+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Siberia--pseudo reality show

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Siberia--pseudo reality show

OK that was part of a much longer post that I'll finish later... sorry..

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Siberia

THere's another thread going on this over under "non-reality" shows... Somehow the mods should combine these! Please?
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    THere's another thread going on this over under "non-reality" shows... Somehow the mods should combine these! Please?
    I requested the same thing in the other forum, PWS. This is a scripted drama (maybe dramedy ismore accurate) show, so my thought it that it belongs more there than here.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

PWS
    FORT Fogey

OK, trying again...

Luckily I had set to tape this show so I could watch it again. That enabled me to freeze frame it so I could take notes on the people, and I found by the end I could recognize most of them---I should try that on Big Brother and Survivor! So a brief crib sheet based on looks, and occupation/country of origin, or state for the US, since those were hard to read. The stuff in spoiler tags is stuff people do on the show--memorable moments--which will be useful once you've seen the show. Everyone is European extraction unless otherwise noted.

So... the "host" my closed captioning tells me is named Jonathan. He's identified as the host everytime he appears, and he wears that safari shirt type outfit that Jeff Probst sports.

The men (who are more distinctive than the women--as usual on reality shows-- a nice touch!)

Daniel--wears glasses--computer programmer from Minnesota
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the guy who twists his ankle 3 minutes in and has to be helped to the huts

Johnny--very built competitive bull rider from SC--not a spoiler to say that he's the one who takes off at a dead run one minute into the show
    Click to see Spoiler:
    obnoxious, competitive loner, whom the others describe as "cocky"

Tommy --environmental activist from Boston, with some kind of dreads/bandana hairstyle [spoiler} who helps Daniel after D twists his ankle[/spoiler]

Sam--older bald guy--looks a bit like "Locke" from LOST--bouncer from NY
    Click to see Spoiler:
    gets bossy re the mushroom hunting

Neeko --rugby player from London--black
    Click to see Spoiler:
    can keep up with Johnny, but much nicer

Harpreet--South Asian--grad student in Washington, DC
    Click to see Spoiler:
    self described as competitive, but "easily led"

George--older guy with hair--accountant from Kansas
    Click to see Spoiler:
    doesn't do a lot in the first show

Miljan --young with short dark hair, club DJ from Montenegro
    Click to see Spoiler:
    he's the one who thinks it is a good idea to share a bed with Esther--see below--and make the other guys jealous to weaken them

Women

Berglind--Icelandic almost white haired blonde--tall and thin
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I don't see how you could miss her, but she's the one who decides to take a short cut right off the bat

Esther--long medium brown hair, Aussie, a model
    Click to see Spoiler:
    throws away on of the trail marker flags to confuse others, throws a really obnoxious scene about whether or not she will sleep on the floor, goes to sleep with the guys

Carolina--long dark hair--bartenderóCanít read her hometown--
    Click to see Spoiler:
    objected to flag removal by Esther and Esther's behavior in general

Natalie--young blonde, wears a long skirt and long earrings--vet's assistant--CA
    Click to see Spoiler:
    doesnít do much but mushroom hunt the first show

Annie--shorter dark hair, nose stud, graphic designer from Louisiana
    Click to see Spoiler:
    doesnít do much first show

Irene--East Asian --wears a red tutu like skirt--fashion designer from Taiwan
    Click to see Spoiler:
    primary victim of Esther in the bed fight

Victoria--red hair--sales clerk from Canada
    Click to see Spoiler:
    self described as shy

Sabine--slightly darker skin...Middle Eastern? Hispanic?...dark hair
    Click to see Spoiler:
    seems to have gotten to the cabins before others, no one is sure how, mysterious

And if you havenít seen the show yet, donít read this oneÖby the end of the first episode
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Harpreet, Birglind, and Tommy are apparently gone, Tommy apparently dead.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I'm gonna check this out in a couple minutes. It seems pretty cool.

It was okay. Pretty interesting. I liked Tommy from what we saw of him. Too bad he died.

I'll keep watching.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I requested the same thing in the other forum, PWS. This is a scripted drama (maybe dramedy ismore accurate) show, so my thought it that it belongs more there than here.
    I agree, but people seem to be responding more here than there.... MODS---HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I agree, but people seem to be responding more here than there.... MODS---HELP!
    Here, here, here, here!

After all it is psuedo reality.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Okay, I loved this. I loved how it tricks you into thinking it's a reality show and then near the end, wham! The creepy noises, the cameraman, Tommy's death. Really, really effective, especially when compared with Under The Dome, which I didn't enjoy. Even more fun was noticing a few red herring as to why it's not actually a reality show. Such as this mysterious Sabina woman, who's not had any confessionals, has barely spoken a word, managed to get to the settlement before anyone else with no explanation. But I most noticed with Colombian contestant, Carolina, who's not actually Colombian. She's Puerto Rican, namely Joyce Marie Giraud, a model and pageant lady, she represented Puerto Rico in Miss Universe 1998 and was second runner-up, and has also acted in some stuff, so I recognized her intsantly.

Now it's a waiting game. What is killing them? Was it something supernatural, the cause for the disappearance of the settlement's original inhabitants? Or is it a killer using the whole thing as a ruse, or just some crazy psycho in the woods? Considering Tommy's reaction, it may be something else. So far we know that only Berglind and Harpreet will survive, being the ones who got eliminated first. Question is, who'll survive with them? There are some I already like and really hope they survive (namely Carolina, Irene, Daniel, Victoria, Neeko and Natalie), especially because I'm sick and tired of that old horror cliche of only one, two or three people surviving, and especially tired of that cliche made popular in the last 10 years of nobody surviving.
    Florimel likes this.

So since most people here seem to have been tricked for the first half, I guess they did a pretty good job.

But I have to admit that those immediate screams at those noises was a bit over the top. It could have been done better.

I have to say, I've thought of the possibility that in the end nobody survives. It's possible. But I hope it's not the case.

+ Reply to Thread