+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: American Horror Story - Coven (FX)

Re: American Horror Story - Coven (FX)

I've seen part of the finale. I'll have to watch it all to comment. From what I did see....I wasn't impressed.

Do you recall that Ryan Murhpy was also the producer of the Nip Tuck series. It was wonderful, clever, and genius in many ways. THen the last few seasons it became a joke. It was so poorly written that I was embarrassed for them.

After thinking on this a bit more I ended up with two additional thoughts...

(1) I agree with the other poster who said it still doesn't make sense that Fiona had no soul. How else could she end up in hell? Isn't it the soul that would get sent there? I *think* Papa Legba said something about how she had no soul to bargain with. Maybe it would have made more sense if he had said "you are already mine" or "your soul is too corrupted".

(2) Was the Axe Man in hell just a representation of the real guy? Wouldn't the real Axe Man be serving in his own version of hell instead of being in Fiona's version, which he viewed as "heaven"?

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Do you recall that Ryan Murhpy was also the producer of the Nip Tuck series. It was wonderful, clever, and genius in many ways. THen the last few seasons it became a joke. It was so poorly written that I was embarrassed for them.
    This is exactly why I stopped watching Glee.

This season wasn't as good as the previous one, but a lot of that was they had a tad TOO many ideas in the mix.

What they could've taken out:

1. The witch hunters - Myrtle's (false accusations) and Misty's burning at the stake was just enough to show there was hatred for them. And, they had the AxMan, who was obviously after witches since apparently they were the ones who killed him in the 1930s.

2. The Minotaur - would've rather had Papa Legba there for longer than this character... OR he needed to be brought back some how. OR...

3. Kyle's more Frankenstein role needed to be expanded in favor of the Minotaur. I think that was one of the reasons why Evan Peters got the short end of the stick in the role.

4. I REALLY wish they had just removed the neighbor storyline. They did create it because they had Patti Lupone available, but it just felt SO forced in there - even though Nan's final scenes were enhanced by it. It just really felt extraneous and forced.

5. Frankly, just too many ideas in the queue this go. I think there were way too many different themes going on - minotaur, seven wonders, LaLaurie, Papa Legba, Voodooism, the church lady, the witch hunter and corporation, Cordelia's husband, the blinding (twice) of Delia, the creepy doll loving butler sideline story with Madison, THE BABY (who disappeared). They really needed to keep it down to maybe 3-5 at most and expanded on them.

6. I think Nan should've had one more scene laughing at revenge - maybe appeared with Papa Legba in Fiona's hell with the AxMan and/or the one with Laveaux and LaLaurie.

Now, what I DID like:

1. The acting of the roles - because for as bad as the dialogue and storylines were, the actors played it straight. Last night's episode really made me appreciate all their performances.

2. The use of Stevie Nicks - she was added last moment, but unlike LuPone, it didn't feel forced. One fit in well with the storyline, and the final part was a nice background music to the girls studying their powers and such. It also sounded like she sang all her songs live, even last night, which is rare and I have respect for her doing it that way.

3. I have to say as an addition to the first positive point - I think that the deaths of the characters Nan, Madison, Misty and Myrtle were by far the best played.

Frances Conroy's in particular was my favorite because she showed that she cared so much to protect Cordelia and the coven that she admitted to her crime and sacrificed herself. It was sad, but done with the same grace, humor and eccentricity that made Myrtle fun to watch. I am glad they gave Conroy such a different and fun role this year compared to her more serious roles in the past two seasons.

Misty's "hell" was definitely one I can see being the cause of her demise. She loves animals and nature so much that yes... it'd be a hard one to get out of.

Nan's was shocking so that added to the "horror" aspect of this season. I do wish however they'd do a season where Jamie Brewer's character lasts the entire series. This may sound insensitive and I apologize, but I wonder if they're required by law to limit a person with a mental handicap's appearances in TV? (Which, BTW I would hate if true and I think she was fantastic both seasons).

Madison's - and Fiona's for that matter - were fitting in the end. The way they filmed the scenes for both were perfect, and I liked the twist of Madison dying as Zoe was being saved.

4. The scenery and settings were well done.

5. I liked the odd angles and unusual filming of places as well.

So, not the best season, but certainly not as bad as other shows have been on TV lately. If Ryan Murphy will rein in his ideas a bit more, he'll have a better season next year.
    waywyrd and ClosetRTWatcher like this.

Good points above by all.

And I agree, if Fiona has no soul, then why would she go to hell? Wouldn't she just be in nothingness? And why would her hell be getting fresh food, good bed and regular sex? So what it's knotty pine. lol

And why would the Axe Murderer get to live in heaven after all the people he killed?

Why did Myrtle have to die? Sure, she gives this reason about not tainting the coven due her murder of the previous counsel, but hey, if they are going to nit pick, what about Madison? She was allowed to participate in the Seven Wonders despite having put Zoe in a hole for days on in that could have killed her. I guess that didn't count.

So Misty can surrive being buried alive for 4 days, but can't take 45 minutes with oxygen dreaming of her high school classroom? Thanks Ryan for ruining one of the few good characters, IMO.

Still, the Seven Wonders didn't seem all that difficult to me. Who knew the revisit your worst dream and then return challenge would do Misty in. Seems so unfair. Still, it made no sense to me. The Supreme was going to be the Supreme regardless, so why risk your life in the Seven Wonders challenge?

I guess I just didn't care enough about the characters. The progression didn't cause me to be very invested. And I agree that there were too many unnecessary characters and storylines that just diluted the season.

Yes, I love some of those actors. Bates, Lang, Bass, and my favorite Stevie Nicks were the best parts. I bet they got a big kick out of it. That's my favorite part.

Now Cordelia, Queenie and Zoe are going to rule the coven. Hmmmmm................yeah, right. It sure did wrap up nicely.

Man, I hope next season is better.
    Last edited by Debb70; 01-30-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Why did Myrtle have to die? Sure, she gives this reason about not tainting the coven due her murder of the previous counsel, but hey, if they are going to nit pick, what about Madison? She was allowed to participate in the Seven Wonders despite having put Zoe in a hole for days on in that could have killed her. I guess that didn't count.
    Myrtle said that because she murdered members of their own kind, she was afraid that she'd start trying to taint Cordelia in a bad way, so she wanted to die rather than risk hurting Delia. It was in a way a self-sacrifice for the greater good.

And Madison buried Misty alive, not Zoe. Not sure if it was even shown or proven she did (but I missed last week's episode).

So Misty can surrive being buried alive for 4 days, but can't take 45 minutes with oxygen dreaming of her high school classroom? Thanks Ryan for ruining one of the few good characters, IMO.
    My understanding was it was longer than that - AND they had to escape the mental version of their hell. I do agree though they could've found a different way for Misty to not be a supreme - they could've had her return, but back down for starters - i.e. it was super close to the deadline when she got out, and realized if it took that long she wasn't the supreme.

Now Cordelia, Queenie and Zoe are going to rule the coven. Hmmmmm................yeah, right. It sure did wrap up nicely.

Man, I hope next season is better.
    I can see that though - Queenie, knowing voodoo as well as witchcraft, can help the girls who may be voodoo dolls essentially or practice that style fit into the group. She also will show them that respect goes both ways.

Zoe... well, I'll give you that one because they really did need someone with a few more quirks like Misty to help with the more eccentric or ones nervous about their powers. Zoe really was a bit boring, though the actress was good with what she was given.

Cordelia is the one who will give constructive criticism and help in the good and the bad.
    Debb70 likes this.

I read yesterday that Ryan Murphy stated that no one had yet guessd who the new Supreme would be. I hope that was a misquote. If not, Ryan is delusional. lol

If Cordelia could have her blindness cured TWICE, then I wonder why they couldn't have restored her pregnancy. There were so many deaths and resurections that it seems odd that it wasn't possible for Cordelia's fetus or Fiona's cancer.

I read yesterday that Ryan Murphy stated that no one had yet guessd who the new Supreme would be. I hope that was a misquote. If not, Ryan is delusional. lol

If Cordelia could have her blindness cured TWICE, then I wonder why they couldn't have restored her pregnancy. There were so many deaths and resurections that it seems odd that it wasn't possible for Cordelia's fetus or Fiona's cancer.
    I have a feeling he meant none of the actresses knew until the final script, or folks he's met not knowing for sure.

One of the cures for blindness was Myrtle killing the two others on the council and using one of each of their eyes in Cordelia with a healing potion.

My understanding was Cordelia was infertile, which was why she seriously tried to get the voodoo treatment by Laveaux (who refused because Fiona made her mad).

As far as healing - something tells me that the "Youth and radiance" bit toward the end when we see a healthy and sighted Delia we find out she could conceive if she wanted to (or are to assume).

And Fiona - it was said very clearly that when a new supreme was found the old one died. Fiona wasn't going to survive no matter what, and if Delia did heal her completely Fiona could try to kill her and return to the Supreme status (which from the sound of things she didn't want - regretting her life choices).

And I agree, if Fiona has no soul, then why would she go to hell? Wouldn't she just be in nothingness? And why would her hell be getting fresh food, good bed and regular sex? So what it's knotty pine. lol
    KNOTTY PINE!?!?
    I loved that moment!!

Yeah, I'm not a knotty pine person either, but there are worse things. lol

I got tickled when the Axe Man told Fiona he had something stiff for her. lol She called him vulgar! Now that could be a series. Sort of like a horror version of Green Acres. Now I'm showing my age! lol
    dreamonia likes this.

Yeah, I'm not a knotty pine person either, but there are worse things. lol

I got tickled when the Axe Man told Fiona he had something stiff for her. lol She called him vulgar! Now that could be a series. Sort of like a horror version of Green Acres. Now I'm showing my age! lol
    Yeah, could be so.

Of course, my mind for Misty - she finally overcomes her hell, and instead of cutting the frog, turns toward the science teacher and stabs him (Or, a little cleaner, just kills the frog and moves on).

Because she overcomes her hell, she notices things turn white. Stevie Nicks comes forward and tells her she did a good job overcoming her fear.

Misty realizes though it took too long and she's dead, which Nicks confirms... BUT... Nicks then says she's in a better place and starts singing, leading to that impromptu eternal concert someone here mentioned or I read.

I just think she should've had a slightly happier ending than what we saw.... especially after we saw her bring back turkey Madison.

+ Reply to Thread