+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: All Talk Shows

Re: All Talk Shows

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post

I know they are not popular here, but I love Jay Leno and Jimmy Kimmel. Kimmel has really come into his own and some of his skits are the best. I still love his premiere at 11:35 when Matt Damon hi-jacked his show and the Baby Bachelor was awesome. Jay is having his best year and ratings, NBC is so stupid. I won't be watching Fallon, I'll be dedicating myself fulltime to Kimmel.
    I like Jimmy Kimmel just fine. Leno is a dirtbag. Fallon can't take that show over fast enough for me.

Re: Bethenny, I read some comments on another site from audience members at her talk show and, apparently, she speaks to NO ONE unless the cameras are on her. She walks onto set, does the show and then walks off with no acknowledgement of anyone. Totally cold. I'm not Oprah's biggest fan, but I always appreciated the fact that she took the time to speak to people after the show and have a genuine moment with them.

I find Bethenny too screechy anyway, so I've only watched a few segments of her show. I don't think it will last long.
    Punkin likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    I like talk shows and have probably seen at least one episode of every single one that is on TV. I used to love Ellen, but yeah the scaring people schtick is not something I enjoy at all and I cannot stand those little girls Sophia Grace and Rosie. Annoying little kids. So if they are on, and it's often, I turn to Judge Judy. Rarely do I ever watch her whole show now.

Bethenny bothers the snot out of me. I saw her interviewing Courtney Stodden and as much as B tries to not be judgmental the more judgmental she sounds. She could say she loves puppies and kittens and she still would sound bitchy. Definitely not for me.

I know they are not popular here, but I love Jay Leno and Jimmy Kimmel. Kimmel has really come into his own and some of his skits are the best. I still love his premiere at 11:35 when Matt Damon hi-jacked his show and the Baby Bachelor was awesome. Jay is having his best year and ratings, NBC is so stupid. I won't be watching Fallon, I'll be dedicating myself fulltime to Kimmel.
    I like Leno too. Always have.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Miss Scarlet likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    I like Leno too. Always have.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    I like Leno..always have. I love the way he treats his wife
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

I don't dislike Leno, but I can understand why NBC is moving on from him. I didn't REALLY see it until Arsenio returned to late night, and his show was SO similar to what he did the first time around. Jay, Dave, and Arsenio are all stuck in a formula for late night that came from the 80s/90s. None of them really does an effective job of using social media, or other methods to connect with an audience. They still operate in a fashion that is "I stand on this stage, you sit in front or your TV, I talk, you listen". That's a method that certainly worked long before they came along, and it's not broken now. However, when you see the ways that people like Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon take audience interaction to a new level, it's easy to see how things are evolving and changing. I think that NBC knows that if they don't start moving that way now, they will be lost in the dust without time to catch up. If Jimmy Fallon is a success with the Tonight Show, I could see the battle becoming between him and Jimmy Kimmel, pushing Letterman out. If that happens, it would not surprise me if Dave "decides" he's done it long enough and moves out of the spotlight.
    Punkin and Shoepie like this.

I like Arsenio, I tried his show( meh) it's okay
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I like Arsenio, I tried his show( meh) it's okay
    When he first came back on the air, I was shocked by his appearance. I thought he might have had some horrible illness. He looks so thin & gaunt. Maybe that's just what age has done to him. I hadn't seen him in many years.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I don't dislike Leno, but I can understand why NBC is moving on from him. I didn't REALLY see it until Arsenio returned to late night, and his show was SO similar to what he did the first time around. Jay, Dave, and Arsenio are all stuck in a formula for late night that came from the 80s/90s. None of them really does an effective job of using social media, or other methods to connect with an audience. They still operate in a fashion that is "I stand on this stage, you sit in front or your TV, I talk, you listen". That's a method that certainly worked long before they came along, and it's not broken now. However, when you see the ways that people like Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon take audience interaction to a new level, it's easy to see how things are evolving and changing. I think that NBC knows that if they don't start moving that way now, they will be lost in the dust without time to catch up. If Jimmy Fallon is a success with the Tonight Show, I could see the battle becoming between him and Jimmy Kimmel, pushing Letterman out. If that happens, it would not surprise me if Dave "decides" he's done it long enough and moves out of the spotlight.
    That's what I like about them, although I do like Leno more than Letterman or Hall. I cancelled my Facebook and Twitter accounts quite a while ago. I find them to be a complete invasion of privacy for both famous and not famous people. Change is sometimes for the better but definitely not always.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I can see both sides of the coin here, but it doesn't make sense for NBC who has been a fledgling network for sometime now. They don't have many hit shows but Leno was bringing in consistent ratings and has been #1 for a few years. Why would they try to fix something that wasn't broke? I know they didn't want to lose Conan to another network so I guess greed was the biggest issue there. Yes, Leno isn't new or fresh like Conan, Kimmel or Fallon but the ratings were there and the the all important demographic was theirs too. It's like yanking the number one TV show that's been on a few years because there are a bunch of new projects coming down the tube, and hope that the new shows work out. Of course NBC has to be the worst company when it comes to handling their talent, as the Ann Curry fiasco has hit them very hard in their ratings. GMA is now the morning show leader while the Today show had held that title for almost the entire time they have been on the air. Just seems like really bad decision making.

Bethenny just doesn't seem to have any warm fuzzies about her, she is ice-cold. Not necessarily a character flaw but it is a requirement for hosting a talk show. A good talk show host wants their guests to shine, have a good time and genuinely wants to hear what their guest has to say. Bethenny doesn't want to know her guests, she wants a platform to get her own views out there. It was the same with Kris Jenner and I see Bethenny attending to her talk show grave fairly soon.

It made me laugh when she was complaining because she can't get the A List stars on her show. Ummm, lady legitimate actor/actresses don't recognize your particular brand of "talent", they want to be interviewed by their peers. Sorry, a reality TV star is not acknowledged as a celebrity, if that was the case I could have my own talk show too and expect to interview anyone I wanted to as well.
    Florimel likes this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

FORT Fogey

I like all the late night talk shows and alternate them on my DVR. I tried Conan for the first time and have not warmed to him yet.

I go hot and cold on all daytime talk shows except Ellen. I adore her show though I do FF through some segments that don't interest me. I skip Sophia Grace and Rosie. Cute kids but not that interesting. I love that she delights in scaring people but it is more fun when she hides in their bathroom. It just isn't that successful on the set. They startle, of course, who wouldn't.

Bethenny has moments of brilliance. She is smart and quick. Her show is too frantic though. She talks too fast and has no control over guests who insist on talking over her and audience members often.

Sharon O and Julie Chen are annoying me at the moment so I have not watched the talk in awhile. I like Sara, Cheryl and Aisha though.

FORT Fogey

JunkieGirl, I think the using social media thing comes in to play with the business decision to get rid of Leno. NBC makes a lot of money on advertising not just from the TV show, but also from their websites. Jimmy Fallon knows how to create things that will generate internet traffic, which helps NBC make more money. Leno was doing the same stuff over and over - and there was no good way toget people to go to NBC.com to see headlines and Jay Walking.

+ Reply to Thread