+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Orange Is the New Black on Netflix

Re: Orange Is the New Black on Netflix

Dasha Polanco's the only actor I wouldn't miss. Compared to the others, she's kind of a Lifetime Movie-y performer. In other words, she fails the Julie Taylor Test.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Well, I said I wasn't going to do it all at once....and just like the first season I couldn't help it and devoured it in one weekend. What a great show! I agree with you all about Samira...Poussey's story was just so touching and Samira's portrayal so compelling. I found myself wanting to hug her several times....as well as Crazy Eyes. Excuse me, Suzanne.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    And I was so glad Nikki didn't give in to the heroin.... I have my doubts as to whether she'll make it through season 3 though. Loved the ending for Rosas. I'm glad she got to go out in a police chase - just as she always imagined, instead of quietly fading into nothingness. Excellent season, excellent baddie in Vee...and a fitting demise to her. She was awfully rude : lol
    Bring on season 3!!!! ETA: Crap! I'm sorry....didn' t realize I wasn' supposed to discuss specifics!
    Last edited by Katydyd; 06-15-2014 at 09:54 PM.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

I guess I'm much more bothered by violence on TV than by sex.

I loved young Miss Rosa and totally saw her in older Miss Rosa. I thought it was great casting.

Sorry, Candor. I love Dasha. Plus, that Julie Taylor test is total bunk in my book because they bash Emilia Clarke. Putting her in the same category as the other actresses mentioned is idiotic.
    Dinahann likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

A decent season finale. Especially the last 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Sorry, Candor. I love Dasha. Plus, that Julie Taylor test is total bunk in my book because they bash Emilia Clarke. Putting her in the same category as the other actresses mentioned is idiotic.
    Sorry for quoting myself here. Candor, I was referring to them including Emilia on that list, not you talking about Dasha. Just wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't slamming you.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I guess I'm much more bothered by violence on TV than by sex.

I loved young Miss Rosa and totally saw her in older Miss Rosa. I thought it was great casting.

Agreed, agreed and (maybe) agreed.

I've always wondered why viewers - and I'm not talking about any of the posters here -give a pass to violence but not sex. One is about hate (or desperation, or being out of control) and the other about love, or at least about feeling alive. Why not show life as it is? These women are in prison and away from men, who in most cases are at least partially to blame for their imprisonment. The women form relationships and sex can be a great source of comfort, especially when you have nothing else. I guess I'm in the minority, because the portrayal and frequency of sex didn't bother me.

Rosa's transformation was so complete from her younger, pre-cancer days that I didn't recognize her at first. I was intrigued by her back story... it was so unexpected. In the end, she had nothing left to lose; I would root for her but there's no point. She's gone, either way.

Daya is not one of my favorite characters. I feel empathy for her but get irritated because she makes all her decisions based on feelings instead of thinking things through. I think Dasha does a credible job but she doesn't strike me as particularly outstanding in the role. I have read that she will have a larger role next season, though, so I'm sure she'll have plenty of opportunity to shine, given that she's pregnant and imprisoned.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

I'm looking for a new summer show since we finished Breaking Bad and was wondering if you guys think this is worth a shot. I've heard mixed reviews. Just want to get my Fort Family's opinions
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie View Post
    I'm looking for a new summer show since we finished Breaking Bad and was wondering if you guys think this is worth a shot. I've heard mixed reviews. Just want to get my Fort Family's opinions
    I would try it. You can see if its your cuppa tea or not.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Sorry for quoting myself here. Candor, I was referring to them including Emilia on that list, not you talking about Dasha. Just wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't slamming you.
    No, I totally got that. The writer got pounced on for including Emilia Clarke, but I think her point remains. Certain actors just can't bring it. Julie Taylor (Aimee Teegarden) is an excellent example of that. "Friday Night Lights" could be achingly brilliant with some of the best acting anywhere, then you've got Teegarden, who must have gone to the Aaron Spelling School of Acting, stinking up the joint with her soap opera affectations and world-weary sighs. Dasha's not awful by any means but she doesn't rise to the level of the others.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

While I agree that Dascha Polanco's portrayal of Diaz is not on par with the rest of the cast I take great umbrage with the Emilia Clarke reference in the Julie Taylor test. Emilia Clarke's embodiment of Dany is brilliant. That, coming from someone who has never read the books, and isn't subconsciously 'filling in the blanks'. However, Taylor's point that 'if we don't glimpse the "inner life of the character" the actor is not doing their job' is a valid one. I sense no inner turmoil in Diaz where the opposite can be said of Matt McGorry's Bennett. As Diaz constantly changes the playbook for Bennett the angst he experiences is fairly palpable.
    candor likes this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

+ Reply to Thread