+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Amazon Streaming TV

Re: Amazon Streaming TV

there's like an auto renew where they automatically bill your credit card

i just let it cancel

some past years i actually got an email that says rejoin for half price

this time once it expires it will have the button to sign up, the 2nd page after you click the signup link right before it charges anything it shows the "sign up for $49" thing then you have to click a button to charge your card or cancel out of it

click the sign up button as if you are a new customer and see if you get the same discount interstitial screen...you can cancel out before you are actually charged anything if it doesnt show a discount

i took a screenshot

after the "get started" button you should see this: (unless this is not an everyone deal)

Last edited by Dogg; 03-23-2014 at 06:40 PM.

I've had Prime for years. even before they started offering streaming TV with it. I order from Amazon constantly, so even the new price of $99 is a bargain for what I save in shipping. I've never really had any bandwidth problems watching any content. I mostly watch stuff on my TV via the app on my Nintendo Wii (that's how I watch Netflix too).

I haven't tried their original shows yet, I mostly just watch movies I haven't caught yet. I'll have to give them a try.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I'll see how I used it this past year once my subscription comes due in September. I rarely order items and I'm watching Netflix much more than Amazon. In fact, I forget Amazon streams.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
    ^ yeah

people gotta remember though amazon prime was designed for frequent shoppers who wanted free 2-day shipping and discounted 1-day

the streaming service was a BONUS they added

so if you dont drop lots of money there then stick with netflix or other options

i've had prime for a few years, we'd cancel at renewal time and they would let us renew for like $39

this time we really meant to cancel because amazon started charging tax here and that would kill the deal on large purchases...so there werent alot of purchases to warrant the $80

well they did it again and if you cancel they give you a half price option to renew (half of $99 though, not $79)

is $49 worth it for the shipping and streaming for a year? divided by 12 = $4.08/mo

on prime you dont have to worry about a minimum $35 order, if i want to buy a $5 phone accessory i can order it and get free 2 day shipping

so ordering even one item a month covers the $4.08 plus you get streaming

still not worth it?
    Nope, not really. I've never gotten that 50% off offer, possibly because I've only ever done free trials, but I really don't order much from Amazon. When I do, I combine items so that I always get free shipping anyway (free 2-day is nice, but I'm never in that much of a hurry). Even if I only paid $49, it would probably only cover the cost of 2-day shipping if I opted for that instead. It was the added extras that made me want to check out Prime - the lending e-library and the streaming video - and neither had very appealing selections.

If I were to pay for another service that did streaming video, I'd go for Hulu Plus, which has more offerings and fewer glitches.

I finished watching Betas via Prime last night and while I enjoyed it, it did feel like an "online only" show....unlike House of Cards or even Alpha House, which really does have the feel of an HBO comedy.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Both House of Cards and Alpha House were shows I really enjoyed. I could not get past two episodes of Betas which I found formulaic and not funny.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I have prime but have not used the streaming service yet. I just don't have the time while the network shows I watch are in season. I'll give it more of a look-see after the May finales. I signed up right before Christmas so I could take advantage of the free shipping during the holidays. I've used it several more times since then. While I don't like the price hike, I will probably keep it. But I may try Dogg's tactic and see if I can get it reduced.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123