+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top of The Lake (Sundance Channel)

Top of The Lake (Sundance Channel)

I'm starting this thread, because this mini series was so good!!!!!!! I ran across it for the first time this weekend. They ran the entire season in a marathon this weekend. I think they are running it every few days. PLUS, you can watch in On-line on Sundance.com.

I highly recommend it. The writing is beautiful and clever. It features Elisabeth Moss and Holly Hunter. The setting is in New Zealand and the views are breathtaking. It's about a police detective, (Moss), who investigates the disappearance of a pregnant 12 year-old girl. Tough subject matter, but still, it's a really a wonderful piece of work.

Moss is unbelievable in her role. Her finest work yet, I bet. The acting of the entire cast is excellent. I haven't been so impressed in a long time.

If anyone else checks it out, please comment. I have a few questions I would love to discuss.

Re: The Top of The Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'm starting this thread, because this mini series was so good!!!!!!! I ran across it for the first time this weekend. They ran the entire season in a marathon this weekend. I think they are running it every few days. PLUS, you can watch in On-line on Sundance.com.

I highly recommend it. The writing is beautiful and clever. It features Elisabeth Moss and Holly Hunter. The setting is in New Zealand and the views are breathtaking. It's about a police detective, (Moss), who investigates the disappearance of a pregnant 12 year-old girl. Tough subject matter, but still, it's a really a wonderful piece of work.

Moss is unbelievable in her role. Her finest work yet, I bet. The acting of the entire cast is excellent. I haven't been so impressed in a long time.

If anyone else checks it out, please comment. I have a few questions I would love to discuss.
    So it is airing on the Sundance Channel, time? day?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

It's already completed its original run on Sundance, but they are rerunning the episodes at various times during the week. It's only 7 episodes total. Maybe check On Demand?

I have the whole series saved, but I haven't sat down and watched it yet.

Now I understand why Elisabeth Moss wasn't at the Inside the Actor's Studio taping with the rest of the cast last year -- they said she was "in New Zealand" filming something.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Select the On Demand feature and on Time Warner Cable, you can spell the name and it will show you the days and times it airs.

I DVR'd it and intend to watch it again soon.

Moss did well with the accent, IMO. She slipped out of it a few times, but all in all, I think she did a good job. She was in many of the scenes.

FORT Fogey

I watched this series too! The views were mesmerizing, and the story was captivating.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    I watched this series too! The views were mesmerizing, and the story was captivating.
    I have some questions about the show. If you haven't watched yet, don't read the spoiler.

Click to see Spoiler:

Why do you think that Tui ran away and hid? From what I have read, it's believed that Matt was not the father of Tui's baby. That was likely a story that Al made up to throw the suspicion off of himself and the other clients who abused these girls. He likely fooled with the DNA samples to show that Matt was the father. Also, Matt couldn't get it up without a pill, as he admitted to his lady friend. Unlikely that he would have taken a drug to get it up for his daugther. And Tui had no memory of getting pregnant, so it must have happened when she was at Al's and after being given ruffies.

Tui wanted to go stay with Matt after she left the police station. She didn't fear him, so why did she run away. She couldn't have been afraid of Al at that time, because she didn't know he did anything. Recall how she was happy to go for the visit to his house at the end with her girlfriends. So who was she running from? Why hide? I couldn't figure that out. Also, wouldn't it have been likely that Jamie, her friend who was killed, would have told her what was happening? They were so close, she's pregnant and he never discusses it with her. Somehow he knew about Al and his games. Recall he referred to Al as the evil one or something like that.

I suspected Al almost from the beginning. When he was protecting Matt, I knew he was VERY corrupt. I was also shocked that Robin allowed Tui to go off with Al after the way he abused Jamie at the police station. She saw it too. Every fiber in her being would have said creep. Plus, there was her experience of passing out at his house that night. To be so smart, I found it difficult to believe that she didn't suspect Al more until the end.

Why do you think that Matt took off with the baby in the forest? Why did he take the baby and leave Tui? Where was he going? I suppose that one theory could be that he was indeed the father of the baby and he was going to get rid of the baby so the evidence of the paternity would not be disclosed. I don't know. It's not very clear.
    Last edited by Debb70; 07-09-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Has anyone noticed that this is in New Zealand and there was not even one black person shown in the entire series? Where are the Maoris? I found it very odd. Loved the series, though.

Re: Top of The Lake (Sundance Channel)

I read a little about New Zealand and thought they had native people who were of Asian decent. That's who I thought some of the ones were on this show. Jamie looked that way as did a few others. I'll have to rewatch and take note of it.

I thought the indigenous people, the Maori, were dark skinned people, but they are Polynesian. I should have remembered that from seeing Maori dancers at Maui Luaus. They're known for their intricate tattoos. I don't remember anything but European types in the roles in this series. Even the pregnant girl was half Asian, wasn't she? It's been a while since I watched it.

Yes. Tui was half Asian. They showed her mother in just one scene. They never really explained why Tui didn't want to go and stay with her mom after she was questioned by police. They asked Tui if she wanted her mom to be called for the test and she declined. She seemed to prefer going back to her father's house. I just can't figure out why. Recall when she first gets home from the police station she goes to her room and points the gun at her dad. Then when she goes to visit the women at the Paradise location, she tells GJ that she doesn't know how to handle her dad. Does she mean dealing with being pregnant or dealing with him abusing her? I just don't get it. I wish the producer would release some kind of explanation so it would make more sense to me.

I also don't know if there will be a Part II. I hope so, since there were so many unanswered questions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast