+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: All Talk Shows

FORT Fogey

All Talk Shows

I started this for a place to compare and talk about all of them. There is little to say in each individual thread, most of the time.

My biggest irritation on all of them is the constant audience clapping. Someone adds wine or hot sauce to a dish and the audience claps and hoots like it is the best thing ever. Clapping for any ingredient is nuts and annoying.

They all have people who signal the audience when to clap and they should be punished or told to cool it. Wendy is on top of this and often tells Suzanne to stop making them clap and asks the audience to only clap if they agree.

Julie Chen is annoying the crap out of me. Miley and her joint on stage is old news and today she said, in her slow and dramatic tone, CBS would not allow them to show the clip but they had a still picture. Oh come on, isn't there something more interesting to talk about other than something that has already been beaten to death? And the clip has been shown on other networks, hardly shocking. Who cares?

Since I let them build up on my DVR and often watch several back to back is probably the reason the clapping drives me as nuts as it does. OH, and clapping for someone's age. ??? How screwy is that?

And hug your guests back stage, don't make us watch them make the rounds and hug 5 hosts! No air kisses, please. Insist on kissing? ..... one cheek only.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 11-12-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Re: All Talk Shows

I don't watch any talk shows. I don't give a crop about celebrities and the older I get the more I notice that I haven't a clue who most of these guests are.

I don't watch them, either, Punkin except when there is a guest on one of them who is promoting a new film, book, or show that I want to know more about. Then, I just fast forward and watch only the one I was interested in.
    Punkin likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Ellen is the best show going, bar none. Her celebrity interviews are good because she witty and draws out the humor in everyone. They talk about their pets, kids and everything but the normal drivel that prevails. She is a master at it. She usually has celebs on that she knows or are relevant in some way and I have heard of all of them. And that is only part of her show. She has very interesting segments for the most part. Love this woman.
    combatcutie and Florimel like this.

I think Ellen is a terrible interviewer. She's all about making a joke or giving her guests some stupid present....or scaring them or putting them in a dunk tank or some other stupid stunt. She doesn't seem all that interested in learning about her guests. Every once in a while I'll watch her if I really like the guest, but 10 minutes is about my limit with her now. She was bad when she started out, but I expected her to improve. Hasn't really happened.

I can't say I watch any of the daytime talk shows now. I liked Jeff Probst and Anderson Cooper (before they changed his time slot), but now I don't find any of them watchable. I was disappointed especially by Jeff Probst's cancellation. I thought he asked good questions and seemed genuinely interested in his guests. Most talk show hosts are incredible sycophants, which I guess is part of the job description, but I find it embarrassing to watch.
    Punkin likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I like Ellen , but her show, no I don't . I also enjoyed Jeff's show, I guess the ratings were not good. Now and then I watch Dr Phil, I did today and it left me shaking my head. I don't like daytime TV, too many talk shows, and even my soap is
    Punkin likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I still have about 4-5 episodes of The Jeff Probst Show on my DVR that I refuse to watch... because I know once I do, it'll be "over". I really loved his show.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

FORT Fogey

I liked Probst at first then I tired of him. He is very different on Survivor. He seemed overly perky on his show. His high energy, sometimes frantic wore thin with me. I prefer his manner on Survivor which seems more natural and relaxed.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

TOTALLY, TOTALLY AGREE, Shoepie about the clapping and noisemaking! It annoys the hell out of me too, and I usually have my hand on the mute button while I watch these shows, especially before and after every commercial break!

I watch a lot of talk shows --- I just like 'conversation' on tv! My all time favorite daytime talk show is Bethenny. Not only because I like her (which I do), but because her show is like a girlfriend's party, not a talk show. Even her interviews are so much fun, I just love it, and it's literally, my tv high point of the day. I also enjoyed Anderson Cooper's talk show very much, and was very disappointed it was cancelled. As for all of the others, I find that I watch them only when they have guests that I'm interested in seeing -- and even then, very often I'll just watch those interviews, but not the whole show. The only show I watch from start to finish, no matter who the guest is, or what the subject is, is Bethenny.
    bee stung lips likes this.

When I have days off or when I'm at client's houses and they have the TV on is the only real time I can catch talk shows really and I try to avoid it if possible. There's just so many of them. I used to work more afternoons or just early mornings and get home in time to watch more of them and even then it got old for me fast. I don't know who these celebrities are anymore. And some of the talk shows like The View with all the talking over each other and inability to actually discuss anything made me want to watch anything else on the face of the earth. Then when they got Jenny on there that was the nail in the coffin for me. I didn't like her years ago when she was on MTV and an obnoxious twit and still don't like her now.

But generally I feel they're all basically the same and these days hosting a talk show is the last dying breath of someone trying to extend their 15 minutes of fame.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast