+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The Michael J. Fox Show (NBC, Thursdays)

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Re: The Michael J. Fox Show (NBC, Thursdays)

From what I've read, the Parkinson's jokes will definitely decline. They wanted to get them in, up front, to "get it over with" so it's not an issue they have to constantly deal with. Only time will tell. I admit I did have trouble understanding some of MJF's lines. And yes, if my husband got upset about another woman's attraction to another man, yeah, it'd be one helluvanissue! LOL!
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

I've loved MJF from Family Ties to Spin City and the movies inbetween and after. But I just cannot get into the supporting cast. I don't care much for the wife, the sister or even the kids. I wonder if they did a focus group beforehand because I would have definitely recommended recasting the wife. I don't know the actresses work and maybe she has been good in her other roles but I'm just not feeling her with this. At all. I do wish him success but I don't think I'll stay tuned for this. I'll give it one more shot.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Maybe it's because I hate Marie on BB, but I just don't like Betsy Brandt. I just couldn't get into this one. I'm not really a sitcom person anyway, so this one is probably not getting a second viewing.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    From what I've read, the Parkinson's jokes will definitely decline. They wanted to get them in, up front, to "get it over with" so it's not an issue they have to constantly deal with. Only time will tell. I admit I did have trouble understanding some of MJF's lines. And yes, if my husband got upset about another woman's attraction to another man, yeah, it'd be one helluvanissue! LOL!
    I just think they're between a rock and a hard place with this. It's not like they can ignore it, so how much can the jokes and attention to it decline when the fact that MJF's character has returned to work despite having Parkinson's is much of the whole premise of the show? The wife is not only miscast to me, but the way they're writing her so far, she seems more like his mother or older sister than his wife, despite one quick scene of them getting "romantic" in bed.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I just think they're between a rock and a hard place with this. It's not like they can ignore it, so how much can the jokes and attention to it decline when the fact that MJF's character has returned to work despite having Parkinson's is much of the whole premise of the show? The wife is not only miscast to me, but the way they're writing her so far, she seems more like his mother or older sister than his wife, despite one quick scene of them getting "romantic" in bed.
    Yeah, it's sort of like all the fat jokes on Mike and Molly, which wore a bit thin (no pun intended). I know they can't ignore the elephant in the room (also no pun intended), but it seemed like overkill. At a certain point it bleeds over into PSA territory, like a 30 minute "The More You Know" commercial.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have always love MJF! We watched this Thursday! We liked it but not sure if we will watch it weekly! I actually thought "Marie" was better in this role then BrBa!
    KAREN

FORT Fan

I've always been a MJF fan, but I didn't like this at all. I'll give it another try or two, but may not watch after that.

I wanted it to be good, because MJF loves to work. I was hoping he would appear more on The Good Wife( he was very good on that show) I just don't care for comedies that much. Sorry MJF
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I tried to watch it, but couldn't get into it at all. It also made me kind of sad...is he really that bad off or is some of it acting?
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Glad I came here to see what ya'll thought. My DVR is full enough as it is. Sounds like this is one to miss. I like MJF too, but if the show is bad, the show is bad. I would imagine that his Parkinson's is really limiting his ability to translate emotions and natural reactions through the tv screen.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast