+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 2013 Emmy Awards - CBS

Re: 2013 Emmy Awards - CBS

I can't stand that very beautiful lady on Modern Family. She annoys me to the point I can't watch that show because of her. Odd, I know.
    That's Sofia Vergara, I love this show, so I have to put up with her. I think her accent is stronger now than when she started the show- she sure has a great body though
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I LOVE Sofia on Modern Family. She's probably my favorite character. I can't imagine the show without her.

Someone mentioned how few awards went to network TV. It's because, for the most part, the regular networks are churning out a bunch of crap. I can count on one hand the quality TV shows that aren't on cable (either basic or pay cable). The network shows are too beholden to advertisers and censors. Cable TV allows showrunners more freedom, which means better quality. I watch shows on network TV, but aside from The Good Wife and Scandal, I can't think of any that I think of as REAL quality TV.
    Shoepie likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I echo what Crit said about there generally tending to be a notable difference between the level of cable and network shows. Cable shows also almost always have far fewer episodes per season than network shows, so more attention tends to go into the writing and production values of each of those cable episodes than the networks have time for since they are often churning out a couple of dozen episodes per season of a show versus around a dozen for many of the cable shows. Then again, the networks have much higher budgets but, despite that, they tend to be regarded as more rote and less creative and risk taking which circles back to the factors Crit already mentioned.

And it's a bummer for viewers -- especially if you don't have cable -- and a catch-22 for actors and writers who want the creativity that cable affords but the big budgeted shows are still on network television. Half jokingly, the common solution tends to be to try and work with JJ Abrams, I think, because he is in with the networks and often does more creative shows than the average network show.

About award shows generally, I actually kind of like it when life is not always about awards, but is sometimes more about commiserating your losses with humor and copious amounts of alcohol :

Even in a night of surprises, it was no shock that Amy Poehler and Jon Hamm didn't take home trophies at the Emmys last night. They lose so often (a collective 16 times) they're throwing a big bash for the "it's an honor to be nominated crowd." Winners even have to leave their statues outside.

"Poehler and I are friends from a long time ago and every year when we would lose the Emmy we would kind of wink at each other and call each other loser for the rest of the night," Hamm told E! News before the party. They came up with the idea for the party last year when they were hanging out in Kristin Wiig's hotel suite with a bunch of other also-rans. "We called it the Losers Lounge because nobody that was there won and it kind of stuck. We were like, ‘That was a really fun party. We should do that again, but we should do it bigger and better and invite our friends who aren't going to win either and we'll have a good time with it."
    Jon Hamm and Amy Poehler Threw a Party for Emmy Losers Because They Are Awesome - Brian Moylan - The Atlantic Wire
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Sadly, I think the ship has sailed for Jon Hamm at the Emmys. Unless the final season of MM - the JH's material - is just BEYOND fantastic, I don't think he'll be winning an Emmy. That's not to say that I don't love MM and think he's great in it, it's just that usually an actor wins early on in a show's run. If the awards don't come at the beginning, they probably won't come later in the show's life.

Is it just me or does Ellen Burstyn just get more beautiful as she ages? She's like Judi Dench or something. It gives me hope!

Loved that saucy acceptance speech from Michael Douglas. He totally deserved that Emmy.

ETA:

re: the Cory Monteith tribute/Jack Klugman's son drama.....

I saw a great quote from Peter MacNicol who said: "If we are going to get into a merit system based on longevity then we are in trouble....The memoriam is not only to honor those who completed a full marathon."
    Last edited by Critical; 09-24-2013 at 06:05 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Sopfia Vergara...UGH! Enough said.

And if there was one maybe I missed since I watched only bits and pieces of the show, but was there no tribute for the late, great TV legend, Larry Hagman??!!

Unforgivable, as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Sopfia Vergara...UGH! Enough said.

And if there was one maybe I missed since I watched only bits and pieces of the show, but was there no tribute for the late, great TV legend, Larry Hagman??!!

Unforgivable, as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    I loved her at one time, talk about overdoing .She was twerking at the emmy party
    elleprn likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

We have cable but not Showtime or HBO so we don't see so many of the nominated programs. Sure sounds like we're missing some good tv. (Not enough to pay more $$$ for our already overly inflated cable bill!!)

I thought this Emmy show was the worst I've seen in years. It was boring and I found myself dozing off. As much as I like NPH, I think he needs to step away from hosting award shows for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    We have cable but not Showtime or HBO so we don't see so many of the nominated programs. Sure sounds like we're missing some good tv. (Not enough to pay more $$$ for our already overly inflated cable bill!!)

I thought this Emmy show was the worst I've seen in years. It was boring and I found myself dozing off. As much as I like NPH, I think he needs to step away from hosting award shows for a while.
    I agree - NPH dragged the show a little imho . He said he didn't want to dance at all in an interview- time for a break
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Someone mentioned how few awards went to network TV. It's because, for the most part, the regular networks are churning out a bunch of crap. I can count on one hand the quality TV shows that aren't on cable (either basic or pay cable). The network shows are too beholden to advertisers and censors. Cable TV allows showrunners more freedom, which means better quality. I watch shows on network TV, but aside from The Good Wife and Scandal, I can't think of any that I think of as REAL quality TV.
    I don't agree about the lack of quality on Network TV. There are quite a number of what I would consider quality shows with quality writing, originality & quality acting, that just aren't given their due at Emmy time.
    The Good Wife is an excellent example.
    Person of Interest is another.
    Once Upon a Time.
    Castle
    Revenge
    Hawaii Five-O (Beestung lips would agree with me on this one. )
    I don't watch it, but I know a lot of people who love Grey's Anatomy, even after all these years.
    I'm not a big Sitcom person, so I don't have anything there.

Plus, I have to throw in a past favorite: I think Lost was the best series that's been on TV in a long time as far as quality, & it got very little Emmy appreciation. In my opinion, it should have been loaded with at least nominations every year. Some of the best characters & acting ever.

As far as the lack of censors & the freedom on Cable or other Direct TV, I don't necessarily think that brings on quality. Often it brings a lot of unnecessary objectionable stuff & stuff thrown in for shock value, too. The old "sex & violence" thing. Especially gruesome violence & violence against women. That & the glorification of drugs & the drug culture. (I know, I'm an old fuddy-duddy)
    This is a large part of why I don't have Pay TV.

I do agree, however, that the advertisers have too much control over Network TV.
    ArchieComic Fan likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I would add Big Bang Theory to Miss Scarlet's list of quality network shows, pretty much all of which I agree with. For me, it's the funniest show on tv by wide margin.

Many of the cable shows are also among my favorites, but I won't pay extra for the premium channels which I feel should be included in the inflated price structure of the tv providers.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread