+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 31 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree180Likes

Thread: Under The Dome

Under The Dome

Anyone else planning on watching this? I'm not quite halfway through the book but I figure that it's safe to watch the first episode...I imagine it will be awhile before the series catches up with my reading. Checked out the IMDB page and am a little puzzled by the cast list...it looks like the series might be quite a departure from the book. Specifically, two major characters look much, much younger than their book counterparts (Barbie & Julia). Also, a couple of them are apparently longer-lived than their literary selves. Apparently Stephen King is pleased with the results, so fingers crossed. Since it's network TV, I'm expecting a King-lite version of the book anyway.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Re: Under The Dome

I'm watching. I'll have to record and watch later in the week, but I'm looking forward to this one.

Barbie was a few years younger than Julia in the book. The one I didn't care for was the guy they cast as Chef. He just didn't look the part from the pictures I saw of him. Oh well.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

I kept seeing Matt Frewer as Chef in my reader's eye. I imagined Julia to be in her forties - she mentioned being middle-aged; and with his life experience, Barbie should be somewhere in his mid-thirties. I just hope they don't pretty them up too much. I also pictured John Goodman as Selectman #2 - anyway an actor much heavier than the one I saw in the preview. I can't wait to see if they really show the psychosis of father/son. There is one scene in the preview where it looks like a young blond is crawling toward the shelter door when a female was never present in the shelter.

I've heard that those who've read the book will be happy with the show. I hope so.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Happily, I haven't read the book. So, no expectations and we are really looking forward to seeing this.

Count me in as someone who has not read the book but is excited for the show. I'm recording it to watch later this week.

With TV shows, it's often better not to have read the book, or seen any movie a show is based on. The departures from the source material are usually pretty big.
    First off, TV always has to cast young pretty people to appease the desired demographic.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I haven't read the book; I don't read much Stephen King, but I did read that the show was a planned deviation from the book and that King approved. It was mostly so that those who have read the book wouldn't know the outcome of the tv show. In any case, I plan to try it out and if it's more suspense than horror, I'll probably continue watching.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I'm very interested but it's way past my bedtime and we don't record. Does anyone know if this is a series that CBS is likely to offer episodes online?

I watched it and was disappointed. The best King adaptations follow his books closely. This doesn't. It was pretty standard network TV fare and I had hoped for more, I guess. By the last 10 minutes, I was bored enough to start working on my laptop. As for the cast...I've never been to Maine (though I would love to visit it one day) but I would be quite surprised to find the rural communities stocked with such unnaturally attractive and politically-correct diverse populations. And I guess no one wants to watch 40-somethings (or older) in the lead roles. I'm not just being nitpicky -the main theme of UTD is the corruption and hypocrisy of the fundamentalist town leaders and police force. It was supposed to be more than just a bunch of people stuck inside an upside-down fishbowl.

Having said that, my husband enjoyed it (he did not read the book). So if you didn't read the book, the odds that you'll like it are a lot better, I suppose. I am just really reaching to think of anything I liked about it. It will stay on our PVR since the husband is interested, so I'll give it another episode or so before I quit.
    DesertRose likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Kiz

Well, I had planned to watch it, but I guess I already missed the first episode. I'll check to see if it's on OnDemand. I got 11/22/63 as a gift when it was first released which rekindled my interest in Stephen King. So, I also read Under the Dome. I only remember bits and pieces from the book, so I don't think it would have bothered me too much if the story was changed for TV. Usually, I don't mind those changes anyway because I like to be surprised. Plus, I don't remember feeling too attached to any of the characters. I sort of got bored by the end of the book too.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 31 1234567891011 ... LastLast