+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: All Talk Shows

FORT Fogey

Re: All Talk Shows

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I think it's hard to tell how Steve Allen might have fared in today's world, Shoepie.. He was highly intelligent and adaptable. Even as late as the early '80s, his Meeting of the Minds tv show did very well. I loved it; it featured actors appearing as some of history's great thinkers in a talk show environment. His wife, Jayne Meadows, also highly intelligent, was co-host. I also loved him because he was a tireless promoter of free speech.

Another reason for me was that he introduced us to Tom Poston, Don Knotts, Louis Nye, Steve and Eydie, and Pat Harrington, Jr. They were all regulars and mostly unknown when they started with him.
    You are right and I stand corrected. Steve and Jayne were intelligent, interesting people that would fare very well today.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    You are right and I stand corrected. Steve and Jayne were intelligent, interesting people that would fare very well today.
    Thanks so much, Shoepie. It's not easy to remember that far back. I was a still a kid when his late night show was on, but I was always a night owl and stayed up to watch it.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Thanks so much, Shoepie. It's not easy to remember that far back. I was a still a kid when his late night show was on, but I was always a night owl and stayed up to watch it.
    Yes, me too. My parents adored them both.

I luv'ed staying up and watching the Johnny Carson with my mom, mainly because it was us girls bonding. I remember watching Joan Rivers as co host before the one too many facelifts and when Rosanne Barr first came on as a guest comic.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Very touching close of the Tonight Show. As soon as Jay's chin started to quiver, my tears started.

That is how one should leave a TV show, when you are on top and not wait until the audience can no longer stand you. Hear that, Barbara Walters?

It's so sad that I will no longer be watching the Tonight Show after 25+ years. I wish Jay nothing but the best and thanks for the many laughs for the past 22 years.

Good night, dear friend.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

I thought the Leno send off was great. Great lineup too. I'm just not sure why they had to taint it with Kim K.
    JunkieGirl likes this.

FORT Fogey

Leno's send off was very well done. I also liked that he tied in Johnny Carson's sign off, because I think his final show will always go down as one of the very best. I also LOVED the way that Jimmy Fallon handled his final Late Night show. His walk off to the new studio was a perfect mix of recognizing the end of something, but looking forward to what was to come. I'm glad he treated it as an end of Late Night, and not just a continuation from one show to the other.

I read that Bethenny was cancelled today.

FORT Fogey

I saw that too. I'm not a big fan of her show, and will not miss it. HOwever, I have to admit I was very sad to see it had been cancelled, only because Omarosa predicted it wouldn't last past a year, and I SO wanted Omarosa to be proven wrong about ANYTHING!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I read that Bethenny was cancelled today.
    Good. I never could warm up to her.

+ Reply to Thread