+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Once Upon A Time in Wonderland (ABC)

Re: Once Upon A Time in Wonderland (ABC)

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Anyone else think that other prisoner in Jaffar's Tower is his father?

Good observation! Although I must say that it just didn't ring true for me. I was just reading an article the other day where the other bemoaned how bad guys convert in the end and suddenly support the hero. Flip that around, the author said. If a good guy suddenly announced at the end of a movie that he felt like joining the villain, it just wouldn't ring true. I laughed, therefore, at the Big Reveal. I mean, this fellow prisoner of Cyrus has been presented to us as a kindly old man. Now, though, in the blink of an eye, we're supposed to believe he's evil like Jafar. Huh? I mean, if they had shown how he regretted his actions a la Alice's dad, that would have been one thing. But this complete turnaround just left me feeling cold.

Speaking of Alice's father, I don't really like that plot, either. Now, let me admit that I am completely biased. A dear relative of mine has a mental illness, so I have seen firsthand the devastating effects it can have on a family. Because of this, my sympathies are with Dad. I mean, his daughter continually runs away and then comes back babbling about some fantastical land where genies exist. Why in the heck would he not lock her up? He must have been imagining Lord-knows-what happening to her while she was away, so he wanted to protect her.

I do agree with Alice, though, that her father should have come to visit her. We visited my relative while he was in a care facility, and it meant the world to him. I can only imagine how hard that must have been on Alice to have her father desert her like that.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I don't think Wonderland is doing that well in the ratings as there has been no talk of picking up more episodes for this season. Currently the show is at 13 episodes with episode 7 and 8 airing on Dec 5th and Dec 12th. The show is on hiatus until March 6, 2014 and then they will air the remaining 5 episodes. I don't think a 2 and a half month break will help the ratings much.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I don't think Wonderland is doing that well in the ratings as there has been no talk of picking up more episodes for this season. Currently the show is at 13 episodes with episode 7 and 8 airing on Dec 5th and Dec 12th. The show is on hiatus until March 6, 2014 and then they will air the remaining 5 episodes. I don't think a 2 and a half month break will help the ratings much.
    Too bad. I really like Michael Socha.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I haven't missed a show yet & intend to see them all, but if it ended right now I wouldn't miss it all that much.
    I really wanted, & still want, to like it. But it just isn't grabbing me like the shows I really like do.
    I don't find myself caring about the characters, except The Knave.

Even after this week's episode, I have no sympathy whatsoever for Jafar. That's important in a villian. You have to not only understand where they're coming from, but have some sympathy for what made them the way they are. I have none.
    Same with the Red Queen. I just don't care.
    Alice, I like alright, but not enough to really care every time she has a problem.

I realize it's supposed to be a fantasy, but the characters are all so cartoonish & one dimentional.
    If by some odd chance it does get picked up for next season, I probably won't be bothering.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I haven't missed a show yet & intend to see them all, but if it ended right now I wouldn't miss it all that much.
    I really wanted, & still want, to like it. But it just isn't grabbing me like the shows I really like do.

Even after this week's episode, I have no sympathy whatsoever for Jafar. That's important in a villian. You have to not only understand where they're coming from, but have some sympathy for what made them the way they are. I have none.
    Alice, I like alright, but not enough to really care every time she has a problem.

I realize it's supposed to be a fantasy, but the characters are all so cartoonish & one dimentional.
    If by some odd chance it does get picked up for next season, I probably won't be bothering.
    I like the knave and do want to know what is going to happen to him. The Red Queen is also rather interesting. While the actor playing Jaffar is doing an excellent job I too don't care. Cyrus at first came across as some wimpy throw away character but he is growing and piquing my interest. For me the most interesting part of this show is the relationship between The Knave of Hearts and The Red Queen.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post

Bearcata:

I like the knave and do want to know what is going to happen to him. The Red Queen is also rather interesting. While the actor playing Jaffar is doing an excellent job I too don't care. Cyrus at first came across as some wimpy throw away character but he is growing and piquing my interest. For me the most interesting part of this show is the relationship between The Knave of Hearts and The Red Queen.

I agree with you both. Despite my occasional rant, I actually like this show. Like you said, Miss Scarlet, I have watched every episode and will stick with it to the end. If it's offered on Amazon then I will snap it up.

However, they do have a real problem with characterization. Sadly, this isn't the only show I like that has this problem, so I wonder if this is a general decline in TV writing? In regards to this show, you nailed it, Bearcata. For me, the most interesting two characters are RQ and the Knave. I want to learn more about them, because I think they've had the best story thus far.

I just cannot get "in" to Alice. To me she just comes across as another whiny teenager. She's too modern, so I can't become immersed in either Victorian England or Wonderland. It's ironic, because remember that article I referenced above? "Cliches That Every Fantasy Movie Has Now"? Yeah, well, their number one cliche was that "every heroine has to be a kick-butt sword-wielding one who's stronger than the male lead." So again, Alice just feels like a cliche to me.

I'm still on the fence about Cyrus. He seems like a really nice guy, and he had some good scenes with Jafar and the old gentleman. I'll have to see how he interacts with Alice once they're together.

I'm just not "in" to Jafar, either. Again, they've made him too modern. "I had a lousy upbringing so now I'm a screwed-up adult." Seriously? That's not a villain, that's somebody who needs therapy. I wish they hadn't of introduced this whole "revenge against my father" plot, because it just cheapens the character. All his evil stuff now just seems petty. They've also rushed into revealing his past way too quickly.

A great comparison would be "Once Upon a Time". It wasn't until the second season that you found out about Rumpy or Regina's background. When it was revealed (over many episodes), it made both of them much more sympathetic. Another great comparison is Star Wars. It wasn't until well into the second movie that you found about Darth Vader being Luke's father. For all three characters, viewers simply enjoyed the pure villainy until the Big Reveal.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

I had to go back to Page 4 to find this, & even then it was the last thread on the bottom of the page.

Anyhow, it returns tonight. For those back East, right about now.

Thank you. I had forgotten all about this show, so I'm so glad it was still set to record on my DVR box.

And now I remember why I was starting to lose interest in this show back in the autumn. Alice is getting on my last nerve. After everything Will did for her, and she begrudges hunting him down and setting him free? I actually liked the RQ better in this episode. She was right. Alice's self-righteous and and self-absorbed behavior with Genie are insufferable. And I know Alice had reason to hate the RQ, but that scene where she refused to have pity and rescue the latter did absolutely nothing for me. I would have been happy for the wolves to eat her.

When it got to the grand romantic proposal, all I could think was, "Why in the world would any guy want to spend eternity with this sulking brat? I can't think of a worse punishment."

Really sorry to see Lizard die. Her scenes with Will were the best in the episode.

I thought the Jabberwocky looked like a floozy. I found her to be much less scary once she revealed herself.

I found the Cyrus/Amara (or whatever her name was) relationship quite interesting. It's one of the few things I'm really interested in seeing how it plays out & how what happened to her sons affected her future.

Once again Red Queen's lips were distracting. When they showed her from the side during the captured prisoner scenes, that top lip jutted out like it had a life of its own. It's a wonder the woman can talk.

Why on earth do women do that to themselves? Don't they have mirrors? It looks ridiculous.

Overall, I liked this episode--probably because Alice appeared in so little of it! I liked the whole plot with the RQ, because it adds so much depth to her relationship with Will. Can he forgive her for being weak? What would any of us have done in that situation? Does Will ever get to discover how she's changing (i.e. warning Alice and Cyrus to get the heck out of there while she remains in jail)? Great stuff.

Minor critiques:

Jabberwocky reminds me of Lady Ga-ga, and for me that's not a good thing.

I found it hard to take the Guardian of the Well seriously. She looked like something out of a cheesy horror flick.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast