+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 2013 Emmy Awards - CBS

Re: 2013 Emmy Awards - CBS

I have to add The Blacklist and Hostages to the list. I wont give our cable company anymore money than I have to
    Debb70 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

With all due respect, maybe ONE of the shows MissS listed - I'd say early seasons of The Good Wife - even deserve to be mentioned with the Best Drama noms this season. Not that I don't watch some of those shows listed, but they're not of the same caliber as shows like Breaking Bad, Mad Men or any of the other nominated shows. IIRC, Miss S, you don't have cable. Have you watched any of the shows that were nominated? I'm not trying to poke at you or give you a hard time, but those cable shows are in a complete other category from OUAT or Castle....or Revenge or the other shows you mentioned.

It's not just about nudity or profanity. Cable show runners are often given more creative freedom to do what they want. They don't have to bow to the network execs as much OR worry about advertisers. Look at what happened with David Fincher (and the other exec producers) and House of Cards. Netflix basically gave him carte blanche to do whatever he wanted, so he did and he put out a terrific and critically acclaimed show.

Cable shows are allowed to tell more complex, thoughtful, intelligent stories without worrying about being canceled. They don't have to pander to viewers to keep the ratings up.

There are plenty of shows (music, books, etc.) that people like, but it doesn't mean that they're the best. Just look at the Billboard charts. I mean, I love shows like Hart of Dixie and Castle, but I don't expect them to ever win any critics awards.

Looking at the list of nominated dramas this season, I can think of at least 4 or 5 shows (The Americans, Orphan Black, Hell on Wheels, Sons of Anarchy, Longmire, The Walking Dead...I could go on) that could have been on that list, but weren't and not one of them wasn't on cable.

This isn't about comedies, BTW. Very few comedies are on cable.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I think with regards to the question of quality on broadcast vs cable, Chris brought up a great point about the freedom of a season's length in cable. Network tv is making some limited adjustments now with a shows season but fr the most part everything has to start the end of September and go until MY. If it doesn't people get confused and think things have been cancelled. Cable doesn't have those confines. The network and showrunner can decide how many episodes a season will be. They can take breaks, make an episode an hour and fifteen minutes long, or take a lot of other flexibilities. And, the rating that a show has to achieve to be a hit on cable is still a lot lower than what it takes to succeed on broadcast networks. A show like MadMen is considered to be a huge hit. But the audience is still a lot lower than a show like The Voice or Greys Anatomy.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    With all due respect, maybe ONE of the shows MissS listed - I'd say early seasons of The Good Wife - even deserve to be mentioned with the Best Drama noms this season. Not that I don't watch some of those shows listed, but they're not of the same caliber as shows like Breaking Bad, Mad Men or any of the other nominated shows. IIRC, Miss S, you don't have cable. Have you watched any of the shows that were nominated? I'm not trying to poke at you or give you a hard time, but those cable shows are in a complete other category from OUAT or Castle....or Revenge or the other shows you mentioned.
    I have watched very minimal at other people's houses. So you're right, my knowledge of them is severely limited.
    I've watched a little over half of one episode of Game of Thrones - Hated it! That's why I didn't watch the whole thing.
    I've watched Mad Men 2 times - Loved it & wish I could watch it at home.
    I've watched Duck Dynasty quite a number of times - Loved it enough that a friend tapes some of them for me.
    I also watched Dexter for the short time it was on Network TV - Liked it too.
    I've seen one or two others, but wasn't impressed at all. The language alone put me off. But maybe they're like any show, it may take a few episodes to catch.

As for OUAT, the guy who plays Gold/Rumplestiltskin does deserve an acting nomination. And Castle: Ryan & Esposito deserve supporting nominations.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I have watched very minimal at other people's houses. So you're right, my knowledge of them is severely limited.
    I've watched a little over half of one episode of Game of Thrones - Hated it! That's why I didn't watch the whole thing.
    I've watched Mad Men 2 times - Loved it & wish I could watch it at home.
    I've watched Duck Dynasty quite a number of times - Loved it enough that a friend tapes some of them for me.
    I also watched Dexter for the short time it was on Network TV - Liked it too.
    I've seen one or two others, but wasn't impressed at all. The language alone put me off. But maybe they're like any show, it may take a few episodes to catch.

As for OUAT, the guy who plays Gold/Rumplestiltskin does deserve an acting nomination. And Castle: Ryan & Esposito deserve supporting nominations.
    I watch those shows and like the actors, but they're just not on the level of the actors who get nominations. Castle is a fluffy, fun show and those guys do a great job at sort of comic relief, but the performances aren't awards-worthy. Robert Carlysle is great as Gold, but OUAT has really gone downhill since season 1 and, even though he's good in the role, actors on so-so shows don't get nominations. The work Mandy Patinkin, Jesse Paul, Peter Dinklage and the others in the Best Supporting category did this season is far beyond the the three actors you mentioned. Those series just aren't capable of giving actors the kind of material that merits awards.

Not sure why Duck Dynasty is on your list

Like Chris pointed out, cable shows get a shorter run and have larger budgets per episode. Because those shows are by and large better written, they're attracting better and better actors who have rarely, if ever, done television.

You're definitely right that watching one episode of a show doesn't give you an accurate take on a show. For years I avoided Breaking Bad because I didn't like the first episode and, it has to be said, I'm not a Bryan Cranston fan. I finally sat down and watched a few more episodes and got hooked. Is it my favorite show? No. But I still love it and acknowledge that it's one of the best shows on TV.

Language and nudity don't bother me. If the story is compelling and the acting and writing are there, I'll watch anything.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

Looking at the list of nominated dramas this season, I can think of at least 4 or 5 shows (The Americans, Orphan Black, Hell on Wheels, Sons of Anarchy, Longmire, The Walking Dead...I could go on) that could have been on that list, but weren't and not one of them wasn't on cable.
    I'm continuously pissed that Sons of Anarchy never gets nominated.
    AJane and Critical like this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    I'm continuously pissed that Sons of Anarchy never gets nominated.
    Well, not surprisingly, I totally agree with you. Katey Sagal did win a much-deserved Golden Globe for her season two performance. But if Kurt Sutter doesn't deserve some kind of recognition for this show, I don't know who does. And Walking Dead...heelllloooo, how about a little something for writing at least (I don't think the Emmys do screenplay adaptations?) or for SFX, even??

Another one of my all-time favourites, OZ, never seemed to get any awards or even noms. Dexter and Six Feet Under got a tiny bit of Emmy recognition. At least the Sopranos consistently got attention. And I was glad Jeff Daniels got a win for The Newsroom (we have the 2nd season DVR'd, just have to get to it).

I have the first 2 seasons of DVDs for Breaking Bad waiting as well. I hope to get to Game of Thrones and Mad Men eventually. The only thing left I watch on network TV, besides reality shows, is Law & Order SVU - can't imagine ever getting tired of that one. I do enjoy Modern Family and Mike & Molly on occasion, but neither is can't-miss TV for me. I wish network TV was better. I tried watching Sleepy Hollow and thought it was awful. (I like supernatural stuff but I want X-Files quality.)
    Critical and bee stung lips like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Well, not surprisingly, I totally agree with you. Katey Sagal did win a much-deserved Golden Globe for her season two performance. But if Kurt Sutter doesn't deserve some kind of recognition for this show, I don't know who does. And Walking Dead...heelllloooo, how about a little something for writing at least (I don't think the Emmys do screenplay adaptations?) or for SFX, even??

Another one of my all-time favourites, OZ, never seemed to get any awards or even noms. Dexter and Six Feet Under got a tiny bit of Emmy recognition. At least the Sopranos consistently got attention. And I was glad Jeff Daniels got a win for The Newsroom (we have the 2nd season DVR'd, just have to get to it).

I have the first 2 seasons of DVDs for Breaking Bad waiting as well. I hope to get to Game of Thrones and Mad Men eventually. The only thing left I watch on network TV, besides reality shows, is Law & Order SVU - can't imagine ever getting tired of that one. I do enjoy Modern Family and Mike & Molly on occasion, but neither is can't-miss TV for me. I wish network TV was better. I tried watching Sleepy Hollow and thought it was awful. (I like supernatural stuff but I want X-Files quality.)
    I've got different requirements for TV shows. I watch stuff like Sleepy Hollow and enjoy it because I'm not expecting much. I ONLY want to be entertained by shows like that. Really though, I'd prefer SOA and many of the other cable dramas we've mentioned.

I'm still annoyed that The Wire never got an awards show love. That was, IMO, one of the best shows ever on TV. I think the Emmy voters skew older and shows with sex and violence and *gasp* criminals make them nervous. They just don't get it.
    bee stung lips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I have to add The Blacklist and Hostages to the list. I wont give our cable company anymore money than I have to
    I haven't watched Blacklist yet, but I did see Hostages. I really liked it, but don't know if it's going to be as well done as say....Homeland or The Americans. It has potential though.

I think Scandal and Nashville are well done network shows, but they didn't win anything that I am aware of.
    bee stung lips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I haven't watched Blacklist yet, but I did see Hostages. I really liked it, but don't know if it's going to be as well done as say....Homeland or The Americans. It has potential though.

I think Scandal and Nashville are well done network shows, but they didn't win anything that I am aware of.
    The Blacklist blew me away. I hope you catch it Debb
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread