+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Masters of Sex on Showtime

Masters of Sex on Showtime

Anybody watching this show. Based on real people. It's a bit racy, lot's of nudity and sexual acts, but it's really interesting.

Re: Masters of Sex on Showtime

Yes, I've been watching. I think it's pretty good. The only issue I have is with Dr. Masters. OMG, I don't like that guy. He is the biggest jerk to his wife, mean to others , and has no problem making Ms. Johnson's life miserable. I wonder if he was really so annoying in real life.

I think the show has real potential, though I think a drawback is how negative the lead character, Dr. Masters is. I realize he may have been abused as a child, but that's no escuse for how he treats other, IMO.

Have you read the real life facts about Masters and Johnson? I did. I was rather surprised. I won't comment here without spoiler tags, since those things have not happened on the show yet.

Always good when you start a show thread to give some info about the show :
    ABOUT THE SERIES MASTERS OF SEX stars Michael Sheen and Lizzy Caplan as real-life pioneers of the science of human sexuality, William Masters and Virginia Johnson. Their research touched off the sexual revolution and took them from a midwestern teaching hospital to the cover of Time magazine and multiple appearances on Johnny Carson's couch. He is a brilliant scientist out of touch with his own feelings, and she is a single working mother ahead of her time. The series chronicles their unusual lives, romance, and unlikely pop culture trajectory.
    http://www.sho.com/sho/masters-of-sex/about

This is my favorite new show of the season. Complex, well-written, daring, great acting. I love it. My parents were young adults during this era in St. Louis, so my mom remembered this quite well. BIG deal when Masters & Johnson went public with their research.

There's pretty much nothing I don't like about this show.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Yes, I've been watching. I think it's pretty good. The only issue I have is with Dr. Masters. OMG, I don't like that guy. He is the biggest jerk to his wife, mean to others , and has no problem making Ms. Johnson's life miserable. I wonder if he was really so annoying in real life.

I think the show has real potential, though I think a drawback is how negative the lead character, Dr. Masters is. I realize he may have been abused as a child, but that's no escuse for how he treats other, IMO.

Have you read the real life facts about Masters and Johnson? I did. I was rather surprised. I won't comment here without spoiler tags, since those things have not happened on the show yet.
    So, shows can only be interesting if the leads are nice and sympathetic? I think shows are MUCH better if the characters are HUMAN, which is what William Masters was. I'd rather watch a complex person on the screen than a one-dimensional caricature of a person. No, maybe Masters wasn't the best person on the planet, but he was a brilliant, pioneering doctor whose findings are still taught today. I don't think he was a bad person. I think he was a PERSON. People are flawed and sometimes they aren't so nice. Ginny isn't perfect either. That's why I love the show.

I'd much rather watch Walter White or Don Draper or William Masters on my TV. They're complex and interesting and fully-drawn characters....who also happen to be portrayed by very good actors.

Can we talk about how freaking great Allison Janney is? OMG. I'm a fan, but she's blown me away the last few weeks.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The only part of the show I don't like is how easy it is for everyone to cheat on their husbands and wives. They act as if it's OK as long as it's in the name of science.

This is one of the best shows I've seen in quite some time. Nuanced performances, well-written scripts, and gorgeous period detail. It really is a window into a pioneering time.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

I just read that it's renewed for a second season.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

OMG! I recently discovered this show and just binge-watched the first 6 episodes. LOVING it!!! So well written, so interesting, and so provocative, in all kinds of ways. I was a child during those years, and I never realized how stilted and closed minded and uninformed we were, even then.

I am so happy to hear that it's been renewed for a second season. That's GREAT news!

I get your point, but I'm amazed that there were any people who would have signed up for those kind of studies at that time. Even in 2013, I think such a project would be very controversial.

I'm so glad that Ginny put Dr. Masters in his place. He's such a jerk. I hope she can help that dying doctor for as long as she survives.

Was the money to help that young woman raise the child or for her to obtain an abortion?

I'm so happy that the Provost's wife FINALLY found out the truth. How painful. I know he had his reasons, but that guy was super selfish. Making your wife live a life of a farce marriage with no sex because you're too scared to admit you're gay. Poor woman. I hope she can finally find some happiness.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Yay! It looks like Masters of Sex will be back for a season 2 this summer! This was reported last week by one of the show's stars, Allison Janey, on The Ellen Show!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast