+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: All Talk Shows

Re: All Talk Shows

I've been watching night time talk shows since I was a kid staying up late to watch Johnny Carson! There was just something forbidden and alluring about watching those late-night shows.
    Nowadays its hard to tell them apart. You have the old guard--Leno/LettermanArsinio and not so young anymore upstarts--Conan/Jimmy Fallon/Jimmy Kimmel and they all comment on the same news items and celeb gossip. Jimmy Kimmel comes up with interesting things every so often and Conan has some crazy funny stuff every now and then--but they usually put me to sleep!
    I liked Leno until that ruckus with Conan and he took his show back from the successor! I had never seen that happen before, didnt think it was possible! It really made Jay look like a small child who grabbed his toy back. And now he is 'leaving' again in Feb. We'll see.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    I've been watching night time talk shows since I was a kid staying up late to watch Johnny Carson! There was just something forbidden and alluring about watching those late-night shows.
    Nowadays its hard to tell them apart. You have the old guard--Leno/LettermanArsinio and not so young anymore upstarts--Conan/Jimmy Fallon/Jimmy Kimmel and they all comment on the same news items and celeb gossip. Jimmy Kimmel comes up with interesting things every so often and Conan has some crazy funny stuff every now and then--but they usually put me to sleep!
    I liked Leno until that ruckus with Conan and he took his show back from the successor! I had never seen that happen before, didnt think it was possible! It really made Jay look like a small child who grabbed his toy back. And now he is 'leaving' again in Feb. We'll see.
    I remember that, too. When I was finally old enough to be allowed to stay up and watch Johnny, it was special.

Jay did not single handedly take his spot back and away from Conan. There are many more people involved and and ultimately a network decision. Ratings drive the winds of change.

Fallon and Kimmel are on top for me.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 11-22-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I like all the late night talk shows and alternate them on my DVR. I tried Conan for the first time and have not warmed to him yet.

I go hot and cold on all daytime talk shows except Ellen. I adore her show though I do FF through some segments that don't interest me. I skip Sophia Grace and Rosie. Cute kids but not that interesting. I love that she delights in scaring people but it is more fun when she hides in their bathroom. It just isn't that successful on the set. They startle, of course, who wouldn't.

Bethenny has moments of brilliance. She is smart and quick. Her show is too frantic though. She talks too fast and has no control over guests who insist on talking over her and audience members often.

Sharon O and Julie Chen are annoying me at the moment so I have not watched the talk in awhile. I like Sara, Cheryl and Aisha though.
    See and that's one of the things I hate the most about Ellen's show. I don't think it's funny at all. I think it's juvenile and a bit mean-spirited. The guest is there answering a question and really, NO ONE is listening to them because some jackass in a costume is sneaking up ready to scare them. I just think it's dumb.

I've tried watching Bethenny's show a few times and can't make it more than one segment. She just annoys the snot out of me. Never have liked her.
    cablejockey likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

The scaring people in the bathroom is even worse than scaring them while sitting being interviewed. I'm easily startled so I hate when people do it on purpose to me. Hate that sh*t!! Overall, Ellen makes me laugh and smile so I give her pass.

Same with Leno. The fiasco with the Tonight Show turned many away and Team Coco was the winner in the battle. But Jay plodded on and his ratings came back. I can give him a pass for that especially when he took a pay cut so that NBC didn't have to do a major lay off of his staff. They still did lay off some, but it wasn't as bad as first predicted. Conan didn't do too badly. He got 33 million, his staff of 200 got 12 million and he still has a talk show.

I was looking thru my tv guide and cannot believe Maury is still on the air. I managed to watch 4 minutes before the screaming became too much. Baby mamas freaking out at multiple baby daddys. Throwing punches, never sitting in their chairs. OMG. Trailer park trash at its finest.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

How could I forget my very favorite talk show? Graham Norton is back with new episodes on BBCA. I LOOOOOVE HIM! His is pretty much the only talk show that has me laughing out loud every time.

My favorite thing about Graham's show is that he has ALL of his guests on the panel at once. The interaction between all of them makes the show for me. Tonight it was Jimmy Carr, Robbie WIlliams and Emma Thompson and then they were joined by Matt Smith and David Tennant for the Doctor Who 50th anniversary.

As far as online talk shows, I LOVE Kevin Pollak's Chat Show on YouTube. Two-ish hours just talking to one person. You get to know the person and they really have a conversation. I never would have imagined I'd spend hours and hours watching it, but I have.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I just stumbled on one that I really am enjoying. It's The Graham Norton Show. It's British and airs on BBC America. He has really good guests; this past show included Emma Thompson, David Tennant, and Matt Smith, among others. These guests really talk to each other and don't necessarily watch what they say. They all seem very real.

Other episodes I've seen have included as guests Robert Di Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Jennifer Saunders. Another one had Robert Di Niro and Judi Dench. Yet another featured Paul McCartney, Natalie Portman, Katy Perry and Chris Hemsworth. The first one I watched had Harrison Ford and Benedict Cumberbatch.

Well worth watching if you have BBC America to my mind.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I just stumbled on one that I really am enjoying. It's The Graham Norton Show. It's British and airs on BBC America. He has really good guests; this past show included Emma Thompson, David Tennant, and Matt Smith, among others. These guests really talk to each other and don't necessarily watch what they say. They all seem very real.

Other episodes I've seen have included as guests Robert Di Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Jennifer Saunders. Another one had Robert Di Niro and Judi Dench. Yet another featured Paul McCartney, Natalie Portman, Katy Perry and Chris Hemsworth. The first one I watched had Harrison Ford and Benedict Cumberbatch.

Well worth watching if you have BBC America to my mind.
    Look at the post right above yours

Ooooh, how did I miss that, Critical?

Well, at least there are two of us recommending it now.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Ooooh, how did I miss that, Critical?

Well, at least there are two of us recommending it now.
    Well one person and one lame brain. Love you Flor.

FORT Fogey

I am officially bored with all the talk shows. They all need to change their sets and formats and that includes the late night shows, as well.

+ Reply to Thread