+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Winter/Spring TV Shows 2014

Re: Winter/Spring TV Shows 2014

LOVE Longmire. It seems like ages since that show was on.

I don't watch Under The Dome, but it's filmed in NC, (my state) and it brings in a lot of money for the local residents. They are thrilled with the show. Tourists come from all over just to see where the show is filmed and get souvenirs.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I watched Black Box and really didn't like it. A Bi-Polar neuroscientist runs a research facility with success, but goes off her meds twice in the episode to prove a point. I didn't care much for the other characters either...a boyfriend who discovers he likes the rough stuff she brings, an arrogant surgeon without emotion and a daughter who thinks she is the woman's niece. Oh, and don't forget the long suffering brother and the teenage patient originally diagnosed as Schizophrenic, but in two minutes, Doc figured out he had a brain tumor. That is not to mention the whole episode was wrapped in a cozy blanket by her therapist.

Ouch...it hurt my head and my sensibilities.
    Punkin, inthegarden and AlwaysVeg like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I didn't even bother with that one, Ariel. It looked like a train wreck. I didn't even like the lead actress in the commercials. It had decent ratings, I'm sure because of the lead-in from GA. I'm sure they'll dip considerably, especially once GA finishes its season.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I did watch it and pretty much felt the same way that you did, Ariel. The premise seemed designed more for shock value than for story and character. I kind of expect more from Vanessa Redgrave. I strongly doubt I'll watch another episode.

Sad to say, all I see coming up from them for summer is a couple of new reality shows.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Here is the upcoming Summer Schedule for USA Network Shows

Royal Pains June 10
    Graceland June 11
    Covert Affairs, June 24th

Two new shows called Rush & Satisfaction both on July 17

Thanks razorbacker.
    Some of my favorite shows are summer shows on USA. Rush looks interesting, I'll give that one a try. I'm not sure about Satisfaction, it's not my favorite type of show.. I liked Neil Turman in Glades. I'm sad it ended. His new character seems so different from his laid back style in Glades.

You guys summed up Black Box pretty well. The only other thing I can say is that it did keep me interested. I was so shocked that I didn't know what was going to happen next! If they wanted to shock, I was shocked. That woman was jumping up on the balcony, flying over the skyline, mattress dancing with strangers, fighting with strangers, etc. She was all over the place. I didn't realize that bipolar patients experienced hallucinations like that. Was their portrayal of being bipolar accurate? I'd like to know that.

Considering how out of control she is, she needs to step back and realize that her behavior is not good for her daughter. She said that she chose to go off her meds and that she did it with full intent.

I don't think it's safe for her to be treating patients though. She reminds me a little of Carrie on Homeland.

I think I will watch another episode. It wasn't as bad as some shows, IMO. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    You guys summed up Black Box pretty well. The only other thing I can say is that it did keep me interested. I was so shocked that I didn't know what was going to happen next! If they wanted to shock, I was shocked. That woman was jumping up on the balcony, flying over the skyline, mattress dancing with strangers, fighting with strangers, etc. She was all over the place. I didn't realize that bipolar patients experienced hallucinations like that. Was their portrayal of being bipolar accurate? I'd like to know that.

Considering how out of control she is, she needs to step back and realize that her behavior is not good for her daughter. She said that she chose to go off her meds and that she did it with full intent.

I don't think it's safe for her to be treating patients though. She reminds me a little of Carrie on Homeland.

I think I will watch another episode. It wasn't as bad as some shows, IMO. lol
    If you are bipolar and leave your medication off, anything can happen. The manic highs are apparently worth going off the meds for. Its not easy to explain or to understand.It was too much crammed into one hour, but I will watch it once again and then decide.

I think its her way of understanding *exactly* what her patients go through, something not many doctor would know.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I found her portrayal of a bi-polar manic episode so completely over the top wrong, I can't watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    I found her portrayal of a bi-polar manic episode so completely over the top wrong, I can't watch it again.
    I was reading where she studied this disease before she started playing the role, well, I think one would had to

I played Helen Keller though, I had no idea what it was like to act blind, with no hearing or voice
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread