+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: All Talk Shows

Re: All Talk Shows

I took some time off from work and have been able to catch day time and late night talk shows. After like a day if even that of watching them I found them all to be pretty generic. I'm not even stumbling on interesting guests and the interviews I do catch kind of leave me wanting a lot more. Like what happened to doing a good interview with these guests? Some of the talk show hosts just can't get over themselves in the interview I found.
    cablejockey likes this.

I feel the same--they are all alike! The same topics go on the opening monologue, the same style stunts and gotcha moments after that and then come the guests only there to plug something. Didnt it seems that some were more edgier than others? More fun and spontaeous?
    causingchaos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I am officially bored with all the talk shows. They all need to change their sets and formats and that includes the late night shows, as well.
    I stopped watching almost all of them quite some time ago. I remember the days of Phil Donahue, Mike Douglas, Johnny Carson, Jack Paar, and even Steve Allen. Their shows were entertaining without people trying to press their belief systems on everyone else, but were just entertaining. Other than the British show I mentioned above, there isn't one of them I like at all anymore. All I do is check out the guests and I'll record and watch someone whose work interests me. It's freed up a lot of my time.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Yes, Flor, but I hated Phil Donahue. He thought he was too great. Just never took a liking to the guy. It is more a sign of the times than who the hosts were. Steve Allen was hilarous but he would not necessarily make it today.

Now everyone has to give opinions on the hot news of the day which is dictated by social media. Every damn show presents the hottest topic as if we have not heard it at least 37 times. Julie Chen is the biggest offender as is The View. Don't announce it, just talk about it; your audience already knows for frick sake. You are not delivering the news/gossip, you are commenting.
    causingchaos likes this.

And what happened to just having a show without having to even so much as mention the hot topic of the moment. I think half of my issue with the generic-ness of the shows is that I don't even know who half the guests are. I don't have cable, I certainly don't have HBO and don't get that into movies. So I don't care about their projects at all. And I noticed thus far in my recent talk show journey that the more accessible guests (pushing books or something like that) it's always a freaking fad diet or something like that. I know people write real books not about diets.

About the only talk show I try to watch with any regularity is the George Stromboulopoulous (I know I spelled it wrong) show on CBC here (I get that channel) because he has these odd ball people on and he really digs into interviews with them. It's not about George. All these other shows it's all about the host I'm finding.

I don't know. I just can't really differentiate most of these shows I'm watching and I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out why they're all on air.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Yes, Flor, but I hated Phil Donahue. He thought he was too great. Just never took a liking to the guy. It is more a sign of the times than who the hosts were. Steve Allen was hilarous but he would not necessarily make it today.

Now everyone has to give opinions on the hot news of the day which is dictated by social media. Every damn show presents the hottest topic as if we have not heard it at least 37 times. Julie Chen is the biggest offender as is The View. Don't announce it, just talk about it; your audience already knows for frick sake. You are not delivering the news/gossip, you are commenting.
    I think it's hard to tell how Steve Allen might have fared in today's world, Shoepie.. He was highly intelligent and adaptable. Even as late as the early '80s, his Meeting of the Minds tv show did very well. I loved it; it featured actors appearing as some of history's great thinkers in a talk show environment. His wife, Jayne Meadows, also highly intelligent, was co-host. I also loved him because he was a tireless promoter of free speech.

Another reason for me was that he introduced us to Tom Poston, Don Knotts, Louis Nye, Steve and Eydie, and Pat Harrington, Jr. They were all regulars and mostly unknown when they started with him.
    Shoepie likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    About the only talk show I try to watch with any regularity is the George Stromboulopoulous (I know I spelled it wrong) show on CBC here (I get that channel) because he has these odd ball people on and he really digs into interviews with them. It's not about George. All these other shows it's all about the host I'm finding.

I don't know. I just can't really differentiate most of these shows I'm watching and I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out why they're all on air.
    Strombo is a very good interviewer. Too bad his CNN show didn't work out, but good for those of us who enjoy watching his CBC show.
    causingchaos likes this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

The Doctors isn't too bad, I like Dr. Oz but it is very repetitive. Lov'ed Dick Cavett, the original Arsenio Hall (much better then the current version), The Graham Norton Show on BBC America is fabulous, and David Frost.
    Florimel likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I wish Doctor Phil would get off the air.
    Florimel likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I can't stand Dr. Oz or the Doctors. But more Dr. Oz. I end up catching that a lot actually because of the time slot it's in here. I didn't mind him as a guest on Oprah once in awhile but once he got his own show I couldn't stand him anymore. The Doctors I tolerate just a hair better but if I catch that show more than once every couple months I start to really hate it too. And I think a lot of my hate comes from having to work all day with sick non-compliant clients with complicated medical issues who watch those two shows day in and day out and say stuff to me like, "But I saw it on TV and Dr. Oz says I should do this." Usually it ends in some pretty serious side effects and other issues.

I totally forgot Strombo was on CNN for a heart beat. I remember being bummed about the possibility of Strombo being shared with more people. I'm happy with him and his red chair on CBC. More of the US people could take a huge lesson from him on how to interview though. It's fascinating. And I've actually bought more books from people he's interviewed more than any other show I watch where books may be pushed just because I actually learn about the book. Most other talk shows the most I learn is that a book was written and the interviewer may or may not have had a life moment that may be relevant to the book.
    cablejockey likes this.

+ Reply to Thread