+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Siberia--pseudo reality show

Re: Siberia--pseudo reality show

I thought it was pretty clear from the first episode that they were not actually filming in Siberia, especially after they said the contestants would be staying there through the winter. Siberia in the winter for the those not acclimated and without special clothing and shelter? They'd be expending all their energy just trying to breathe and keep warm.

I think it's a fun summer entertaining romp through pseudo-reality tv.
    Duckyface likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I thought that the host said that they'd be staying *until* the first day of winter.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Tried to watch with the attitude it was a fun parody of reality survival shows. Still sucks!
    mushybrain likes this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Still liking it, especially what may be out there in the woods. Daniel found that footprint, and the rock drawings. That thing stalking him and Sabina through the woods was easily my favorite part of the episode, I thought it was really well filmed. We hear more from Sabina, it's almost a certainty that knows what's happening, knows the area, likely stole the gun and bullets for when they're needed. I'm finding myself more hooked.

Neeko and Carolina continue to rise as two of the most likeable characters, while Johnny becomes a bigger jerk by the minute, and now that Miljan guy has joined him in pure jerkitude. But after Esther showed some likeable trait by being so distressed over Tommy's death, she does a real hard 180 by letting Victoria eat uncooked mushrooms on purpose. It said "they can be poisonous", and she thought the only thing they'd d was give her a stomachache to force her to quit? Wow, she upped Johnny and Miljan right there. At least she seemed to feel bad about it in the long run, those two buttcracks didn't.

So, Berglind and Harpreet seem to survive by virtue of being eliminated first, George decided to accept the 5,000 dollars for quitting, and now Victoria quits too, though why she only told Daniel about her visions of death is beyond me. Maybe she didn't tell them because they'd think she was crazy, but I don't know, her not telling them was jarring for someone whose short screentime was to show she seemed like a sweet girl. I doubt the show's producers have anything to do with whatever dangerous thing is happening, and I seriously hope they don't, because if they were involved, it would be one lame twist. Anyway, that makes it 4 who likely survived by being out of the game, and Tommy as the only casualty so far, and 16 started out, so that's 11 people left. With all those personalities, it'll be interesting to see what happens, and my list of "I Hope They Survive" is currently Carolina, Neeko, Natalie, Daniel and Irene.

Most curious is next week it seems Daniel recognizes Carolina, saying "that"s where he knows her from. I know where I know her from, wonder what the show will come up with.
    JohnnyK likes this.

The thing that stalked Daniel put me in mind of Lost's smoke monster, which I imagine was the intent. Johnny look to me like Sawyer in the early days. The older guy is reminding me of Locke and I'm getting a Neeko/Jack vibe. Esther is a Shannon type, Daniel/Hurley. I'm thinking of Carolina as Sun or maybe Juliette. Still thinking about the others in the group.

I'm finding this quite enjoyable summer entertainment.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I've made some Siberia avatars and thought this would be the best place to post them. Anyone who wants to use them is free to do so. Also, if you want to request an avatar of a particular character or scene from the show, let me know and I'll see what I can do!

I must be in the minority here - but Neeko gets on my nerves! I just watched it for the first time last night. Not sure if I can get into it yet or not. It's certainly very campy in an horror kind of way.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

I just wish they would show that host more.....YUMMMY -- and that accent? omg....

I'm starting to see the trend here though on the stereotypes each contestant has:

Neeko - the hard working, but kind and helpful, type who wants to dominate but at the same time isn't dominating.

Victoria - a medically evacuated contestant/quits due to extreme mental anguish (her trip from the mushrooms)

Esther - a contestant who uses legal ways to toss out competition, but unlike say Russell Hantz (who did harm his tribe by taking away water), she feels remorse for her choice.

Carolina - a floater of sorts, but one with a secret.

Sabina - a spiritual type.

Daniel - the injured type who doesn't quit/doesn't give up (if I've got the right one - the guy with the injured ankle).

You have your typical jerks who think they're all that but you can see eventually being scared or shocked straight to where they start helping out folks.

Berglind and Harpreet - well basically they're this show's version of the STUPIDEST Survivor twist ever (OK, second behind the purple rock) and one case of "The Amazing Race" (even if I wasn't upset with whom went out), where two contestants came but were eliminated before they got to compete.

George - a contestant there simply for the money, and would take the money and run if it was a guaranteed payday.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I thought that the host said that they'd be staying *until* the first day of winter.
    The captioning said the FIRST day of winter but he actually said, until the end of winter. And a couple of others have referred to food needing to last through the winter, so I think they must have changed the script and forgotten to change the captioning script. THere were a couple of other conflicts as well.

Nice avatars!

+ Reply to Thread