+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The Michael J. Fox Show (NBC, Thursdays)

The Michael J. Fox Show (NBC, Thursdays)

The Michael J Fox Show | A Family Comedy | Pics & Videos | NBC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw that Marie/Betsy Brandt plays Michael J. Fox's wife in his new show. Watched it last night and didn't like it much.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 09-28-2013 at 10:53 PM.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Re: Breaking Bad

Quote Originally Posted by tango7 View Post
    I saw that Marie/Betsy Brandt plays Michael J. Fox's wife in his new show. Watched it last night and didn't like it much.
    I'm with you, T7. It felt too forced to me and Betsy Brandt came off as way too old and uptight to be his wife. Strangely, MJF's real life wife Tracy Pollan looked awful... too thin and perhaps too botox'd? Not sure.

Maybe it's too soon for me to believe Betsy Brandt in ANY role other than Marie Schrader at this point. I mean I know they gotta strike while the iron's hot but....

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    I'm with you, T7. It felt too forced to me and Betsy Brandt came off as way too old and uptight to be his wife. Strangely, MJF's real life wife Tracy Pollan looked awful... too thin and perhaps too botox'd? Not sure.

Maybe it's too soon for me to believe Betsy Brandt in ANY role other than Marie Schrader at this point. I mean I know they gotta strike while the iron's hot but....
    Gotta say, this confused me a little. Michael J. Fox is 54, Tracy Pollan is 55, and Betsy Brandt is 36. She definitely didn't seem too old to me. I did think the humor was a little one-note and I'm not sure how long they can sustain it, but I am a fan of his and will keep watching to support him.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Gotta say, this confused me a little. Michael J. Fox is 54, Tracy Pollan is 55, and Betsy Brandt is 36. She definitely didn't seem too old to me. I did think the humor was a little one-note and I'm not sure how long they can sustain it, but I am a fan of his and will keep watching to support him.
    Florimel, I apologize, I didn't mean that Betsy Brandt IS too old... she just came off as too old (and uptight) either by way of the writing or the acting... or it's really possible that I just still see her as Marie Schrader who, to me, was wrapped a bit tightly. And it's also possible that I still see MJF as "Alex P. Keaton" and have difficulty with him being all grown up now I don't think so but who knows.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    Florimel, I apologize, I didn't mean that Betsy Brandt IS too old... she just came off as too old (and uptight) either by way of the writing or the acting... or it's really possible that I just still see her as Marie Schrader who, to me, was wrapped a bit tightly. And it's also possible that I still see MJF as "Alex P. Keaton" and have difficulty with him being all grown up now I don't think so but who knows.
    Oh yes, he will always and forever been Alex P. Keaton to me, too, Marlena_M, even though I loved him as Marty McFly.

Did you know that then president of NBC's Programming, Brandon Tartikoff, did not want and refused to approve Michael for the Alex role? Exec producer, Gary Goldberg fought tooth and nail for him until Tartikoff relented, still thinking it was a mistake. Kind of indicative of NBC's programming decisions in general, isn't it?
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Re: The Michael J. Fox Show (NBC, Thursdays)

I tried to like it, because I adore MJF. But I just didn't like the show
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

To the Point

I completely forgot to record this show. Wanted to give it a try because I too love MJF. Sorry to hear it isn't all it could be. Might have to record it and watch it at least once.

I wanted to like it, but it didn't do anything for me. Will watch again to see if it gets better, but if not then no more.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

FORT Fogey

I wanted to like it, too - even watched the second episode twice. Maybe it'll get better, but right now I find it mediocre. I don't like mediocre comedies. There are too many good ones (Modern Family, BBT, M&M, The Middle) for me to waste my time watching one that is only so-so. They're walking a fine line between too many Parkinson's jokes, and totally ignoring it, like the plot line about the sexy neighbor. BTW, if my husband (if I had one) were so obviously jealous of another woman's attention to another man instead of him, I might punch him in the nose, Parkinson's or not. Maybe it's just me, but I had trouble understanding all of MJF's lines, too. I know speech slurring is related to his condition, and I don't mean to be insensitive. Just saying I couldn't understand him some of the time. The only character I kind of like is the boss/work colleague, the one who the neighbor came on to.

I think he got his own show because he gained fans during his guest stint on The Good Wife. I haven't watched it yet, but I was hoping it would be witty and funny with a serious look at work and family life while dealing with Parkinsons.

One of the best "light side" reporters on CBS Sunday Morning, Bill Geist, last year disclosed he had Parkinsons and you can see the progression with his pieces. How to keep working...how?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast