+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Dracula - NBC

Re: Dracula - NBC

Well, I am clearing out my DVR and VCR and watching episode 7, 8, 9 and 10 of Dracula.

I have finished episode 7 and 8 and am part way through episode 9.

Impressions:

Jonathan Harker is one of the biggest fools ever. On one hand I feel incredibly sorry for him being used by Grayson, the Order and Davenport and Lucy. Who hasn't manipulated him? Well, Mina hasn't but he is brutal toward her as far as trusting, believing in her and her career. Then after verbally ripping Mina a new one while she lying in a hospital bed recovering from a nasty fall down the stairs, then accidentally or stupidly killing Davenport he promptly goes and has revenge sex or was that pity party sex with Lucy. Then without researching and knowing what he really is getting into he decides to join the Order of the Dragon.

Sidebar: It is a Holy War to get dibs on the oil fields before the Ottomans? That's rich.

Mina has no room to stand on any kind of moral ground. No, I don't mean how she feels about Grayson. I don't think she really has decided who she going to marry or love. By moral ground I mean sneaking into Professor Helsings lab, using his hidden research to make vampire rats (unknowingly to all) and then stealing his potions. Yeah, like that is moral in anyone's book. It's stealing.

One thing makes no sense as far as Grayson knowing Mina was under attack and rescuing her. While he stalks her bedroom window, he does not necessarily stalk her at the university. On the other hand trying to disfigure Mina with acid was a stupid plan ... it did come across ... still the way Grayson manipulated Harker into killing Davenport over that point makes it seem as if Grayson knew all along what was going to happen.

I also thought it incredibly stupid of Grayson to threaten Helsing that his sun vacine would work. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I am surprised that Helsing didn't burn Browning's house down before Browning got there. I wonder if Helsing plans to make the children vampires?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I luv this show, the women wear full make up while recovering from falls and lying in a hospital bed (Mina) and while bathing (Lucy). Women of course never remove heavy mascara, eyebrow pencil, eye color and of course thick blood red lipstick ever especially in late Victorian England.

The finale of season 1. Wow, that was painful. The good thing about the last two episodes you do find out that Vlad Dracula was a member of the Order of the Dragon and he left and the membership didn't like it so they captured him, in his own house, burned his wife alive in front of him and then made him a vampire. Why make him a vampire, a supernatural creature, a very powerful supernatural creature? To what point? As far as I can see both Dracula and the Order of the Dragon are equally arrogant, brutal people who torture, rape and maim in the name of Jesus Christ and the church and they don't care about any collateral damage. The only innocents I see in all this are Iona, Van Helsing, his family and Renfield. It still is not clear why Helsing was targeted and his family destroyed.

What I don't understand is where are all the servants, the minions? There should be servants all over Lucy's house, workers around the resonator etc.... If you spend 15 years building a machine, researching your enemies, you need minions. What do we see, Renfield and Harker and some engineers that work for Greyson. I would think if you spent that much time on a plan you would slowly be destroying your enemies. I certainly would be taking out the seers. I wouldn't want my enemies to know I was coming. I would be taking out key figures of the Order in accidents. Why not demonstrate the geo electricity machine in America first? Build a base there, prove it works there, eliminate oil power there and then move to Europe. There are so many ways this could have been such an intriguing show. There are so many blown opportunities. All I see is an overwhelming theme of arrogance of self and poorly plotted revenge that just goes horribly wrong. Alexander turns down getting involved with Mina yet wrecks revenge on Lucy for sleeping with Jonathan. He should be sending the girl flowers for breaking up that relationship and at the same time ruining the friendship between the girls so all Mina has to turn to for emotional comfort is Alexander. Then there is Van Helsing ... he waited 15 years to kidnap two kids turn them into vampires and then kill the man who destroyed his family and doesn't even remember who Van Helsing is. I have to admit the arrogance Browning had facing Van Helsing and sneering at him when Van Helsing asked if he remembered him was priceless. Did Browning think sneering would save him or his kids or did he even think about it? None of the characters have any redeeming qualities, you can't like or care about any of them. I take that back I liked Renfield. Poor sot.

All in all the finale was a sheer mess.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 04-08-2014 at 10:01 PM.

from an article posted 11/13/13

Jonathan Rhys Meyers' 'Dracula' Salary Delayed by NBC Amid Addiction Concerns - The Hollywood Reporter

The series is said to be a passion project for NBC Entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt, who courted Rhys Meyers for the role of America's first vampire. In Greenblatt's previous position as president of entertainment at Showtime, he oversaw Tudors, which starred Rhys Meyers as King Henry VIII. (The actor's performance brought him two Golden Globe nominations.)

Obviously, Greenblatt is abundantly familiar with the actor's personal issues, which include several stints in rehab and alcohol-related detainments at airports in Dublin, Paris and New York. According to sources, the star's problems recurred while filming Dracula when, following a meltdown, he returned to London and quietly was hospitalized for a short time. Nonetheless, all 10 episodes of the Cole Haddon-created series have been delivered. Sources say Rhys Meyers, who required a sober companion to accompany him on set, returned to rehab as soon as filming was completed.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Good grief.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Interesting article. They failed to mention that Rhys Meyers is a producer as well. Another reason he'd want the show to do well. At least he knows he has a problem and is accepting the help to make him healthy. I wish him the best, and I sure hope the show returns for a second season.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I just don't understand the draw this crap has for so many people.
    Bearcata likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Interesting article. They failed to mention that Rhys Meyers is a producer as well. Another reason he'd want the show to do well. At least he knows he has a problem and is accepting the help to make him healthy. I wish him the best, and I sure hope the show returns for a second season.
    You have to be careful how you read that, sometimes being named a show's producer is a vanity title with sometimes and sometimes not money attached. On SyFy's Bitten author Kelley Armstrong was named as an executive producer and she said on her website that it was only a courtesy and she had absolutely no power or any say in how the TV version of how her novel was presented.

Interesting Bearcata
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

That article about JRM's alleged alcohol problems on-set has been quoted so many times so that I'm officially blue in the face.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread