+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By waywyrd
  • 1 Post By Debb70
  • 1 Post By razorbacker

Thread: Low Winter Sun (AMC)

Low Winter Sun (AMC)

Low Winter Sun - About – AMC
    The AMC Original Series Low Winter Sun is a contemporary story of murder, deception, revenge and corruption in a world where the line between cops and criminals is blurred. Low Winter Sun begins with the murder of a cop by a fellow Detroit detective. Seemingly the perfect crime, in reality the murder activates forces that will forever alter the detective’s life, and pull him into the heart of the Detroit underworld. Based on the award-winning 2006 British miniseries of the same name, Low Winter Sun stars Mark Strong (Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Zero Dark Thirty) and co-stars Lennie James (The Walking Dead, Jericho, Snatch). Chris Mundy (Criminal Minds, Cold Case) serves as writer, executive producer and showrunner. Season one consists of ten, one-hour episodes.

Low Winter Sun follows Breaking Bad on Sunday nights beginning Sun., Aug. 11.
    Anybody catch this one last night? The first episode hooked me pretty good. Excellent cast, and while the story isn't a new one (dirty cops), it's intriguing enough.
    Punkin likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Re: Low Winter Sun (AMC)

Yeah, I watched it. I liked parts of it, but some annoyed me.

I was not interested in the drug dealers. The cops' story was good. I liked that. I just don't enjoy watching the other characters. Yes, they are all killers, but the low lifers annoy me. I guess I will record so I can ff through those scenes.

I don't know their names off hand yet, but the white detective seems to be the one who has a conscience. However, he has the biggest mouth. If you decide to murder someone, you need to be able to get your mouth under control. He's a hot head and has already unecessarily tipped off the female detective that something is wrong. The black detective is cool and calm. He needs to get rid of the white detective before he gets both of them arrested for that guy's murder.

Who put that chopped up body in the trunk of the dead detective's car? Did the black detective know it was there?

I have a question. When the guys were in the restaurant after closing, the black detective told the drunk one that he would take him home and they would see to it that his car made it there. So does that mean that one of them supposedly drove his car to his house? So that would mean that he was super drunk, but he then got sober enough to leave his house on his car to kill himself, after chopping up a body. Kind of crazy. I'll keep watching, but it really may be too violent for my taste. It's already more violent than Dexter or Breaking Bad.

Also, they are police officers but they don't think too much. The guy flushing that necklace down the toilet was a bad move. If the plumbing gets blocked and they have to go in, that necklace could be discovered. Who else would have flushed it? It links him to something criminal, right?

Then there is the drowing of that detective. In the autopsy, they will likely be able to tell that the water in his lungs is from a fish tank. They are showing me that they don't know as much as evidence and forensics as they think they do.
    Last edited by Debb70; 08-12-2013 at 11:08 AM.
    Punkin likes this.

Deb said, "Then there is the drowning of that detective. In the autopsy, they will likely be able to tell that the water in his lungs is from a fish tank. They are showing me that they don't know as much as evidence and forensics as they think they do."

Ha! Just what DH and caught! Don't these guys watch CSI? Autopsy would show there are no lake amoebae in the water in his lungs. We would make better murderers than those cops! Sheesh!

Happy, though, to have a new cable show to try out.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Deb said, "Then there is the drowning of that detective. In the autopsy, they will likely be able to tell that the water in his lungs is from a fish tank. They are showing me that they don't know as much as evidence and forensics as they think they do."

Ha! Just what DH and caught! Don't these guys watch CSI? Autopsy would show there are no lake amoebae in the water in his lungs. We would make better murderers than those cops! Sheesh!

Happy, though, to have a new cable show to try out.
    Right! And it's not just CSI. I watch the real murder investigations like Cold Case Mysteries, 48 Hours, etc. You have to get up pretty early in the morning to get away with murder now days. lol Science can catch up with you. (Plus, it would be funny if in the autopsy they discovered a goldfish, fish food particles and colored gravel for aquariums in his belly or lungs. That would lead them straight back to that restaurant with the last two people to see him alive. Let me write this show. lol

I don't think it's gotten good responses. Too bad for AMC.

Have you heard that Gilligan is planning a spin off from Breaking Bad with Saul as the lead character? !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Yeah, I watched it. I liked parts of it, but some annoyed me.

I was not interested in the drug dealers. The cops' story was good. I liked that. I just don't enjoy watching the other characters. Yes, they are all killers, but the low lifers annoy me. I guess I will record so I can ff through those scenes.

I don't know their names off hand yet, but the white detective seems to be the one who has a conscience. However, he has the biggest mouth. If you decide to murder someone, you need to be able to get your mouth under control. He's a hot head and has already unecessarily tipped off the female detective that something is wrong. The black detective is cool and calm. He needs to get rid of the white detective before he gets both of them arrested for that guy's murder.

Who put that chopped up body in the trunk of the dead detective's car? Did the black detective know it was there?

