+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Dracula - NBC

Re: Dracula - NBC

Just watched the 2nd episode this morning since I was gone last night. I liked the second one a lot better than the first one. I feel it was much closer to how they were advertising the show. The faux american accent is still distracting and some of the music they use in the show makes me kind of go... ok is this some bad movie from the 80's but generally if I had seen this episode first I think I wouldn't have been as apathetic about it.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

I like last night's episode too. I see a decent plot building. I don't mind the American accent at all, really. Although Jonathan Rhys Meyers sounds hella sexy with his own accent.

I'm glad this show so far isn't turning out to be just a neck-biting fest and that they're weaving more of a storyline into it. Although I hear that particular factor is one of the reasons some people aren't like the show so far. Apparently there's not enough blood and gore for some. Go figure.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I didn't think it was going to be a gore fest based on the preview. Some violence yeah. But it appeared to be much more (based on the previews of the show alone) to be show filled with ample smut to me. Though I will say I was disappointed in the lack of anything in the first episode. They tried to shove way too much into that first episode and made it boring.

If it had been more linear with here some back story and here's where we are now. I honestly didn't feel like I learned who any of these people were until this episode and I'm still kind of fuzzy about a bunch of them. And I totally didn't catch any story line until this episode either. But that's kind of status quo for new shows I find. The first episode is always some convoluted kind of boring lets introduce you to the entire cast of the show whether or not they are major or minor characters.

And I think if the show stays that there will be more gore but this vampire hunter thing feels like some random "oh we better throw something in here" kind of story line to me thus far.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Watched it twice. It's pretty good for network tv. It was pretty bloody this episode....nothing that I really crave. I'm more about the storyline. If it were not for the many commercials, I'd swear I was watching PBS. I think it's fairly well done.

I still find facial-hair-kissing-facial hair on the lips shudder-inducing.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 11-03-2013 at 08:22 AM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I think that for someone who spend a decade building an empire/powerbase to position themselves to destroy the Order of Dragos, Dracula is acting like a silly &^%$, being overbearing, and arrogant and revealing way too much about his powers to his enemies. It is just so stupid.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    I like last night's episode too. I see a decent plot building. I don't mind the American accent at all, really. Although Jonathan Rhys Meyers sounds hella sexy with his own accent.
    I watched for the first time this last episode. Not bad, but I'm not sure about it either. I don't know what Johathan Rhys Meyers' natural voice sounds like, but the American accent did stand out as rather odd. It seemed forced or something. Not a big drawback, but I did notice.
    He is a darned good looking fella. I can overlook a strained accent for that.

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    I'm glad this show so far isn't turning out to be just a neck-biting fest and that they're weaving more of a storyline into it. Although I hear that particular factor is one of the reasons some people aren't like the show so far. Apparently there's not enough blood and gore for some. Go figure.
    I also like the storyline, but I can't imagine someone wanting more blood & gore. There was too much for me as is, although seeing that the show is Dracula, I was expecting it.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Kiz

I sort of like the awkward sounding American accent. It lends credibility (to the viewers) that it's a fake, since we all know Dracula's hometown isn't in Texas. Overall, I like the show, but I'm not loving it yet.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz View Post
    I sort of like the awkward sounding American accent. It lends credibility (to the viewers) that it's a fake, since we all know Dracula's hometown isn't in Texas. Overall, I like the show, but I'm not loving it yet.
    I feel that way about his accent as well. And then of course, we get to hear his "real" accent only when he's speaking with his butler.
    Kiz likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Since I don't really know anything about this actor, his accent doesn't bother me. However he sounds is how he sounds. I am all involved in the story line.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

He speaks in his normal accent on this show when he's not putting on the fake accent with business associates. So you hear it often in the show. I fine the fake american accent really jarring. I know it's supposed to be fakey and whatever but it jars me right out of what's going on story wise. that and the awful music they use on the show.

I'll deal with it and it's not a deal breaker for me.

+ Reply to Thread