+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 2013 Emmy Awards - CBS

FORT Fogey

Re: 2013 Emmy Awards - CBS

I found it odd to include JFK and the Beatles. ???? Why?

I loved Kevin Spacey flicking that piece of paper at the camera. It got a huge laugh, probably to the confusion of those presenting on stage.
    Yeah, maude, it was odd. Not depressing but just not great.

I thought the mid show dance number with Neil was lame but loved the choregraphers dance number.

A montage of those who died is good, I like to see that but the individual tributes, not so much.

Since I primarily watch reality TV I don't know many of the shows. I always root for Top Chef. I think they did win one year.
    maude~flanders likes this.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

I am so over these pointless, silly award shows with the same winners every year. There's no point in even watching. Same-old, same-old. :eyeroll
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I think some of the memorial tributes were touching and appropriate ... but I thought the violin music background was maudlin. Maybe a few words about each with a website where we could watch "more" would be better. Omitting Jack Klugman was wrong ... but maybe thay thought the viewing audience was too young to be familiar with his work?

I understood the references to Kennedy, King etc. with the Beatles ... however that performance of Yesterday may have been the worst performance I have heard from Carrie Underwood ... maybe another song ?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I recorded to watch later. I had my eyes full with the finale for Dexter, Donovan and the next to last episode of Breaking Bad. Too much entertainment for one night, although, I did catch a few moments here and there. lol

I was happpy that The Voice won. Does that mean the Amazing Race finally lost?

I was happy that Anna Gunn won for best supporting actress in a drama and Breaking Bad for best drama. I think Bryan Cranston deserved it for best actor lead in a drama. Jeff Bridges is okay, but his character on that Newsroom show annoys me. I don't get him winning.

I heard Bryan congratulating Claire Daynes. Oh my. I guess that means that the actress who plays Norman Bates mother on Bates' Hotel didn't win for lead actress in a drama. I really hate that. She earned that Emmy last season. So unfair, IMO.

I was also happy that Michael Douglas won for best actor in movie or miniseries. He was excellent in that role, although, I didn't find the work that great and I was not impressed with Matt Damon's performance, though, I loved Michael's acceptance speech where he kids with Damon. Too funny.

Have you noticed how few wins the major networks get? Just a few in situation comedies and one for Derek right?
    Last edited by Debb70; 09-23-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    I am so over these pointless, silly award shows with the same winners every year. There's no point in even watching. Same-old, same-old. :eyeroll
    I agree. Maybe it's because I don't have Pay TV, but I don't know anything about a whole lot of these shows. Even those nominated from the networks I get, I don't watch.
    I've seen The Voice 2 times - Bored senseless! I thought it was stupid.
    I've seen The Big Bang Theory maybe 2 or 3 - Didn't interest me in the least & didn't even laugh.
    Same with a lot of others. The shows I watch are rarely nominated & even more rarely win anything. I'm always amazed as to why.
    As a rule I just don't like those overly violent or dark shows, or those that are no more than vehicles for showing off young pretty vapid emptyheaded bodies, who can't act. Or shows about everybody having trashy affairs with people they have no business sleeping with.
    I like good writing, good acting, good characters, good stories, without all the junk thrown in to try to draw in the 18-22's.

I didn't watch all of the show. I got bored, not knowing who these people or shows were.
    Although Rob Reiner doing the Memorial Tribute for Jean Stapleton brought me to tears. And I'm not usually a crier.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

Carrie Preston, go the emmy for guest actress in a drama (The Goodwife) and she is excellent. I was sort of pulling for Margo Martindale in the Americans ... put I thought Carrie was terrific too!

I was disappointed at no wins for Downton Abbey, The Americans and Scandal.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Jeff Daniels is The Newsroom star. Jeff Bridges is the Big Lebowski.

I didn't bother with the show b/c my favourites weren't nominated, but I did have it on for a few minutes before Dexter and caught Edie Falco's tribute to James Gandolfini.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Jeff Daniels is The Newsroom star. Jeff Bridges is the Big Lebowski.

I didn't bother with the show b/c my favourites weren't nominated, but I did have it on for a few minutes before Dexter and caught Edie Falco's tribute to James Gandolfini.
    Edie Falco's tribute to James was quite touching. I teared up a bit.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Edie Falco's tribute to James was quite touching. I teared up a bit.
    I did as well! she was speaking from her heart, she was also tearing up a little
    bee stung lips likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I'll look forward to catching those tributes when I watch the entire show.

I was hoping The Americans would take something. They are a great show, IMO. I hope they realize that with their nomination.

Was Mad Men shut out too? I don't mind that. IMO, they have gone down hill and don't deserve it anymore. I was pulling for Elisabeth Moss in Top of the Lake. She was excellent in that mini series.

If I didn't watch Showtime, HBO, FX, AMC, Sundance, etc. I wouldn't have much interest in the awards either, because there aren't too many nominations that are on the main networks.

I don't know much about the situation comedy shows. I may try them once, but they have never struck me as funny enough to watch. I haven't cared for a main network comedy since Frasier. I liked Frasier, Cheers, Family Ties and those kind of shows many years ago. I heard yesterday that Frasier had more Emmys than any other show.

I can't stand that very beautiful lady on Modern Family. She annoys me to the point I can't watch that show because of her. Odd, I know.

My favorite comedians are Nurse Jackie, (shout out to Zoey character for her win last nigh), The Big C (now ended) and VEEP.

+ Reply to Thread