+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: All Talk Shows

Re: All Talk Shows

Not surprising that Michael Strahan scores high, he was obviously the best choice. Am a little surprised that the likeability gap between Strahan and Kelly is so large!
    I'm not! Kelly's biggest flaw is that she makes sure everything includes her....no matter if it's during the opening monologue or while interviewing guests...she's compelled to insert something about her own life in to the conversation. It's mind blowing.

FORT Fogey

I don't have a problem at all with Kelli inserting her life into discussions during the host chat segment. To me, that's the point of the segment. People tune in to hear Michael and Kelli talk about what is going on, so they have to talk about themselves, or their opinions on given topics. When she does it during interviews, that's when it really annoys me. But it seems like more and more talk show hosts are doing exactly that now. Heck, even Oprah who is the master of the daytime talk show can be terrible about taking what a guest says and turning it into a me, me, me moment. The talk show hosts who are comfortable enough to know that if a guest his shining he/she is shining by association are few and far between.

I didn't make myself clear enough. I realize Michael and Kelly need to talk about themselves, among other things, during the opening monologue. That goes without saying. However, it bothers me when she inserts herself and interrupts Michael ABOUT HERSELF while he opens up with things that happened to him, about him, among his relatives or friends, how he feels etc.

A good example is when Michael was telling us all about the weekend/day leading up to his being chosen for the Football Hall of Fame. He was trying to tell/show us with filmed segments how he felt, what he was expecting, how his family and friends were a part of that weekend, and how emotional it all was. Kelly couldn't give him his time in the sun. Nooooo.... She.just.had.to interrupt his tale, more than once, by telling us how she felt and what she and Mark were doing every minute of that time. It made me sick.

I totally understand how conversations work. There's back and forth. Give and take. Questions and answers. BUT, there are times to let the person spill and be a good listener. She's not a good listener because she's always thinking about what she's going to say next and usually what she says next...is all about her.

The talk show hosts who are comfortable enough to know that if a guest his shining he/she is shining by association are few and far between.
    Absolutely! Johnny Carson was the best at this.

Too many talk show hosts rely on pre interviews and looking down at note cards. I think it's disrespectful to their guests.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    I didn't make myself clear enough. I realize Michael and Kelly need to talk about themselves, among other things, during the opening monologue. That goes without saying. However, it bothers me when she inserts herself and interrupts Michael ABOUT HERSELF while he opens up with things that happened to him, about him, among his relatives or friends, how he feels etc.

A good example is when Michael was telling us all about the weekend/day leading up to his being chosen for the Football Hall of Fame. He was trying to tell/show us with filmed segments how he felt, what he was expecting, how his family and friends were a part of that weekend, and how emotional it all was. Kelly couldn't give him his time in the sun. Nooooo.... She.just.had.to interrupt his tale, more than once, by telling us how she felt and what she and Mark were doing every minute of that time. It made me sick.

I totally understand how conversations work. There's back and forth. Give and take. Questions and answers. BUT, there are times to let the person spill and be a good listener. She's not a good listener because she's always thinking about what she's going to say next and usually what she says next...is all about her.

Too many talk show hosts rely on pre interviews and looking down at note cards. I think it's disrespectful to their guests.
    I LIKE the give and take of "conversation" (as opposed to straight "interviews") on these shows, but I do agree that there are certain times when it's not appropriate to just interrupt someone. But my true pet peeve is the overuse of those stupid NOTE CARDS!!! I don't mind that the hosts have them, it's just that they usually use them so badly! Especially on The View! Arrrrggghhhh!!! Gotta LOVE Craig Ferguson who makes it a point to tear up (and throw away) his interview cards before every celebrity interview!!!
    Florimel likes this.

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I couldn't find any other thread for this, but wanted to share in case someone wants to watch, but Dr. Jane Goodall is on The Katie Couric show today!!!!!!! I really respect and admire her. What a treat! It's in honor of Earth Day.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I am not a fan of late night talk shows - mostly because they all interfere with my bedtime. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be (or would have been) Craig Ferguson's version if for nothing more than hearing the Scottish brogue.

Craig Fergsuon Leaving ‘The Late Late Show’ on CBS - TVLine
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I couldn't find any other thread for this, but wanted to share in case someone wants to watch, but Dr. Jane Goodall is on The Katie Couric show today!!!!!!! I really respect and admire her. What a treat! It's in honor of Earth Day.
    Aw, I missed that. I met her a few years ago when she came to do a live chat for a website I worked for. She was with two other people but my dog, a spaz Jack Russell, ran past them and straight to her and started licking her face. I think animals just know.
    inthegarden and Debb70 like this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

Craig Ferguson is leaving his late night show in December. He announced it during the taping of his Monday night show.

Craig Fergsuon Leaving ‘The Late Late Show’ on CBS - TVLine
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Hilarious that for all the stink made about Jay Leno a couple of years ago, the moment he steps down from late night, everyone else follows suit.
    Florimel likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread