+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: American Horror Story - Coven (FX)

FORT Fan

Re: American Horror Story - Coven (FX)

I thought this past episode was pretty slow. I just recently got caught up finishing season 2, and I think I liked that better compared to season 3 so far.

This episode was good - very creepy and some cases sad.

Also had a few confusing things as well.

(spoilers ahead just to ensure that the East Coast isn't spoiled yet - they are big)

Click to see Spoiler:
    I like seeing LaLaurie getting an education from Queenie about the Civil Rights movement, and more importantly that the show actually used footage of BOTH blacks and whites marching and protesting to show that yes, both sides grouped together for a common ground. It's a nice emotional change for Bates, who is really having to work hard to show emotion given she's now just a head.

I also liked how this lead to the last part of the story, where we're seeing the Voodoo queen actually have to consider working with Fiona.

What bothers me is that it appeared that it was Cordelia's husband who went on the shooting rampage, and Queenie clearly uses her voodoo powers to kill the guy... but he comes back. So either I'm mistaken in the view of who was shooting, or Queenie's powers were nullified when she was shot in the stomach earlier.

I think the Christian woman murdering her son is a bit hypocritical. I mean... are you seriously telling me that you're trying to hide the fact you killed your husband by smothering him? And - she took out his ventilation tube (or it looked like it) wouldn't that send alarms?

I did like Nan showing how hypocritical the woman was. Then again, I like how Nan is a bit of the common sense one of the lot.

Finally, our Frankenstein can talk normally. The (off camera) killing of the German Shepherd scared my cat actually as much as it disturbed me. She actually came up to me and meowed... no, I'm NOT making that up.

I find it interesting that Delia has the two colored eyes, when Frances Conroy actually DOES have two different colored eyes in real life (I think due to an accident). That scene REALLY creeped me out... I won't go into detail.

And it was nice to see Misty again. Lily Rabe is very good at that role, and it's probably my favorite of the two I've seen of her in the entire show's history

Honestly, it's one of the better episodes they've had in a long time.
    Lonnie likes this.

What bothers me is that it appeared that it was Cordelia's husband who went on the shooting rampage, and Queenie clearly uses her voodoo powers to kill the guy... but he comes back. So either I'm mistaken in the view of who was shooting, or Queenie's powers were nullified when she was shot in the stomach earlier.
    I thought Cordelia's husband was dead? Wasn't there a big hole in his head? I think that a part of him was in love with her and he decided to take out Laveau and her people to protect her. Also, didn't they show his father crying over pictures of him?

Just want to make sure I didn't miss something...

Quote Originally Posted by football_chick View Post
    I thought Cordelia's husband was dead? Wasn't there a big hole in his head? I think that a part of him was in love with her and he decided to take out Laveau and her people to protect her. Also, didn't they show his father crying over pictures of him?

Just want to make sure I didn't miss something...
    That's what I saw as well. Unless Misty Day revives him (which I hope she doesn't, we have enough risen people as it is), he shouldn't be back on the show. I liked that he went after the Voo Doo clan.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

I'm trying to figure out what is so great about being the Grande Supreme. I mean, it's just a few other witches in the group and they are nasty, mean and can't be trusted. It seems like a crock to me. Why not move far away and use your witch talent discretely? Hanging out in that coven or being Surpreme doesn't seem to be anything, so why are they fighting to be it? And why fight about it at all? If what they say is true, then the next one will be revealed regardless of what anyone does. So, what is this show all about? It's all mixed up and nothing makes any sense.

And if they used blessed bullets to kill the neigbors, then why didn't it kill them? Are they vampires, witches, what?

Thanks a lot Ryan Murhpy.

If it made sense, then it wouldn't be the American Horror series apparently.

You are right though Debb... there are some things that don't make sense, such as the Supreme bit.

Though I don't get why silver bullets killing witches - I thought that was supposedly just for the werewolf folklore.

But I guess if they could make vampires twinkle... s

Well I was left with a ton of questions after this episode!

This Papa Voodoo guy. Why does he need innocent souls and where are they going? It doesn't seem like he is the type to have nice motives, but Nan sure didn't seem too concerned about going off with him! I did like when he looked at Marie Laveau and Fiona and declared that together they were trouble

I wish they had elaborated on why Fiona apparently doesn't have a soul. Wouldn't not having a soul be a pretty big deal? Seems like something she should have known about! I could assume that bad behavior could chip away at one's soul until there is nothing left, but wouldn't witches know about this and then try to tailor their behavior accordingly? And then once a person gives away their soul what are the implications? It doesn't seem like Marie Laveau is PURE evil. She clearly has mixed feelings about handing over innocent souls to Papa Voodoo annually. It just didn't seem like quite enough weight was being given to the soul.

I'm also uncertain with this whole "Supreme" business. Is there only one person destined to be the Supreme at any given time? So if Zoe was supposed to be the Supreme, then would Misty and/or the other blonde fail if they tried to attempt the seven wonders? Of can their be more than one with potential, and the the first one to complete the challenges would take the spot?

Where the heck was Kyle this episode? Fiona just improved him in the last episode and then we don't get to see any of the results?

I wish they would stop bringing people back to life. They just said a couple of episodes ago that it was supposed to be one of the hardest things to do, and now it seems like they are doing it willy-nilly!

Based on the direction we are going, it just seems like carnage will ensue in upcoming shows...

I like the actors, but the story isn't much, IMO. It had such potential too.

I'm looking forward to next season. I hope Ryan Murphy gets an ear full over this poor season and improves the next.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Well I was left with a ton of questions after this episode!

This Papa Voodoo guy. Why does he need innocent souls and where are they going? It doesn't seem like he is the type to have nice motives, but Nan sure didn't seem too concerned about going off with him! I did like when he looked at Marie Laveau and Fiona and declared that together they were trouble
    The character is - Papa Legba essentially the "gate-keeper" between the worlds of the living and the mysteries, and is the speaker to the spirits in voodoo. I guess he needed the souls so he would have folks on his side to talk to there? (Or it's similar to some of the Aztec/Mayan gods, that in order to get what you want, you have to pay the blood price of innocents).

(Legba is I believe Hatian Vodou - Voodoo).

I think Nan wasn't concerned going with him because she's a. clairvoyant and therefore could read him a bit, and b. even he would be better than the two people who murdered her, and a lifetime of ridicule.

Click to see Spoiler:
    The only thing that I'm sad is that yes, she is officially a dead character, and it sounds like Jamie Brewer is NOT doing any more appearances in the season, but that could be wrong. Shame really because I think she did a very good job as Nan, and yes, I was truly scared of said character yesterday when she went rogue with the bleach incident.

I wish they had elaborated on why Fiona apparently doesn't have a soul. Wouldn't not having a soul be a pretty big deal? Seems like something she should have known about! I could assume that bad behavior could chip away at one's soul until there is nothing left, but wouldn't witches know about this and then try to tailor their behavior accordingly? And then once a person gives away their soul what are the implications? It doesn't seem like Marie Laveau is PURE evil. She clearly has mixed feelings about handing over innocent souls to Papa Voodoo annually. It just didn't seem like quite enough weight was being given to the soul.
    It might not be explained yet, but it *could* be because she has had the fling with the AxMan, who is cursed in his own right, and Fiona has killed (or attempted to) a few people to stay alive, as in going to any means to keep her life, therefore already trading her soul to live.

I'm also uncertain with this whole "Supreme" business. Is there only one person destined to be the Supreme at any given time? So if Zoe was supposed to be the Supreme, then would Misty and/or the other blonde fail if they tried to attempt the seven wonders? Of can their be more than one with potential, and the the first one to complete the challenges would take the spot?
    Earlier in the season, they mention only ONE person has all seven of them, so yes, the others would try and fail. The way it's written currently though... Murphy has apparently added a twist that what we've been told might not be right.

I'm hoping in a way though it's not Zoe, and I will admit I was hoping it was Nan until they killed the character off.

Where the heck was Kyle this episode? Fiona just improved him in the last episode and then we don't get to see any of the results?
    He's supposedly supposed to be back next week, but I also think that Stevie Nicks' decision to appear in the show during the writing of the season - which filming was split up a bit - may have factored into the whole shebang. (which leads me to wonder if they had to delay part of the filming so Sarah Paulson could film in "12 Years A Slave" which would also explain the blonde hair again).

I wish they would stop bringing people back to life. They just said a couple of episodes ago that it was supposed to be one of the hardest things to do, and now it seems like they are doing it willy-nilly!
    Well... I think we can say watching this episode that it most likely will change, and soon...

Based on the direction we are going, it just seems like carnage will ensue in upcoming shows...
    I wouldn't be surprised - this is usually where the massive carnage and deaths and the like starts happening each season. And by carnage... it seems to get worse and worse and such.

DID like that the hazel colored eye Cordelia has doesn't look as fake as it did last time we saw the story.

On one other note, I thought that Frances Conroy in the garden room playing the weird instrument was quite fun to see. She gets to play this wonderfully batty character now with the dark underlying tones still there. Admittedly, since Nan can't be the supreme, I would laugh if she really ends up being the supreme. Unlikely, but hey, who knows anymore?

I honestly don't know how I missed this show AGAIN. It's so frustrating. I looked twice on the guide last night and missed it. Oh well, how long is it taking it now before they put it On Demand? At one time it was taking FX forever to do this.

+ Reply to Thread