+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Witches of East End (Lifetime)

Witches of East End (Lifetime)

Witches of East End (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Witches of East End is an American fantasy drama television series based on the novel of the same name by Melissa de la Cruz.[1] Lifetime announced its intention to film a television pilot of the series in autumn of 2012, with filming taking place in Macon, Georgia and Wilmington, North Carolina.[2] On January 31, 2013, Lifetime confirmed that they were ordering ten episodes with the intention of airing Witches of East End later that same year.[3] The series stars Julia Ormond, Jenna Dewan-Tatum, Rachel Boston, and Mädchen Amick.[4] The series premiered on October 6, 2013.[5]

This is a 10 episode series loosely based on a book by Melissa de la Cruz who writes mostly for teens also known as YA Young Adults. The series has aired 2 episodes so far and it is quite fun and can be lighthearted there are also dark moments. It plays more like Grimm or Charmed then say True Blood or Game of Thrones. At this point I think my favorite characters are Aunt Wendy (is that a bit of bow the Wendy the Good Witch of Casper the Ghost fame?) and Ingrid the quite, mousy librarian. Freya the other sister is your stereotypical dramatic wild child who can't seem to live without a man.

Airs Sunday on Lifetime at 10 pm but is also available on Comcast's On Demand feature.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: Witches of East End (Lifetime)

Episode 1 - pilot - October 6, 2013

Initially I was kind of skeptical about this show as the synopsis I had read seemed kinda lame (immortal witch mom with two mortal daughters), then came the opening scene showing daughter Freya at her engagement party and following the bad sheep brother up the staircase. Oh, great overly sexed young things and no plot I thought. The roses bursting in to fire as Freya kissed Killian was rather laughable but after she left him and ran down the hall I liked the effects of the roses coming to full bloom and bursting and filling the hallway with rose petals it was very charming. Then we see the mousy librarian sister. Hey, librarians can be hot and sexy. I liked how she unknowingly helped her friend with the fertility rite. What saves the show is the fast pace, it moves along we the viewers are not given small hints of what is to come in agonizing slowness like most shows. Liked the sorcerer who was trapped in the painting of a desert escaping and then trapping Freya in a picture of a speak easy. The two witch sisters Joanna and Wendy have a great barter between them. I like how we see that both the older sisters are under a curse and that the younger girls are effected by it. I don't particularly like the casting of the Gardiner brothers Dash and Killian. Dash, really, how soap opera. Dash I could live with but the actor playing Killian seems a poor attempt to replicate the look of Ian Somerhalder of The CW's The Vampire Diaries. Overall the show had a nice fun and ditzy feel to it that made me want to watch episode 2.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 10-20-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I find this show uninteresting. Oh well......
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I can't imagine a mother giving birth over and over through the ages knowing that her two daughters will die only to be reborn as exact duplicates of the other daughters. I understand her wanting to hide her past and history from them, but hormones will out and so will witchy powers. Fascinating show.
    JavaJo likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I did think it was rather strange as a witch who has lived a relative long time does not ward her own home?

I'm really enjoying this show so far. It's soapy and supernatural-y. Right up my alley! LOL.

I'm a bit concerned though since Bearcata mentioned these were based on YA books. My biggest problem with YA, in terms of it translating into adult shows, is the lack of getting it on. So far, the genetic overacheiver Ms. Channing Tatum and her illicit dream man candy are doing a good job of heating things up but that's just not going to be enough.

The witch stuff is good and I like how they're introducing it slowly. I liked how the tree in the backyard came back to life as the 4 women did their spell. 2 generations of sisters - that's got to be powerful magic there.

I'm not sure I get the attempt at the relationship between the detective and Ingrid. I don't see any chemistry there.

I did think it was rather strange as a witch who has lived a relative long time does not ward her own home?
    I think she has grown complacent over time. She talked about being out of practice after being attacked by the shapeshifter in her kitchen. Her sister did mention that she had the town warded and they did question how the shapeshifter was able to break the town wards. I thought they said something about the house too.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Episode 2 - Marilyn Fenwick RIP - October 13, 2013

I think the episode flowed well from the premiere right into Ingrid resurrecting Aunt Wendy and then racing off to save Freya. The Killian and Dash scenes rather forced and you think gosh can't Freya do better. Did like how Joanna, Wendy, Ingrid and Freya all came together to save themselves from Freya's murderous ex. Also liked that when Freya did go to hang out with Killian is was a very non sexual scene and much more companionable.

Episode 3 - Today I Am A Witch - October 20, 2013

Still fun .. the flying fish, the flying knives, Ingrid almost freezing her arms off, Joann's flashbacks as she tires to remember all the enemies she has or had, listening to Joanna's accent fade in and out.

Also the scenes between the brothers, Dash and Killian are getting better.

Episode 4 - A Few Good Talismen - October 27, 2013

Episode 5 - Electric Avenue - November 11, 2013

The episodes continue the murder indictment, the search for the shapeshifter, Freya dealing with her future mother-in-law, brother-in-law and husband, and Ingrid finally faces the cost of resurrecting Aunt Wendy. Thought perhaps the plot slowed down a bit and we are not really seeing why Freya is interested in Killian and what is the real reason the brothers hate each other. Still luv'ed how Ingrid is dealing with her grief..cough..cough. One plot point really ticked me off is while Wendy stealing the dead butterfly from the collector I was really really ticked that the butterfly collector trekked all the way to Nepal to catch and kill and mount an incredibly rare butterfly just to add it to his collection. What an incredibly waste of a species and what a stupid thing to do.

Episode 6 - Potentia Noctis - November 10, 2013

Again Ingrid decides to tweak a memory spell, didn't she learn from the last time it's not smart to tweak a spell if you don't know what you are doing. Still we get to see a huge flashback of her being in love with Archibald Browning the man who build Fair Haven and a reputed Satanist.

I liked that we learn that the witches are not necessarily from "here". Nice little teaser.

Thought it was a pretty big hint that Penelope, Freya's future mother-in-law in Athena, was Archibals Browning's daughter and presumed dead is probably the shapeshifter looking for revenge on the witches for the death of her father...just saying.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast