+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Amazon Streaming TV

Amazon Streaming TV

Amazon is joining Netflix in the original series for streaming now. It first show is called Alpha House and stars John Goodman, Clark Johnson, Cynthia Nixon, and Mark Consuelos, among others. I think it's a political comedy and I'll be trying it out since I already subscribe to Amazon Prime.

Here's a link for anyone who's interested.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/10/arts/television/alpha-house-amazons-original-series-years-in-the-making.html?_r=0
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Re: Amazon Streaming TV

They are also searching for other products. I joined a first reviewer type polling group they started with Prime. They give you a premise for a movie or a TV show and then you answer poll questions about your reactions to the pitch. This seems like an interesting project. I signed up and already gave my opinion on the first entry.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Since it's only going to be available to Amazon Prime customers (after the first three episodes), I'm not interested. I'm not paying $80/year to watch it. I already pay for cable and Netflix. That's enough.
    Punkin likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I joined Amazon Prime originally for the free 2-day shipping on everything I order. The streaming is just an added plus to me, and the $80 is actually a little less than Netflix.

I never saw that polling group, Arielflies. Do you know if it's still open? If so, I'd be interested in joining.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Thanks for reminding me to cancel my trial subscription before my month is up. The one movie I rented kept freezing up on me. And I had to pay $1.99 for it! It wasn't the fault of my TV, because I have a Smart TV that is much smarter than me and plays my Netflix streaming flawlessly and without any charges outside of my monthly $8.00 fee. The only thing I buy through Amazon is e-Books, so free postage isn't an issue for me.

At least we are getting more options from which to choose. I'm thinking about switching my Netflix to Redbox streaming. Redbox does give you four kiosk rentals per month along with its streaming options. That could be any combination such as 1 four-day rental or 4 one-day rental or 2 2-day rentals, etc.

I don't think they have as big a selection as Netflix, but they have a one-month free trial for me to sample.

We've considered a free trial of Redbox streaming, but I'd have to see their film library. We check online every Tuesday to see what's out at the kiosks, but usually find a lot of horror and other stuff we wouldn't be interested in. (Though this week we rented Parkland from them and it was really good.) Their kiosks are everywhere around us and we find it easy to pick up a disk for $1 at the same time that Comcast OnDemand would charge us $5.99 to rent.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I joined Amazon Prime originally for the free 2-day shipping on everything I order. The streaming is just an added plus to me, and the $80 is actually a little less than Netflix.

I never saw that polling group, Arielflies. Do you know if it's still open? If so, I'd be interested in joining.
    It was a solicitation by email. I would think they would send it out to all Prime members.

I started up Prime again because I am going to be buying more DVDs and shipping, etc...but, they do offer FREE streaming movies and TV shows which is where I picked up the second season of Grimm. Netflix doesn't offer Grimm in stream format and the second season isn't even on their radar yet. I also noticed that Netflix is a month behind offering newly released DVDs. For instance, Superman (the newest one) is on my save list for release in December, but the ads for the DVD started running yesterday on TV.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post

I really try not to buy from Amazon more than a few times a year. Sometimes they're a necessary evil, but I prefer buying elsewhere. The cheaper shipping isn't a draw for me, plus, I prefer the offerings on Netflix. The few Amazon-exclusive shows aren't enough to make me want to pay that much money. I still pay for DVD service from Netflix as well, so it's not just streaming that I care about.
    Punkin likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yes, I think I'll go back to the full Netflix service with disks as well as streaming because too often I'll look for a movie I want to watch and it's not available on streaming only. Recently I wanted to rewatch Matt Damon's The Informant and it's not available on Netflix's streaming. That is when I tried the Amazon free trial. The movie froze three times on me! What works best for us is Netflix for documentaries and their vast movie library, and Redbox for new releases. I didn't like to have to pay $1.99 extra at Amazon for the movie.

Also, Netflix has had some really good original programming like Boss, House of Cards and Orange is the New Black.
    Last edited by Punkin; 11-12-2013 at 10:10 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast