+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: All Talk Shows

FORT Fogey

Re: All Talk Shows

Imperfect, I FF a lot too. I record them and watch later. I am able to cut through the applause to some extent and I skip guests I don't know or want to see. With Wendy, I watch the hot topics part and that is it. I go hot and cold on Bethenny. I want to tell her to slow down, she can be so frantic.

I pick and choose and often don't watch entire shows. They all annoy me at some point and I change which one is my current favorite often.

Ellen remains at the top of my list, always, though I do FF through some segments.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    I still have about 4-5 episodes of The Jeff Probst Show on my DVR that I refuse to watch... because I know once I do, it'll be "over". I really loved his show.
    I loved his real interest he had in each and every guest. I laughed when he said he wanted hair like Hugh Jackman .I thought his show was terrific. I never used the FF when Jeff's show was on. I should have kept a few - like you
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I miss the days of Mike Douglas and Phil Donahue. Those were good talk shows with personable and knowledgeable hosts.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

I'm another one who totally agrees with the clapping thing. I think that clapping is somewhat like participation trophies in that it's given out so often that it doesn't mean much anymore. Even places like church I've noticed people feeling compelled to clap for EVERYTHING. A friend of mine who is a local singer said she used to be moved by getting applause. Now, people do it so automatically whenever there is silence that she no longer takes pride in it. As far as interviewers go, I enjoy interviews the most when the host manages to get guests out of their comfort zone, and share their personality instead of just the talking points a publicist has insisted they talk about. When it was on, I thought Politically Incorrect was fantastic for that, because it got guests talking about current issues instead of upcoming projects and you got to see who people were. The tricks that Ellen does can often times pull out that personality in people, and generally I think she's comfortable with allowing the guest to own the spotlight rather than having to maintain the attention on herself. When Katie Couric's show started, I really expected her to take that approach too. But I've been dissapointed with her show the few times I've watched it. She promotes herself too much, and I don't like that she tries to fit so many topics into one show.
    Shoepie likes this.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Score another one for someone irritated as all get out over the incessant, mindless clapping and cheering on these stupid talk shows. And perhaps the worse thing about it is, most times all the clapping and cheering eats into the already minimal time a guest has to do his/her segment. Nothing annoys me more than when a guest is talking and says something and the audience wildly cheers for what seems like an eternity, preventing the guest from finishing his her sentence. And then before you know it, the segment is over and we didn't get to hear the rest of the story / comment etc.

People are such sheep.

UGH!!!
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

The sheep applause for darned near anything is irritating, but it's been going on for so many years that I'm used to it.
    What bothers me is the guests. Most of them I don't care about at all, nor care to see. Some of them I find downright repulsive.
    Mostly I just watch the late night ones, which for some reason are far worse. I'm at work during the daytime ones. Every so often there is someone, or a band, that I really want to see, but it never fails: They're always one of the last guests on the show & I have to sit through irritating & sometimes offensive people to get to the one I want. I often mute the sound, but end up falling asleep. I just don't like the no filter attitude of so many of them, and that's saying it nicely.

The only late night show & host I still really like is Craig Ferguson. I love his odd/silly/fun sense of humor. The problem is that he's just on too late for me. I seldom make it that far, & if I do I shouldn't because of getting up for work the following morning.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

FORT Fogey

A DVR is crucial to watch any TV! I love my FF button.
    Punkin and Imperfect1 like this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    A DVR is crucial to watch any TV! I love my FF button.
    TOTALLY AGREE Shoepie. I DVR/TIVO EVERYTHING I watch, and it has totally changed the way I watch tv! Love the way you can FF through all the commercials, clapping, and all the other annoying, boring, or uninteresting, stuff, etc. Not to mention the mute button. And the slow motion and/or replay button for all the FABULOUS stuff you just HAVE to see AGAIN. Not to mention being able to watch what you want, whenever you want --- Love it.

And speaking of night time talk shows, has anyone else discovered Alex Baldwin's new Friday night on CNN talk show. I was very pleasantly surprised that it's really quite good. No fanfare. Just Alex Baldwin sitting in a cafe booth having an intelligent, interesting conversation with his guest. Very similar, in a way, to Charlie Rose and Tavis Smiley's talk shows. Just conversation about relevant and interesting topics. And of course, for fun, silly, over-the-top fun, I do love Andy Cohen's Watch What Happen Live -- but only when he's got guests on who I am interested in watching.
    Shoepie likes this.

FORT Fogey

Alec's show is on MSNBC, isn't it? I haven't watched it yet, because I'm not yet in the habit of flipping over to watch it, but i plan on it. I LOVE Alec Baldwin as an interviewer. The podcast he was doing is one of my absolute favorites, because he is such a great interviewer. He has a great conversational style that really does encourage guests to relax and reveal a lot about themselves. And after years of having to be the subject of horrible interviews, Alec does a nice job of asking personal questions, but not stepping over the line. One thing that really surprised me, and I credit Alec for, is how fair and evenhanded he is with people who he disagrees with. I hope he has some of them on the MSNBC show. On his podcast, one of my favorite episodes was an interview he did with George Will. I don't think there is anything politically those two men agree on, but they were able to have a very intelligent exchange of ideas with George Will being given time to explain where he was coming from. When NBC was shuffling around their late night hosts, there was a rumor floated that Alec may take over the "Later" time slot from Carson Daly. I wish they had done that. I think Alec could have done what he's doing on MSNBC, which is similar to how Later was when Bob Costas first did it. I'd like to get to see him talking to someone four nights a week instead of one.
    Punkin and Imperfect1 like this.

FORT Fogey

Thanks for the heads up. I just put Alec on my DVR. I love to find new shows. I get tired of the ones I continually watch, sometimes.

+ Reply to Thread