I have a question. When the guys were in the restaurant after closing, the black detective told the drunk one that he would take him home and they would see to it that his car made it there. So does that mean that one of them supposedly drove his car to his house? So that would mean that he was super drunk, but he then got sober enough to leave his house on his car to kill himself, after chopping up a body. Kind of crazy. I'll keep watching, but it really may be too violent for my taste. It's already more violent than Dexter or Breaking Bad.

Also, they are police officers but they don't think too much. The guy flushing that necklace down the toilet was a bad move. If the plumbing gets blocked and they have to go in, that necklace could be discovered. Who else would have flushed it? It links him to something criminal, right?

Then there is the drowing of that detective. In the autopsy, they will likely be able to tell that the water in his lungs is from a fish tank. They are showing me that they don't know as much as evidence and forensics as they think they do.
    It was difficult to detect, but when they were deciding to drown the guy in the sink, the white guy made sure the black guy had the sink filled with salt water so what you are mentioning would not be an issue. Perhaps, he does no a bit more about forensic evidence than you give him credit for.
    inthegarden likes this.

I thought it was interesting enough to watch a second time.

FORT Newbie

Hi! I'm confused by some of the comments above...I saw a whole different story... here is what I think.

1) Regarding the "fish tank" vs. sink. The tall cop made a point to not drown the man in the lobster tank because THAT water WOULD be salt water. The man would supposedly have drowned in the lake (this is Detroit) which is NOT salt water so that is why they drowned him in the kitchen sink which would NOT be salt water. They did not want to drown him in salt water that is why they did not use the lobster tank and they would not have added salt to the tap water in the sink. So, they were thinking forensically. He was drowned in clean NON SALT tap water in the sink (lake water not salted).... Ocean/sea water is salted... lake water is not.

2) Regarding the dead guys car. They showed us during the security tape viewing of his home the ol "switcheroo"... the tall guy drove one of their cars alone to the dead guys house with the "story that he drove the drunk guy home". He then put on a coat and hat to shield his features from the security camera and "staggered" into the house to make it look like the dead guy walked into his house (alive) with the assumption that the tall cop was still in the car waiting for his partner (but he was really in the house). Then the second policeman drove the "dead guys" car to his house (per his story that they drove the drunk guys car home for him) and then jumped out and hopped into the first car which then drove away. Story: both cops drove off. Reality: first cop was the "fake drunk guy" in the house... the second cop drove the first car away thus making it look like both cops left the scene. A couple hours later the "drunk guy" but in reality tall cop leaves the dead guys house and gets into the dead guys car and drives off. All of this is for security camera evidence. It makes it look as if there is proof that two cops left in the first car and one drunk guy left in his own car a couple hours later verifying that he was alive when they left him. In reality, one cop drove the first car away.... second cop drove the second car away.

Hope this helps. What I don't understand is why they killed him in the first place. Something about a girl being mutilated and thinking HE did it? Very sketchy. I hope that gets explained better soon. Yes, I agree with above couldn't care less about the non police criminial story line...it shows the dead cop was crooked but what else do we care about them?... my initial prediction? I think the shorter killer cop is going to be found to have some sort of underlying guilt of a whole different unseen nature... whether HE be the one who killed the girl or some other crooked behavior. I say this because 1) he was the dead crooked cop's PARTNER 2) at the very beginning of the movie HE is the one who is telling the taller cop that the drunk cop is the one who killed somebody and cut her up and was really trying to sell it and get him in on killing him 3) back at the office someone noticed that the killed cops computer had been totally "wiped" clean internally... who would have access? 4) the shorter cop was the one when they were staging the suicide who kept asking the taller cop how to make it look (forensically) like a suicide and even said "come on you are the one who is good at this" so I think that is partly why he recruited him to help him kill his partner. Just a thought... he seems very quick when interrogated to throw new twists to their story, etc. so I just feel he is running his own agenda that the taller cop is not aware of. I think the taller cop is going to get burned or find out some truth and realize that he killed the wrong guy. will see!

Thanks for explaining the drive and water issue. That makes sense. I heard the part about the tank water, but not to beat the matter to death, but forensics could tell the difference in tap water and lake water, even if it wasn't salt. So, I don't give them credit for really thinking it through.

Frank, the white detective is so careless with his emotions and mouth that all the planning in the world may not protect him.

I'll give it another episode and decide if I'm going to hang in there. AMC is really promoting it, but I think they can do much better.

FORT Newbie

Yes...the second episode may make it or break it for me. I'm on the fence as well...there are SO MANY shows returning or new ones starting that I only have so much time to allot to the television. It is one that if I DIDN'T see the next episode I would probably be ok and that's not a good sign! (ps. good point about the lake vs tap water...you are right)

Probably not my cup of tea. I seem to find that AMC goes for the grittier, hard-hitting shows and USA chooses ones that combine action/adventure with a little more light-heartedness. There are shows I like and dislike on both networks, but I prefer more of USA's programs.

More importantly, both networks deserve praise for giving us good, scripted tv to watch.

+ Reply to Thread