+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Amazon Streaming TV

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Re: Amazon Streaming TV

I'm glad to see these types of online TV show viewing options cropping up. Takes away from the leverage of network television and as time goes on I think we'll be seeing more and more "online-only" viewing options.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I've watched the first four episodes of Alpha House and I am enjoying it. It's not House of Cards, but what is? I plan to keep watching.

The reason I'm really post this, however, is that Haley Joel Osment from The Sixth Sense is playing a recurring character. Let's just say he has not aged well. I would not have recognized him without the credits though once you know who it is, you can see it. This link actually shows him looking a little better than he does in the show.

'Alpha House' Brings Haley Joel Osment Back to Prominence After 12 Years | Yahoo TV - Yahoo TV
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I got an offer for a free trial of Amazon Prime, so I used it to get free shipping on some items I was going to order anyway. I've got a notification on my phone to cancel before I get charged. I thought I should try the streaming service to see how it differs from Netflix. I have to say, I expected more. A lot fewer offerings than Netflix. I did take the opportunity to watch Alpha House and am making my way through Betas now.

I thought Alpha House was hilarious. I found myself laughing out loud in multiple places, which doesn't normally happen. The whole prayer meeting episode had me in stitches, as did the funeral in the season finale. Cynthia Nixon was pretty darned great as the unhinged, incredulous Dem surrounded by these GOP dolts.

I'm enjoying Betas, although it's not in the level of Alpha House, which I could see being produced by HBO.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Did I hear that Amazon Prime is going up to $99?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Yes, it is going up to $99. I tried the free trial offer of Amazon Prime and tried streaming The Informant (great flick!) which was not available to stream on Netflix. 4 to 5 times during the film I was watching it kept stopping to buffer. So I quit the free trial and went back to streaming and disks in the mail from Netflix. I really like documentaries and Netflix has endless numbers of them on the streaming side, but no one has more films if you're willing to pay extra for the disks in the mail. They must have a distribution center nearby because I will get disks next day when I order one. (But they don't carry Alpha House.)

I don't order enough from Amazon to make free shipping a good deal at $99 a year. Recently Amazon has been accused of telling their associate sellers to up the base price for their merchandise to cover the shipping fees, thus hiding the fact that you are still paying for shipping. I find eBay has many of the same items for sale with free shipping. I use Amazon mainly for streaming books to my iPad mini.

^ yeah

people gotta remember though amazon prime was designed for frequent shoppers who wanted free 2-day shipping and discounted 1-day

the streaming service was a BONUS they added

so if you dont drop lots of money there then stick with netflix or other options

i've had prime for a few years, we'd cancel at renewal time and they would let us renew for like $39

this time we really meant to cancel because amazon started charging tax here and that would kill the deal on large purchases...so there werent alot of purchases to warrant the $80

well they did it again and if you cancel they give you a half price option to renew (half of $99 though, not $79)

is $49 worth it for the shipping and streaming for a year? divided by 12 = $4.08/mo

on prime you dont have to worry about a minimum $35 order, if i want to buy a $5 phone accessory i can order it and get free 2 day shipping

so ordering even one item a month covers the $4.08 plus you get streaming

still not worth it?
    Punkin likes this.

I'm not very happy that Amazon Prime is raising its prices, but I'll probably stick with it. In addition to the streaming, there are also free books available for the Kindle.

Netflix does have a lot more streaming content, but their price of 7.99 per month plus tax comes to a little bit more than Amazon's $99. Amazon needs to add more free content to their streaming video. Just not sure what I'm going to do.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I'm not very happy that Amazon Prime is raising its prices, but I'll probably stick with it. In addition to the streaming, there are also free books available for the Kindle.

Netflix does have a lot more streaming content, but their price of 7.99 per month plus tax comes to a little bit more than Amazon's $99. Amazon needs to add more free content to their streaming video. Just not sure what I'm going to do.
    If you're already a member, I'd follow Dogg's lead! Negotiate renewal.

I will stick with Amazon Prime..I order a lot from Amazon, and sometimes it's here in a day. Of course being in the Seattle area, I'm close to a distribution center.

Having a granddaughter in San Diego, also makes it easy to do 2 day shipping directly to my daughter's place there.

I find I use the streaming more when regular TV shows are doing reruns.

Dogg, I have a few months before I'm due to renew. Did you just click End Membership or did you have to email Amazon to get the half-price offer? I just clicked the End Membership option and all I got was their "Are you sure" message. I want to make sure I'm doing it right when I have to do it for real.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast