+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Under The Dome

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Under The Dome

For those who never plan to read the book here's a safe list to read of some of the differences from the book....it won't spoil you for the show, since clearly the show isn't going down these routes----but you can see why those who read the book are like, WHAAAA???? In fact the list might intrigue you into reading the book, since it's clearly a different story---about all they agree on is that there's a dome and it zaps you the first time you touch it!
    Click to see Spoiler:

Barbie in the book is a short order cook wanderer type, ex military, who's leaving town as the book starts as he's run afoul of Junior and friends and gotten beaten up in a back alley (motive again some misplaced jealousy)---he's hitching and almost gets out. He hasn't killed anyone. On the other hand a lot of people know and like him because of his time working at the diner. The woman who owns the diner is also a major character.
    The newspaper editor is a strong single woman whose dad and granddad ran the paper, a little older than Barbie, and has no husband for Barbie to kill.
    The sheriff dies early from pacemaker problems, but he was a good guy--trying to expose the reason for the nefarious propane orders, not justifying him. Those justifications belong to other characters. His widow, another strong woman, plays an important role.
    The radio guy is running a religious music station all by himself, for one of the local ministers. He's very weird from the first time you see him in the book.
    The other main minister in town, is another strong woman, married to an EMT.
    Junior kills his girlfriend very early on and puts her in a coat closet, where he visits her dead body and has sex periodically---no fall out shelter behind the house.
    On the other hand the town hall does have a fall out shelter that plays an important role.
    There are 3 teens, 2 boys and a girl, who play an important role, but later in the book than the teen who fell off the bike seems to be doing.
    Junior's dad is also a bad guy, as in the movie, but he's positioned himself as the power behind the throne, behind a easily manipulated other man and with a kind of drugged out woman as the 3rd member of the council. The easily manipulated man was the husband of the woman killed in the plane (she was taking flying lessons). In the film he seems to be outside the dome, but in the book he played a major role.
    There are tourists trapped in the town, but they are an older college prof and his nubile student girlfriend, who take over supervision of two fairly young tourist children whose mom left them to run into the neighboring town for groceries while they were staying in a cabin.
    Cows play a role, in that a major character's family raises them, but I don't recall such a neat slicing!
    Sooo, you can see, the dome is still there, but the cast is quite different! The visions of falling pink stars are in the book, too---so maybe they are keeping all the physical parts of the book!

OK, posted the above without seeing the Mod's comment on book vs. show....but in case anyone wants to read the book, de novo, this saves you from having the first chapter or two spoiled.
    Last edited by PWS; 06-26-2013 at 01:57 PM.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Based on the book, he is - at least for the most part. I do not know yet how they'll portray him for the series.
    In the book the omniscent narrator gives a good explanation for Junior's behavior--even worse in the book than in the flim, so far. Don't know how they will work that in in the story on the show, or if he will be as bad in the show as in the book....in the book
    Click to see Spoiler:
    he has a brain tumor
    . But they are making major plot changes and personality changes so doubt the book predicts much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Can someone explain to me why all the networks decide to air their shows at 10 pm Monday night? At this point Under the Dome is airing at the same time as Longmire, King and Maxwell, Teen Wolf and Siberia.
    Because the networks all have furnished their programming offices with playpens to accommodate the development stages of their decision makers. That would be my theory.
    march and Sticker like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Kiz

Both links are a teeny spoilerish, especially if you haven't read the book:

Stephen King defends changes in 'Under the Dome'...and teases new plotlines | PopWatch | EW.com

Under the Dome - A Letter From Stephen

Click to see Spoiler:
    I didn't know I was the only one who didn't care for solution King came up with for the dome until I read his letter.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Interesting! Especially that some readers didn't like his "solution" for the Dome...I was one of those, felt it was a bit of a cop out. And the show will have a completely different solution.... OK, I can live with that.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Yes, I've come to terms as well. He is right, we can always read the book, it is always there.
    Sticker likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Yes, I've come to terms as well. He is right, we can always read the book, it is always there.
    EXACTLY! I loved his explanation!!!

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Thanks for the letter from Uncle Stevie...makes complete sense and gets me more excited about the series if the origin of the dome differs from the book. I totally felt like it was a cop out too and can't wait to see what else someone thought it could be. Haven't seen the first one yet, but it is just waiting for me to get around to it. I think this will definitely keep me entertained - at least for a little while!
    Sticker likes this.
    Wag more, bark less

I taped it & just watched it this morning. I thought it started really well. They didn't waste any time getting us into the story. Kind of reminded me of the start of Lost. Even the introductory music. Very similar. I knew it came from a King book, but haven't read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    If the sheriff is really gone, I'm quite disappointed because Jeff Fahey was one of my prime reasons for checking it out in the first place. He is listed as a cast regular, so perhaps we'll see more of him in flashbacks.
    I was pleasantly surprised to see Jeff Fahey too. I really hope he isn't gone. He's great to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    The real turnoff for me was the character of Junior. I generally don't enjoy watching that type at all.
    I felt the same way. I was really hoping he was one who died early, but it doesn't look that way. I have a feeling that is one part of the show I'm not going to enjoy.

All in all they gave us some interesting characters. if they keep the pace good & the stories interesting, I'm in.

I'm hoping the story goes: Them against whatever's causing this, & finding a solution.
    I hope it doesn't go: Them against each other in a free-for-all looting & destruction extravaganza. Maybe a little, we have to have bad guys, but that's all.

The strength & resilience of mankind when necessary is a favorite of mine.
    The rotttenness & cruelty of mankind instead, isn't.
    I like to see characters live up to their potential, not down below it.
    Florimel, Alexxxx and Sticker like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Junior
    Click to see Spoiler:
    played a big part in the book, all the way up until the end for the most part. I don't see how they could possibly kill him off early.
    But with all the changes they've already made to the major characters, who knows what will happen.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

+ Reply to Thread