewers if they want to do that and then watch the remaining episodes.

PS: Syfy also showed a trailer of their new summer show Dominion based on the movie Legion but based 25 yrs after the events in the movie.
    Kip likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Thanks for your input, Bearcata. I did watch the first two episodes together, but haven't gotten to number 3 yet. I'll do that sometime this weekend.

I can't recall if I ever saw Legion. Wrath of God movies rarely appeal to me. I'll probably take a look because I try to at least sample all scripted shows although I'm still extremely unhappy at the cancellation of Warehouse 13.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm on the fence about it too, Florimel. I like the cast, but I just can't seem to REALLY get into the show. I'm going to give it another try and see if it gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Do scientists breed a special kind of hairless monkeys for lab experiments cause those on they show especially the one the doctor was doing the autopsy on looked creepily like little kids when she started cutting them open?
    The rat that got infected - and it was in the cages with normal looking rats - looked like that too, so I figured that was a result of the virus.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The characters are the first element that draws me into a series. The two I want to see more of right off the bat are the mysterious Dr. Hiroshi Hatake played by Hiroyuki Sanada and the feisty Dr. Doreen Doyle, played by Catherine Lemieux.

I think he's an outstanding actor and that she will be fun to watch and will add some humor. I've enjoyed Billy Campbell in the past, but I haven't yet got a handle on his character in this show.

Billy Campbell is playing his character as uber-serious; at least in the first episode. I taped the first two off of the marathon they ran all day yesterday, but football got in the way of viewing episode 2 as yet. Episode 3 which is showing as new on Friday is available online and ondemand? This schedule is very confusing. Maybe I should wait for 2/6 when maybe it will make sense.

First of all I don't think it was truly the CDC who was called in for a "virus" I think the mad scientists wanted Billy because his brother survived the protocols for this new hybrid and his genetic makeup may be a key. I wonder if they will ever stop calling it a virus? The military jack of all trades took me by surprise when he went outside to beam up a message to someone and saw the frozen monkeys standing like statues. Did they escape or were they placed there and who is he?

Bizarre and creepy.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Thanks for your input, Bearcata. I did watch the first two episodes together, but haven't gotten to number 3 yet. I'll do that sometime this weekend.

I can't recall if I ever saw Legion. Wrath of God movies rarely appeal to me. I'll probably take a look because I try to at least sample all scripted shows although I'm still extremely unhappy at the cancellation of Warehouse 13.
    Legion was not so much a Wrath of God movie as the angels couldn't see why such superior beings as themselves have to protect such messy and destructive mud monkeys that are human kind so lets destroy them and get on with other things. The movie was pretty bad but the angel's wings were cool.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I went to the movies yesterday (Wolf of Wall Street) and they showed an extended behind-the-scenes look at Helix. I hadn't heard of it before but the "look" was intriguing enough for me to whip out my cell phone and set a DVR timer for it. I don't think I've ever watched anything on SyFy before... was the channel named something else previously? I found ep1 and ep2 on Demand and recorded those - hope I like it

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Yes, the channel was named SciFi. It's programming has gone steadily downhill since NBC bought it and changed to that ridiculous name. They canceled many of their quality science fiction shows of which they had a bunch, and they added reality shows and wrestling.

I still try to watch some of their real science fiction shows, but the number of good ones available grows smaller and smaller. I am trying Helix. Not the best for me so far, but not bad.
    inthegarden likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    I went to the movies yesterday (Wolf of Wall Street) and they showed an extended behind-the-scenes look at Helix. I hadn't heard of it before but the "look" was intriguing enough for me to whip out my cell phone and set a DVR timer for it. I don't think I've ever watched anything on SyFy before... was the channel named something else previously? I found ep1 and ep2 on Demand and recorded those - hope I like it
    Being Human, Haven, Lost Girl and Bitten are all shows on the SyFy (former SciFi) network that are worth looking at.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast