+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: All Talk Shows

FORT Fogey

Re: All Talk Shows

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I liked her back in the day, but over the years I think she lost touch with most of her audience. I recall watching an episode where she was raving about some new clothing line and how beautiful and affordable it was. Out of curiosity I looked it up and shirts alone were selling in the $300 range. How on earth could she honestly think that would be "affordable" to her typical viewer!? It's not like the woman grew up wealthy, when did she forget how "real" people live!?
    I like Oprah. There were times she was off the mark. One that comes to mind is telling viewers they had to discover their purpose. Well, that is just silly unless she considers living a happy life and being kind to others a purpose, which it is.

Another was "if I can do it, you can" when talking about working out/running. Well sure we could if we had a staff to take care of all the details in a day to free up the time.

That said, she listened to feedback and reeled that stuff in. She did get it that she could not compare her life to her viewers.

She told Tony Robbins that she lived a fearless life. He said she would be dead if that were true (paraphrasing). Fear is part of the human journey. She took that in and learned. She stood corrected.

Her show was good. I skipped the "inspirational" shows for the most part. She inspired her viewers by who she is, not the content of the shows. She didn't get that. We saw her genuine response to everything from a celebrity interview to decorating make overs. It was who she is, not programing that preaches.

All this said, I miss her shows. They were far superior to what we have now. I don't get OWN. I have the basic package from Directv and they dropped her network so I am not sure what she is doing now. She made a mistake charging more for cable/satellite to have her network in the basic package.

The first time I remember seeing Ellen in anything was in a short-lived sitcom called Open House. It was set in a small real estate office. She had a small supporting role as receptionist, but I couldn't help noticing her right from the start. It was obvious she had talent. Chris Lemmon and Mary Page Keller also starred. Anyone else remember that? I think it was in the late 80's.
    J.D. likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I got tired of Oprah telling me what was important in life. Her preaching about how money isn't the most important thing came off as incredibly condescending and out of touch, considering that she's on the Forbes 500 list. Also, I HATE how she would take a guest's opinion, restate it and make it seem like it was her idea. Really, no one's opinion is more important than Oprah's opinion. Her guests were just there to reinforce her beliefs.

I also got tired of all of screaming in her audience like she was the freaking second coming. I was embarrassed for all of the adults in the audience for acting like that.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I like Oprah. There were times she was off the mark. One that comes to mind is telling viewers they had to discover their purpose. Well, that is just silly unless she considers living a happy life and being kind to others a purpose, which it is.

Another was "if I can do it, you can" when talking about working out/running. Well sure we could if we had a staff to take care of all the details in a day to free up the time.

That said, she listened to feedback and reeled that stuff in. She did get it that she could not compare her life to her viewers.

She told Tony Robbins that she lived a fearless life. He said she would be dead if that were true (paraphrasing). Fear is part of the human journey. She took that in and learned. She stood corrected.

Her show was good. I skipped the "inspirational" shows for the most part. She inspired her viewers by who she is, not the content of the shows. She didn't get that. We saw her genuine response to everything from a celebrity interview to decorating make overs. It was who she is, not programing that preaches.

All this said, I miss her shows. They were far superior to what we have now. I don't get OWN. I have the basic package from Directv and they dropped her network so I am not sure what she is doing now. She made a mistake charging more for cable/satellite to have her network in the basic package.
    I skipped certain shows and I didn't love everything Oprah.. I did love the way she would be filmed without makeup, and I often found myself LOL with her. There isn't a daytime ( or a nightime) show that will ever compare for me. Such dribble they have on now. UGH! I have OWN in my package, it doesn't seem to cost much more either way for us
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Ellen is the only talk show that I watch (and even that is hardly ever lol). Jimmy Kimmel is hysterical but I am hardly ever up late enough to watch him. Hee Hee
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Jimmy Fallon, Conan O'Brien and The Daily Show for me.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Jimmy Fallon, Conan O'Brien and The Daily Show for me.
    I record them, then end up not bothering to watch. I don't mind JK.( in small doses)
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I record them, then end up not bothering to watch. I don't mind JK.( in small doses)
    I do the exact same thing. I like JK but not his routines with Guillermo. Fallon is my favorite but I never watch! I have never watched Conan. I am going to put him on my DVR. Daily show is one I do watch.
    Punkin likes this.

FORT Fogey

One of the producers on Bethenny looks so familiar but I cannot figure out from where. He is the gay man with short gray hair. Anyone else notice this?

ETA- He was the producer on Anderson Cooper!

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

I like talk shows and have probably seen at least one episode of every single one that is on TV. I used to love Ellen, but yeah the scaring people schtick is not something I enjoy at all and I cannot stand those little girls Sophia Grace and Rosie. Annoying little kids. So if they are on, and it's often, I turn to Judge Judy. Rarely do I ever watch her whole show now.

Bethenny bothers the snot out of me. I saw her interviewing Courtney Stodden and as much as B tries to not be judgmental the more judgmental she sounds. She could say she loves puppies and kittens and she still would sound bitchy. Definitely not for me.

I know they are not popular here, but I love Jay Leno and Jimmy Kimmel. Kimmel has really come into his own and some of his skits are the best. I still love his premiere at 11:35 when Matt Damon hi-jacked his show and the Baby Bachelor was awesome. Jay is having his best year and ratings, NBC is so stupid. I won't be watching Fallon, I'll be dedicating myself fulltime to Kimmel.
    sunshine3331 likes this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

+ Reply to Thread