+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Orange Is the New Black on Netflix

Orange Is the New Black on Netflix

Another Netflix original series started yesterday. Once again, it has 13 episodes in Season 1; all are available for streaming. It is created by the same one who did Weeds.

I watched the first episode last night and found it very enjoyable, which surprised me a little. The premise is that an upper class Brooklyn socialite turns herself in for an illegal act she did ten years earlier and has to spend 15 months in a federal prison. It seems to combine grittiness with quirkiness, humor with darkness, and I'm going to continue watching.

I will state for those who may find it uncomfortable that there are some graphic sex scenes. I thought some of them were not really necessary, but I guess they fit the concept and I was fine with it. I totally did not recognize Kate Mulgrew until I looked at the credits. Link is below for anyone who wants to know more.

Watch Orange Is the New Black Online | Netflix
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Re: Orange Is the New Black on Netflix

I heard the woman's story on a Moth podcast and it was really compelling - once I finish Arrested Development I'm going to start this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Love this show! I just finished episode 4. I can't wait to see more.

I like learning more about some of the characters. Some of their back stories are really interesting.
    beerbelly likes this.

Squee! This is now my new obsession. How wonderful is Kate Mulgrew? Genius performance.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    Squee! This is now my new obsession. How wonderful is Kate Mulgrew? Genius performance.
    Yes! Love her in this role. I want to see more of her. I felt so sad for her when she saw those ladies walking without her.
    beerbelly likes this.

Me too! In fact there are so many great actresses in this show. I thought the woman who plays the hairdresser/transvestite was so powerful.

I love the joke 'not an eggplant but a retard' keeps threading through....
    - Virginia Woolf

I can't recall Kate Mulgrew ever playing a role like this before. I remember when she and Marg Helgenberger were both ingenues on Ryan's Hope (Mary and Siobhan Ryan respectively). They were both very good then and clearly have had successful long-term acting careers. Kate is shining in this role.
    beerbelly likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I can't recall Kate Mulgrew ever playing a role like this before. I remember when she and Marg Helgenberger were both ingenues on Ryan's Hope (Mary and Siobhan Ryan respectively). They were both very good then and clearly have had successful long-term acting careers. Kate is shining in this role.
    Interesting, all these years I've kinda wondered where I "knew" Marg from... and if she played Siobhan Ryan that's probably where. And Kate Mulgrew will FOREVER be Mary Ryan in my eyes no matter what else she does I think RH was my very first soap!

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    Interesting, all these years I've kinda wondered where I "knew" Marg from... and if she played Siobhan Ryan that's probably where. And Kate Mulgrew will FOREVER be Mary Ryan in my eyes no matter what else she does I think RH was my very first soap!
    Same here, I loved RH , loved it
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Big Brother Mogul TheIrishEyes's Avatar

watched the series over the last few days. Absolutely loved it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast