+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: The Bridge (FX)

The Bridge (FX)

Anybody catch this last night? I thought it was great! An El Paso woman detective has to work with a Juarez (very cute and charismatic) detective to solve murders that cross the border. Looks to be one of the better new series for the summer. Try to catch it online from FX or On Demand if you missed it.

What is behind that door??????????

Re: The Bridge (FX)

I love Diane Kruger and Ted Levine, but I couldn't enjoy the show. I'm not interested in seeing yet more name calling between the Americans and the Mexicans, nor did I find the cut in half bodies entertaining. I might give it one more look, but I doubt I'll be watching regularly.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I really enjoyed this show. Mexican border towns can be pretty seedy in some areas and I thought it was shown very realistically. Love when Marco Ruiz (the Ciudad Juarez homicide detective) started speaking Spanish to the woman, whose last name was obviously Hispanic, in the El Paso police department and she said, " I don't speak Spanish.". I went to high school in Texas and there were many people like her, second generation who were not allowed to speak Spanish in the schools even if they wanted to or refused to learn Spanish so they could blend in with their peers. I know the Mexican culture well and hope that they show that not all Mexicans are like what was shown here. Of course, since it's a border story, this may not happen.
    Punkin likes this.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

The plot is interesting enough, and I do like Ted Levine (it's embarrassing how many seasons of Monk I watched until I connected up Silence of the Lambs ) but Sonya North just seems like a blonde version of Sarah Linden. I also have misgivings about a guy who lives in a trailer in the middle of BFE being able to shut down the power grid on the US/Mexico border. OTOH, Wednesdays are absent of anything entertaining, so I'll probably suspend disbelief and give it another shot.

I like the show. This type of "gritty" drams is what FX does better than any other network going all the way back to The Shield.
    Coco46 likes this.

Oh darn. I meant to record this to take a look at it.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Anybody catch this last night? I thought it was great! An El Paso woman detective has to work with a Juarez (very cute and charismatic) detective to solve murders that cross the border. Looks to be one of the better new series for the summer. Try to catch it online from FX or On Demand if you missed it.

What is behind that door??????????
    I believe
    Click to see Spoiler:
    it is a tunnel that goes under the border.

I liked it. I didn't love Diane Kruger's character but she was ok. I liked the Mexican detective. It has potential.

It's based on a Scandinavian series but I'm not sure how closely they will hew to that show.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I finally watched the first episode and most of the second one last night. I really liked the show, except for one thing. I do not care for the acting skills of the lead female detective. In fact, they are so bad that it distracted me from the otherwise good program. Everyone else is fine and I like the storyline. WHY did they do that? I realize she's a quirky character. Her character must have some kind of developmental disability or personality disorder, etc, where she doesn't relate to people, but it's the acting that is so bad. It's like she's in a high school play. I'm not sure I can hang in there if her acting does not improve. It's a shame.

I'm sure she must be a better actor in other things, as she seems to have fans upthread.

I think the mystery and various stories will be very interesting. I'll give it another episode or two.
    Last edited by Debb70; 07-18-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I finally watched the first episode and most of the second one last night. I really liked the show, except for one thing. I do not care for the acting skills of the lead female detective. In fact, they are so bad that it distracted me from the otherwise good program. Everyone else is fine and I like the storyline. WHY did they do that? I realize she's a quirky character. Her character must have some kind of developmental disability or personality disorder, etc, where she doesn't relate to people, but it's the acting that is so bad. It's like she's in a high school play. I'm not sure I can hang in there if her acting does not improve. It's a shame.

I'm sure she must be a better actor in other things, as she seems to have fans upthread.

I think the mystery and various stories will be very interesting. I'll give it another episode or two.
    Her character has aspergers. I think she is doing a fine job with the character.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Her character has aspergers. I think she is doing a fine job with the character.
    To each his own. I think she may not have been ready for a role so challenging. It's good you like her. I would enjoy the show much more if I did. I will give it another couple of episodes, because I like the premise of the show.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast