+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Siberia--pseudo reality show

Re: Siberia--pseudo reality show

Not sure how I feel about the finale or the series. Do I really hope there will be a second season? Don't know at this point.
    Duckyface likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    By golly was this one intense. I loved how they referenced the whole "losing memories" thing mentioned by the Evenki woman from the previous episode, and happy they finally showed that there really is a creature in the woods. The ending with the host, Jonathon, suddenly appearing, telling them they're not supposed to be there, makes me look forward ore for next season, and if there is one, I hope they finally explain where Berglind, Harpreet, George and Victoria are.

Annie's death was seriously harsh, it really took me by surprise, though it does make me wonder how the heck she fell so far behind the others. And just when one thought Esther could not get any lower, she pulls off what she did here, in the aftermath of Annie's death to boot. What a horrible woman. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this first season and ccan only hope the show gets more.
    Losing memories?? I missed that, don't know what you mean.....???

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Losing memories?? I missed that, don't know what you mean.....???
    In the previous episode, Neeko's group were being guided by the Evenki woman, Marilyn (I believe that was her name), and they stopped and went in a different direction when they came across that area with that half-dome thing seen in the tape with Jonny and Joyce. Marilyn explained that that area was cursed and it messed with people's memories, which caused people to become lost and die in the wilderness. So not only are Johnny and Joyce lucky to be alive after being attacked by that thing, they're also lucky they managed to stumble across the camp that night.

I'd like a second season or, if not, a wrap up episode to learn what is behind all this. I got several possibilities. 1. They are all dead which I got primarily from Sam's vision. 2) They are all supposed to be dead, but some have survived, which I got mostly from Buckley's reappearance. 3) They really are one of several test groups (as in Lost), for some government or military project. I'd like at least a little resolution or a point in the right direction.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I am sucked in by the storyline, but there is some really weak dialogue the writers need to address and some really weak acting that the director needs to address. I'm not happy that they didn't really wrap up any of the storylines in the finale very well. I was expecting a satisfying ending of some sort and don't feel I got any.
    Bearcata likes this.

I think it's unlikely there will be a season 2 so the finale was a real letdown. I hate when producers reel you in with the allure of a one season self-contained show that you feel you can just relax for the short run and enjoy a satisfying conclusion, only for said producers to suddenly get ideas about a second season and so don't give a proper ending (The Killing is a good example, as I think it was meant to be one season but then they got a second season pick-up and decided to drag out the identity of the killer. That angered the entire fan base and they never were able to recover). If the ratings are good, they should realize it's because people know it's just a one season show. But I don't think Siberia's ratings ever held promise of a second season so I'm even more confused why we were dealt that crap ending.

I'm going to write my own ending about the tv host showing up: Early on Esther seduced him and promised to share the money with him if he helped her win. They had an arrangement for her to meet him in the apartment (the only one with lights on, which was the signal). But, Esther being Esther, she double crossed him and took the money - maybe ran off with one of the cameramen or other crew member. So, when host guy showed up and saw the rest of the contestants, his remark that "you're not supposed to be here" was his utter surprise that it wasn't Esther with the cash. That's my story anyway, lol. How the gunmen figure in, I'm not sure.

Initially I thought nobody really died and it was all a psychological experiment, but the people in the laboratory looked pretty dead (and apparently smelled it too) so maybe that was something that went awry at the hands of the valley people?
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 09-18-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Ooo! I really like your ending, ACF! If they don't give us a wrap up I'm going to settle for that!

I really liked this show and hope we get to see more of the story.

Something that I wonder and may be worthy of discussion is this... "What exactly are we watching?"

Are we watching the events around a reality show being filmed? In real time? I don't think so, it seems more to be a FINISHED reality show. There are shots from multiple cameras and it is all edited together. There is nothing going on in this story that is not happening in front of a cameraman or an abandoned camera that has been recovered. They even have credits on the contestants like "Johnny, USA - Bull Rider". This makes me think that we are being shown an edited reality show that is already "In the Tank" like Survivor, Bachelor, Amazing Race, & most all of them. It is a finished product and the outcome known. It is the actual reality show "Siberia" that the editors spliced together. I speculate that the finale will be like most others, with all the former contestants there to congratulate the winner.

scoot3 You do know that Siberia is not a reality show at all, but a scripted show about a mythical reality show, don't you. I apologize if I misunderstood your post above, but it did confused me at a bit.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Yes, I know that it is a fictional story. I was just offering up that angle for discussion... I'm speculating that what we are watching, without really knowing, are the ACTUAL episodes of the (fictional) show "Siberia" as they are being aired. This is as opposed to watching "a show about the events that happened while making 'Siberia'". I'm saying... maybe what we are watching is THE SHOW... it's "In the can", gag-orders in place, winner is known to some, etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213