+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (ABC, Tuesdays)

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (ABC, Tuesdays)

I watched the Premier repeat last night, especially after reading good reviews here. It wasn't bad, but I wasn't nearly as impressed as most.
    I've never seen The Avengers, so any background or tie in was completely lost on me. It was pretty much as I expected: a bit self-important & full of itself. The lead guy was much better than the previews indicated. In them he seemed like a snotty demeaning jerk, but on the show he was much more professional & competant seeming.
    I also liked Lola, both the "Don't touch Lola" line & it's delivery, & the fact that she took off & flew at the end.

The other cast seemed a bit generic to me, except for the Melinda May character. She stood out.

Depending on what shows it's up against I'm willing to watch again, but if it's up against a few of my keeper shows, I'll skip it. I don't mind Super Hero shows, but I'm not big on them either.
    I'd rate it a "It's OK, but not wowwing."
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I tend to avoid super hero shows and movies like the plague, but every once in a blue moon, one comes along that I'm willing to give a chance. I kind of liked the pilot episdoe and I'll probably dvr it. I love Joss Whedon and will sample anything he comes up with. None of the actors are really well known, at least to me, but Joss does tend to find lesser knows and cast them properly.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I watched a second time (with closed caption) and am now a fan. I loved the off the cuff humor and reference , for example, to whether Thor was a god or not. "Those arms...if you had been held in those arms..."

I like the compact team not restricted to red tape orders from headquarters and the flying fortress, along with an improved Lola and only one black SUV should get the job done. It will be interesting to see what kind of threats face the "new" world after Loki and his minions made their vengeance apparent in New York. With a new Thor movie coming out, I wonder. Anyway, they still have to find the organization that developed the soldier serum and they have a priority code ??? which in the previews seems to mean they don't know what the heck the threat is.

Okay...I'm sold.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I am a big comic book fan, and The Avengers became one of my favorite movies, and in my opinion, the best superhero movie ever. Which surprised me, because I pretty much hate everything Joss Whedon makes. I still want to punch him in the larynx for the piece of garbage that was Cabin in the Woods. So I was actually looking forward to this, but gosh, that pilot. It was just so entirely underwhelming. I was not impressed by anything, I was not thrilling, the characters failed to make me care or be interested about them.

Worst part was how it hyped me up and then shot me down. When I saw J. August Richards showing the super strength stuff, I instantly thought he was Luke Cage, a character known for super strength and impenetrable skin, and whom I consider an underrated Marvel superhero. But then I remembered he had a son, but not in the comics, were only in recent years he became a dad to a baby girl. So then it confirms, it's not Luke Cage, it's just a victim of the week. Gosh was that a letdown.

I'll give it about 5 episodes to pick up my interest, but so far I am very disappointed, especially after Sleepy Hollow had a great pilot.

I have never read a comic in my life and never really had an opinion on comics or super heroes etc... With that said, I had to watch the first episode twice to truly "get it". I enjoyed it and will watch again. I missed some of the humor the first time around, so now I know I need to be fully attentive when watching this show so I don't miss anything.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick View Post
    I have never read a comic in my life and never really had an opinion on comics or super heroes etc... With that said, I had to watch the first episode twice to truly "get it". I enjoyed it and will watch again. I missed some of the humor the first time around, so now I know I need to be fully attentive when watching this show so I don't miss anything.
    The humor and witty repartee is largely due to Joss Whedon, it's why I really luv'ed Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, and yes sometimes you really need to watch the episode or specific scenes several times to get all the nuances. Whedon does a lot of little unexpected twists with plot and character development that you only truly appreciate sometimes only after seeing several episodes. I think the best example of that was when Agent Coulson injected the truth serum into Agent Ward instead of Skye and then he left Skye (the hacker) to interrogate Agent Ward, as the commerical said "that was priceless".
    Florimel likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Totally agree with Bearcata's assessment. I must add Whendon's Frefly/Serenity to her list. I watch that entire series at least once or twice a year.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

2nd episode.

Highlights:

...liked the reference to the Hydra and subtlety to Captain America and Avengers

...Agent Coulson has game

...wasn't it convenient that they had the correct size emergency inflatable raft to fit the hole in the side of the plane? Also cute nod at the airline industry and how no one reads the emergency exit pamphlet.

...liked the dialogue when the team was all tied up in the docking bay of the plane

...liked the nickname "The Cavalry"

...liked that Skye has a hidden agenda

...liked the nod to all the fish tank tv shows

..luv'ed seeing Nick Fury and the reference to Lola
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I read a blurb yesterday that said viewers should watch through the credits for a surprise cameo guest appearance. I haven't watched any of the Avengers movies, but I'm assuming that guest star was Samuel L Jackson and that he played a character with an eye patch in at l east one of the films.

It goes against type for me, but I am enjoying this series so far.

This has proven to be fast, quirky and fun with a capital F. But, it won't all be fun and games in the future as Skye texted Rising Tide that she was IN. They've gone dark.

How cool to see Fury laying down the law. Oh, and Coulson knows he died...he made a reference to post death or something. He did give off a James Bond flair this episode.

I loved seeing Coulson's instincts prove correct when the individuals had to form a team to survive. As he said, it took a common enemy. How freaky that the inflatable lifeboat had enough stiff edge to not get sucked out of the plane's door. I also liked that when Coulson saw the flying robot, he retied his hands to the post knowing something like depressurization might happen.

Cool show. I re-watched The Avengers last evening to refresh my memory. Before the next episode, I'll re-watch Thor and Captain America. I like that they are tying this show back to those as if it is a continuation of the saga.

I also really, really like that ABC gives us CC capability where CBS doesn't. I would love to watch NCIS in CC, but no.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread