+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Once Upon A Time in Wonderland (ABC)

Once Upon A Time in Wonderland (ABC)

This thread is for the spinoff show Wonderland, which premieres Thursday Oct. 10th. Discussion of the original Once Upon A Time can still be found in its own thread: Once Upon A Time ABC

In Victorian England, young and beautiful Alice (Sophie Lowe) tells an impossible tale of a strange new land that exists on the other side of a rabbit hole. An invisible cat, a hookah-smoking caterpillar and playing cards that can talk are just some of the fantastic things she's seen during her adventure. Surely this troubled girl must be insane. Her doctors intend to cure her with a treatment that will make her forget—everything. Alice seems ready to put it all behind her, especially the painful memory of the genie she fell in love with and lost forever, the handsome and mysterious Cyrus (Peter Gadiot). But in her heart Alice knows this world is real, and just in the nick of time the sardonic Knave of Hearts (Michael Socha) and the irrepressible White Rabbit (John Lithgow) arrive to save her from her fate. Together the trio will take a tumble down the rabbit hole to a Wonderland where nothing is impossible.

Once Upon a Time in Wonderland stars Sophie Lowe (Beautiful Kate) as Alice, Michael Socha (This Is England) as The Knave of Hearts, Peter Gadiot (The Forbidden Girl) as Cyrus, Emma Rigby (Prisoners Wives) as The Red Queen, with Naveen Andrews (Lost) as Jafar and John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun) as the voice of The White Rabbit.
    Once Upon a Time in Wonderland | ABC TV Show News, Cast, Photos & More
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

Re: Once Upon A Time in Wonderland (ABC)

COmcast's On Demand feature has a 22 minute preview of this show and it is fantastic.
    Florimel likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Cox On Demand also has it. I liked it.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Looking forward to seeing "Tom" from Being Human. Besides, with writers from Lost what do I have to lose? Come on Thursday!
    Florimel, libgirl2 and Coco46 like this.

How was it?! I forgot to watch, but I'm curious as to what everyone thought!
    Keep your feet on the ground, when your heads in the clouds!

I will say that I am enjoying this series a bit more than I did the original "OUAT." I think the cast is far better myself, and fit the roles given to them. The visual effects are stunning, the cast is quite strong, and I will admit that they combination of villains they have is odd... but it actually works (so far).

The downside is I cannot see this show going on for more than two seasons - and here a stretch - without causing some jump the shark moments.

The other downside? - All the CGI they use in the series is going to make it a high cost product, so if ABC has to cut shows due to costs, they'll have to either seriously retool the show to put these badguys in modern day (similar to "Enchanted") or the show will be canceled.

As far as the episode itself - well, other than the bit where the Red Queen did a duckface pout (Which was quite funny I thought given how they designed the queen), I thought it was a nice start to a series.

Overall I really liked it. I'm sorry, though, I will not be able to watch the scenes with Jafar without laughing. When he was on the balcony with the Red Queen, I kept waiting for Robin Williams to start buzzing around. And stepping off the railing onto the flying carpet...oh my.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I enjoyed it very much, but I agree about Jafar. I thought he looked remarkably like the animated version as well, which added to my amusement.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing "Tom" from Being Human. Besides, with writers from Lost what do I have to lose? Come on Thursday!
    I really loved seeing him in another role. And sorry Alice, forget Cyrus, you have the Knave of Hearts!
    Misty8723 likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I finally watched this yesterday. All in all I liked it. I agree that the CGI was quite good, but a bit much. I hope it's toned down for future episodes. I was disappointed that the show didn't have much of a non-fairytale twist to it, like OUAT does. Maybe it's coming. Who knows. The entire thing done as nothing more than a retelling of Alice in Wonderland will get real old real fast for me.

As far as the cast:
    First off, I was glad to see the Doctor again. He played the Warden on Alcatraz a year or 2 ago & was quite good. Played the same type of character. He's good at that.
    I loved Alice. The actress is great & I like what they did with the character.
    Jafar was great too. That bushy mop of curly hair was distracting, but I can learn to live with it. He'll make a very good villian. He's no comparison to Rumplestiltskin , but he's good.
    I also liked the Knave of Hearts. A great addition to the story.
    I LOVED the White Rabbit. Of course, even as a voice actor, John Lithgow adds a lot to anything he does.
    As to Cyrus, an adequate romantic lead, but I haven't seen enough of him to really judge his character. I did like that they had Alice fall in love with a genie.
    Last but certainly least, the Queen of Hearts, or Red Queen, or whatever she was, was a huge weak spot. First off, those awful lips were beyond distracting. Second, the actress & acting were somewhere between bland & laughable. She had no personality at all. Regina or Cora from OUAT could definitely give her some Evil Queen lessons. When Jafar was threatening to kill her on the balcony, I was really hoping he would. I was disappointed when he let her go.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast